Region free HDMI DVD player @ Mitashi or ......

happy1978

Dear All,

I wanna buy HDMI DVD player which must be region free because I wanna play all type of DVD's:p

I short listed two dvd players Mitashi 911 and LG dv388

but recently found that LG dv388 is also region coded. So finally Mitashi 911 is only choice to me but iam unable to find it on any shop in chandigarh and surrounding. Then I checked on ebay and found it there for 2850/-.

The specification of mitashi 911 is

Full HD(1080i)/ Video upscaling/HDMI/USB/Card reader
Mitashi Edutainment Pvt. Ltd. - DVF 911 - Builtin Flash Card Reader

Technical Features:
COMPATIBLE WITH DIVX / HDCD / DVD / VCD / CD / CD-RW /MP3/ JPEG / USB
FLASH CARD READER SD / MS / MMC
108 MHZ / 12 BIT VIDEO DA
DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 CHANNEL SURROUND SOUND, COMPONENT
VIDEO, S -VIDEO OUTPUT
MULTI ANGLE , ZOOM AND SLOW
FULL FUNCTIONAL REMOTE CONTROL
UNIVERSAL POWER SUPPLY : AC 110V-240V, 50/60 Hz, 15W
VIDEO, S -VIDEO OUTPUT

Warranty: 6 months warranty from Mitashi

Now please suggest me , whether I go for it or there is any alternative option available. Your feedback and suggestion are welcome, I will be very thankful to you. Please reply.:eek:

Happy, the Mitashi is not meant for serious home use. It is meant for shops and commercial establishments, and for people who don't care about the quality of the output. At that cost, the manufacturer will have cut many corners.

Please look for players from LG, Samsung, Pioneer and Philips. Most of these brands are being used by different members here and they are all happy with it. If the LG is region locked, I am sure there must be easy ways of unlocking it. These will cost you between 5 to 7 thousand rupees.

Around the price of the Mitashi, better models are Moserbaer MB-6988 at 2,990, Onida Candy at 3,990, and the Onida DFX-5985 at 3,290.

Cheers

By increasing your budget to another Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1500 you will get a much better player. Stick with Sony, Philips, or any other known brand. Of course they will be region coded and there is no guarantee to make them region free...

I got myself a couple of DVD players to overcome this region coding problem. Now that might not sound logical per se, but I have been using them for a couple of years now and almost on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. I am quite sure the Mitashi will never last that long and will be money wasted down the drain in the long run.

Check Philips since they are good and affordable and also you can update the firmware quite easily by just burning the updates on a CD and popping into the DVD player...

Dear All,

I wanna buy HDMI DVD player which must be region free because I wanna play all type of DVD's:p

I short listed two dvd players Mitashi 911 and LG dv388

but recently found that LG dv388 is also region coded. So finally Mitashi 911 is only choice to me but iam unable to find it on any shop in chandigarh and surrounding. Then I checked on ebay and found it there for 2850/-.

The specification of mitashi 911 is

Full HD(1080i)/ Video upscaling/HDMI/USB/Card reader
Mitashi Edutainment Pvt. Ltd. - DVF 911 - Builtin Flash Card Reader

Technical Features:
VIDEO, S -VIDEO OUTPUT
VIDEO, S -VIDEO OUTPUT

Warranty: 6 months warranty from Mitashi

Now please suggest me , whether I go for it or there is any alternative option available. Your feedback and suggestion are welcome, I will be very thankful to you. Please reply.:eek:

LG DV 388 is region free I think. I will check the manual and get back to you on that !

While swamping through the net I stumbled upon this....
Might be of some interest to you!!!

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes

Enjoy yourself!!!

Thanks Ravi peter, but I already searched this site, they dont have region hacks for lg dv 388 & samsung 1080pk.:confused:

Happy, the Mitashi is not meant for serious home use. It is meant for shops and commercial establishments, and for people who don't care about the quality of the output. At that cost, the manufacturer will have cut many corners.

Please look for players from LG, Samsung, Pioneer and Philips. Most of these brands are being used by different members here and they are all happy with it. If the LG is region locked, I am sure there must be easy ways of unlocking it. These will cost you between 5 to 7 thousand rupees.

Around the price of the Mitashi, better models are Moserbaer MB-6988 at 2,990, Onida Candy at 3,990, and the Onida DFX-5985 at 3,290.

Cheers

Thanks venkatcr, yah. you are right that mitashi is not having good quality but it is the only one available with both my requirements which is ''region free and upscaling ability with hdmi port''. Although I can stretch my budget but all models suggested by you are not having hdmi port for upscaling.:eek:

Agree with venkat,

Happy, just search through the forums there are a lot of threads running on dvd players , you will find them very informative.

LG DV388 is far superior tham Mitashi, few of our forum members already have the same and have provided feedback for the same, just read through and then make your decision -

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/1692-best-dvd-player-iwth-usb.html

LG DV 388 is region free I think. I will check the manual and get back to you on that !

thanks Dushie & illusion, yes you are right LG DV388 is the better choice but the only problem is region coding. dear illusion please update, iam looking for your feedback.

