Review: Focal , NAD & MyDAC

Safar

It is along pending review from my side since the FM helped me to set up a new HiFi system. I had to spend quality time with the new setup in order not to share just the first impressions. Now the focals are with me from last November, with quite a lot of running time.

First, The Setup: Two sources, First one is iPAD3 with a CCK to extract the digital out. This goes to the USB in of MyDAC via a Belikin Powered USB hub using an AWM usb cable. Second one is the Pioner LX 55 BDP, connected to the MyDAC using opical Toslink (MX Cables). Direct Audio out of LX 55 is also connected the NAD 356 for comparison. DAC and MX RCA cables respectively.

Focals: 816 is 2.5 way, two port design. A front port and and a down port, opening to the cast aluminium base. First, looks and build quality of this speaker is excellent. Well, they required almost 60 Hrs of running in time before they opened up completely. One of my struggle was placement, With two ports, it could be quite a struggle to fit in a small place. They will need to be at least half a meter away from the walls (Surprisingly no rear port though). ANd you will have to have quite good breathing space for them to perform. For a room less than 25 SqM, They are unlikely to pull in the best performance. Bass could be bothersome in such spaces.

Being said that, once their pre requisites are satisfied, they are excellent speakers with a typical sound signature compared to British and US counterparts. First thing one notices will be the highs. Crystal clear high frequencies with a sweetness that pleases Jazz, regional, Claissic, alternative rock and POP lovers. Mids are very clear and transparent. Those will throw vocal with authority from a good recording. At the same time, These focal will show red face to a badly recorded live performance. (I had to say sorry to Late Jagjitji for not allowing to play his live Singapore performance on these speakers ). Hariharan's Hasrat is one of my reference album for the vocal clarity on these speakers. You might as well hear his breath between the notes. What pleases me a lot are the Tabla notes that really comes alive and hanging in the air. Another reference is Olivier Nelsons Jazz performance , the Blues and Abstract truth. The recording is quite old but this one really exposes the Jazz capability of these speaker. If you close your eyes, You will be quite in a concert hall. It is just like a live performance in front of you, With the bugle note flying in the air around. Now the Bass performance, Bass is tight and it could be a bit bass heavy depends on the placement and electronics behind. Pink Floyd's another brick in the wall is being played with a lot of weight and aggression, with very deep bass. Hotel California just flows with an easiness, quite good balance of Soft Bass, Drums, Vocals and the pleasing highs. When comes to hard rock and heavy metal, these speaker are still in control, but not the best. The bass response is not fast enough to satisfy the fast changing bass on these geners.

NAD 356: This one was the best choice I had with my budget after spending a good sum for the speakers. Well for the money and purpose 356 is satisfying. Build quality is excellent and they are very rugged construction. I prefer fuller music and deep bass at low volumes, hence 356 is still my best bet for. Nothing to complain as such, but the bass can be bit bloated if not tuned carefully (Source, Tone control etc). Being said that, when budget allows, an upgrade is in card (Probably a Naim). The focals are demanding more than NAD.

Micromega MYDAC: Another French creation, skinny cute little box with just sufficient inputs. When I first connected this DAC to my system, I was highly disappointed, not hearing a big improvement compared to the audio out of the iPAD. I let it run overnight to break in, and I can smile now. What difference this DAC brings in now - The scale. Scale is much more bigger now with good authority and enhanced bass, polished highs. This one is being marketed as USB DAC and is true. The USB performance is what worth it is. I could not find any major improvement when the LX 55 is connected through the optical input, compared to the audio out of LX 55 (By the way, LX 55 has decent DAC 32 bit / 192 Khz). I am using the Drums of Fire 3 , track 11 (Rain) as the reference. MyDAC forces me to repeat this again and again, Separation is quite good, and every instrument has a quite lot of authority. After MyDAC is added to the chain, bass is quite controlled now. With a good recording and quality track, this one gives feeling of expensive air around the instruments. But it can disappoint if you are playing a normal MP3 track or an average quality recording. They are at their best when playing high definition music. I had 96 Khz tracks from eagles and modern talking which were played with attacking bass and toned vocals. At this point I dont suggest MyDAC for non USB purpose, I will wait for improvements after some more running in.

Focal Chorus 816v excellent speakers,once you get used to Focal sound you wont be satisfied with any other speakers that easily.

Update: now I burned in the coax and optical channels for a good amount of time, I would say they sound more hi fi now, my initial impressions are vanished. It sound in good control and crisp music.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back