Repair and retain vs Replace? 3 year old Sony KLV-46V400A with faulty panel

shashank

Hi,

I have a Sony KLV-46V400A purchased in October 2008. It was running finne until in March when i noticed that half of the screen would have ghost/double image problem whereas the other half would be fine. After about 15 mins the screen would be perfect. Absolutely no sign of any problem. The son service engineer inspected the set and told us that the panel is to be changed and quoted approx 37k for the job:(
Since march i've been using it in the same state and off late it has developed a new problem wherein the screen is blan and i can only hear the audio in any output. I have to restart it a few times before i see any display and after 15 mins the image is fine.
I am in a dilemma whether to repair and retain the same set or to buy a new one? Need your suggestion on this.

If i buy a new one i am keen on buying a plasma, however i have a tubelight exactly opposite where i place my tv(approx distance 20ft from tv) will that cause too much of reflection?

Depends on to the extent of the guarantee that Sony gives to you after replacing the panel for Rs 37000.
Anyway a new plasma of Samsung 51 inch will cost you around Rs 68000/- (3D)

Well a new 46" lcd even if you buy from grey market be it a samsung or sony will set you back atleast 55k.

Well since the problem goes and comes,its must be some bad cable in the panel or soldering in the panel , it could also be the image processing board .
When you say you get only sound and screen is blank is the backlight off or is it just the picture.

Do consider a NON-sony service centers,like people who service mainly lcds.

Todays authorized service centers just replace the entire part ,gone are the days when then just replace a single part in a pcb.

Hi,

I have a Sony KLV-46V400A purchased in October 2008. It was running finne until in March when i noticed that half of the screen would have ghost/double image problem whereas the other half would be fine. After about 15 mins the screen would be perfect. Absolutely no sign of any problem. The son service engineer inspected the set and told us that the panel is to be changed and quoted approx 37k for the job:(
Since march i've been using it in the same state and off late it has developed a new problem wherein the screen is blan and i can only hear the audio in any output. I have to restart it a few times before i see any display and after 15 mins the image is fine.
I am in a dilemma whether to repair and retain the same set or to buy a new one? Need your suggestion on this.

If i buy a new one i am keen on buying a plasma, however i have a tubelight exactly opposite where i place my tv(approx distance 20ft from tv) will that cause too much of reflection?

well my d550 is allmost similarly placed in the room(about 22-25 ft long) with a tubelight exactly opposite the tv(22-25 ft away)....Very Honestly,all i can say & assure u that, other than when the tv is OFF, tv's reflection if any is Not distracting at all for general tv viewing,..except mayb some very dark/night scene of hollywood movies...but i can manage very well with controlled lightings that i have! Just similar like u,i too heard the worst regarding various issues of the 51d550 including crazy reflection....until i got the d550 & honestly found everything completely blown out of proportion!...but still dont take my words for it & do a d550 demo yourself,particularly at night times...when all tubes & cfl in the showroom r brightly ON!

Depends on to the extent of the guarantee that Sony gives to you after replacing the panel for Rs 37000.
Anyway a new plasma of Samsung 51 inch will cost you around Rs 68000/- (3D)

Sony offered a 6 month warranty on the panel alone.

Well since the problem goes and comes,its must be some bad cable in the panel or soldering in the panel , it could also be the image processing board .
When you say you get only sound and screen is blank is the backlight off or is it just the picture.

Do consider a NON-sony service centers,like people who service mainly lcds.

The backlight is on but i don't see any picture. If it is a loose cable/soldering issue how does it be normal after 15min or so ? The service advisor said that the main board was fine

Inclined more towards exchanging this tv in as-is condition and upgrading to a plasma. Any views on which is better ? Panasonic V20 or 42ST30D. Dealer quoted 1.4 approx for 50 inch V20

@indiglo:Thanks for the input :) will demo all plasma tv's only at night to factor in the extent of reflection in each brand

Last edited:
Well heat plays a role,so expansion and contraction can lead to loose contacts,
Do check it out at a lcd repair shop.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back