RIP - rajesh Khanna

As a kid growing up in the 1980s (after TV came to our home in 1982), we used to have the Sunday Evening DD Hindi Movie (before the days Trivandrum Doordarshan was commissioned). Every time a Rajesh Khanna movie was announced, we sort of felt ok but not excited about it as we wanted more of Dharmendra, Vinod Khanna and Amitabh movies with a lot of action. My first view of Rajesh was seeing his colour photo with one of our neighbours back in the late 1970s.

Of course, we were only brought up to believe that Amitabh was the superstar of Hindi movies and hence we did not care too much for Rajesh.

When his Havells ad came out, it is only then that the interest was rekindled and I read a lot about him and his days as India's first superstar. Also watched the BBC documentary Bombay Superstar on youtube and only then, got to realize what a huge star he was.

Since then, i've been following the progress closely, was happy when he appeared on the balcony at Aashirwad...but from the look on his face, I knew that the end was on the way. Even still, was shocked to read the rediff.com breaking news when it happened. The cause/illness has been kept under cover but from his looks and lifestyle, I can say that we can safely assume that he had either cancer or cirrhosis of the liver. It is really unfortunate. RIP.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back