Restoring LP’s

Jayram iyer

Hi,
While clearing my wife’s apartment,we stumbled across a large collection of LP’s,in a cardboard carton.They belonged to my father in law ,who apparently was a music aficionado
I would like to get them checked for their condition and explore on how to restore them.My knowledge on turntablea are very primitive
Would invite suggestions and recommendations on how to move ahead.

Thanks

Not an absolute expert but a thorough cleaning of the actual record would be needed since it's been lying uncared and unused since many years maybe

Congrats on your find. Since they have been in storage for a long time, you will need to clean them.
  1. Do not use tap water to do this - am sure you have seen what hard water does to your tiles/taps...imagine what it will do to plastic. Use distilled or bottle water(Aquafina, Bisleri, etc)
  2. You will need a wet cleaning record brush to clean them, this is what I use- https://www.amazon.com/Nitty-Gritty-Nylon-Bristle-bristle/dp/B003D7GKLK or in the absence of this you can use a toothbrush (sensitive).
  3. Place your record on your turntable platter and place the brush gently on the record while spinning it. Make sure the bristles are getting into the grooves. Do a few spins - clockwise and anticlockwise. Then rinse properly(very important step) to get all the dirt of. You can either wipe off the excess water with microfiber cloth(new/clean) or dry naturally(better but slower)
BTW what turntable do you have? If it's an old one you have not used for a long time, you will will have to set it up correctly(Tracking force, cartridge alignment etc.) You might even have to change the stylus(needle) for best results. Lots of videos on you tube on turntable setup. here's a good one:

Good luck

Last edited:
@plasmoid

Thank you for the tips. I do not own any turntables and as mentioned earlier , my knowledge is very limited.
I might need your suggestions/guidance on how to buy one.My current amplifier has a phono output that supports MM but not MC

Can you recommend any professional or services that I can avail to get the LP’s restored?
I do not want to risk doing it myself,as I have no experience in handling it

Regards

@plasmoid

Thank you for the tips. I do not own any turntables and as mentioned earlier , my knowledge is very limited.
I might need your suggestions/guidance on how to buy one.My current amplifier has a phono output that supports MM but not MC

Can you recommend any professional or services that I can avail to get the LP’s restored?
I do not want to risk doing it myself,as I have no experience in handling it

Regards

I haven't heard of anyone cleaning LPs in India. Sometime back I heard Absolute Phase in Bangalore used to do it using a record cleaning machine but I have no personal experience with this. It's no big deal cleaning LPs, there are a lot of instructional videos on Youtube.

Hi jayram

your signature shows a nice setup

request you to please put up a pic of your setup on this thread or on the - showcase your audio video thread..

regards

Firstly, you should definitely buy a record player. There are plenty of options these days, both used and new. Secondly, if you have the budget, invest in a record cleaning machine. They are worth their weight in gold. If that is too expensive, get a spin clean or cheaper option.

Even after cleaning some records can still be very noisy. The best solution for this is to use the wood glue technique (you can google it). I have restored some LPs that seemed beyond saving, and now sound close to new using this method.

If you have a lot of records, you should try to have a DIY record cleaning system or invest in a spin clean machine. The only issue with the spin clean machine is that the consumables are expensive. Before that, examine the quality of records for scratches. Look at the center of the label to see if the records have been used heavily. If its used , there will be marks on it. Depending on the quality of the records, you should try to decide what type of turntable you should invest in. Can guide in that aspect if required.

Hi Jayram
congratulations for getting bundle of records.
I would suggest first yoy remove dust and store records properly and try cleaning few records by using IPA+distilled water ( IPA 20%+water 80%) if you find this method works then clean other records.
I recomnend not to give someone for cleaning.
Preserve this treasure as long as you can..
and don't be panic for acquaring analoge equipment for playing the records, first research take opinion from genuine user and then acquire new equipment.

regards
andis

Wonderful and uncomplicated...

And thank you..

Regards
Thank you

Hi Jayram
congratulations for getting bundle of records.
I would suggest first yoy remove dust and store records properly and try cleaning few records by using IPA+distilled water ( IPA 20%+water 80%) if you find this method works then clean other records.
I recomnend not to give someone for cleaning.
Preserve this treasure as long as you can..
and don't be panic for acquaring analoge equipment for playing the records, first research take opinion from genuine user and then acquire new equipment.

regards
andis
Thanks for your suggestions. Am in no hurry to buy the player.

A rug in front will be very beneficial
Yes. I do want to do that. But getting consent from wife is a pain..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a lot of records, you should try to have a DIY record cleaning system or invest in a spin clean machine. The only issue with the spin clean machine is that the consumables are expensive. Before that, examine the quality of records for scratches. Look at the center of the label to see if the records have been used heavily. If its used , there will be marks on it. Depending on the quality of the records, you should try to decide what type of turntable you should invest in. Can guide in that aspect if required.
Thank you. I will definitely reach out for help

Vinyl vac +Wet vacume cleaned+Distilled water+Triton x100+enzyme cleaner+Old Broken Turn Table(Procure it from Chor Bazar For Rs 400 max.We want a rotating platter,may not have working motor+time +passion.= Sparkling Clean Vinyl Records.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back