By increasing your budget to another Rs. 1000 to Rs. 1500 you will get a much better player. Stick with Sony, Philips, or any other known brand. Of course they will be region coded and there is no guarantee to make them region free...

I got myself a couple of DVD players to overcome this region coding problem. Now that might not sound logical per se, but I have been using them for a couple of years now and almost on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever. I am quite sure the Mitashi will never last that long and will be money wasted down the drain in the long run.

Check Philips since they are good and affordable and also you can update the firmware quite easily by just burning the updates on a CD and popping into the DVD player...

Thanks moserw, In the meantime I also checked philips dvd player and its quality is really impressed me. Now Iam searching net for its region code hack:D.

Yes it is region coded, got mine yesterday , friend got it from delhi,
i put in a divxtester disk it played all formats except hd video, it even played high bitrate format,

played a movie though usb thumb drive it played excellent, also didn't face any issues with FF & Rew speed ,

Only thing which i felt was lacking is, configuration options,

It does not have so many options for output and video configuration... like my sammy hd 860 .

But at Rs 2800, i said what the heck and went for it ...

So i also join the club of lg dv388 members now..

(Phillips 5992 was also available in Delhi for Rs 4250, but as Lg was cheaper i went for that, to get more bang for buck )

Yes it is region coded, got mine yesterday , friend got it from delhi,
i put in a divxtester disk it played all formats except hd video, it even played high bitrate format,

played a movie though usb thumb drive it played excellent, also didn't face any issues with FF & Rew speed ,

Only thing which i felt was lacking is, configuration options,

It does not have so many options for output and video configuration... like my sammy hd 860 .

But at Rs 2800, i said what the heck and went for it ...

So i also join the club of lg dv388 members now..

(Phillips 5992 was also available in Delhi for Rs 4250, but as Lg was cheaper i went for that, to get more bang for buck )

Rs 2800/- for the LG :eek: !! Did you also get the HDMI cable ??

Rs 2800/- for the LG :eek: !! Did you also get the HDMI cable ??

Nope got it without the HDMI cable, but no sweat as i already had a cable from my older player hooked it up through that and its working fine.

My friend bought a Phillips 5996 for himself and a lg dv388 for me,

He just left today back to Delhi,

Reasons for buying lg dv 388 -

Plays movies through external hdd flawlessly.
Price was a steal and Phillips was costing Rs 1500 more than the Lg.
HDMI is working like a charm no issues at all with my Sammy Q9 plasma.

No luck in making it region free till now.

But i hardly play and dvd's as i have over 900 movies all in avi and divx format which play fine.

If anyone does make it region free , it will be great ...

2800 is great pick, here dealers are asking 3800.

Hmm I wonder then would it be to safe to peg the price of the HDMI cable as Rs 790/- ( Rs 3590-2800) ???

@happy1978 - local taxes coming into play I guess . But if I were you I would try 2 -3 shops. There was a difference if Rs 100/- between ezone and the local electronics shop at my neighbourhood.

As i posted in my other post -

I had both the options the 5996 or the dv 388

i went for lg dv 388 and my friend bought phillips 5996.

Maxtor portable 2.5" - 250gb hd is not recognised in the dv 388,
5996 recognizes the drive and plays the files.

Guess it may be because 5996 has usb 2 port and dv388 has usb 1.1.

Nope got it without the HDMI cable, but no sweat as i already had a cable from my older player hooked it up through that and its working fine.

My friend bought a Phillips 5996 for himself and a lg dv388 for me,

He just left today back to Delhi,

Reasons for buying lg dv 388 -

Plays movies through external hdd flawlessly.
Price was a steal and Phillips was costing Rs 1500 more than the Lg.
HDMI is working like a charm no issues at all with my Sammy Q9 plasma.

No luck in making it region free till now.

But i hardly play and dvd's as i have over 900 movies all in avi and divx format which play fine.

If anyone does make it region free , it will be great ...

Dushie,

Where are you based? 900 movies is a whole lot. I will definitely want to get together and swap movies with you if possible and ok with you.

I am based in Bangalore, have all the movies burnt on dvd disks, i download whatever stuff i need,

I am based in Bangalore, have all the movies burnt on dvd disks, i download whatever stuff i need,

Sound like my king of guy . I am an avid move watcher too with sometimes 4 Eng movies back to back . Thats how I prefer to spend my weekends especially Saturday when wifey has office and me all alone at my home . English movies have so much more to offer as far as storyline is concerned that the Bollywood films. Currently watching Righteous Kill .

I think I will soon come up with a full scale review of the LG DV 388 as I think I have seen enough movies to really comment on this player.

I will touch bases with you next time I am in Bangalore. Have spent many years of my childhood there, but it has changed a lot now.

BTW where you do d/l stuff from? I use torrents and mainly Isohunt...

What kind of movies do you watch? I am mainly into English and with the addition of my HT System I am busy building a 5.1 collection since all my 2 channel rips don't do justice on the Onkyo sadly.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back