Roadmap of my setup : need inputs and recommendation from the pro's

AVR im re-thinking

Speakers discussion Open now :)
i asked Htstore bout MONITOR 9 he said its cost around 60K, but in the speaker pricelist mantained here its says only 47K only where its avilable in this price?
any review avout MONITOR 11 ? and aprox cost ?

sub, any review about velodyne subs ? or any recommendation for subs.

bottom line:- im doing research on various possible FS now, i will list it out soon in a day or two.

Last edited:
btw guys what you think about this?

slide2.jpg

Hi,
Here is better comparison chart for the Denon receivers and included is the comparison for different levels of Audyssey calibration. This will help you in the decision.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1MJnm9Fo4kCajVsYzJQb3lUMXlhSUE5UGswUWJOQQ

Between 1712 and 1912, strangly 1712 has better calibration trade off is losing apple airplay, networking and DLNA.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ravi Macha
TechArt Home Theater
By the time i read that piece of info, let me give a sock :) im re-thinking about the avr.... denon1912 is still an option but i will look for better avr if possible, regardless of Denon logo :p
it seems i was inclined towards Denon without knowing other competitors.

AVR im re-thinking

Speakers discussion Open now :)
i asked Htstore bout MONITOR 9 he said its cost around 60K, but in the speaker pricelist mantained here its says only 47K only where its avilable in this price?
You should be able to get a good price on the FS after you audition them and "discuss with the dealer"! Not in stock now? - Time to audition other FS

sub, any review about velodyne subs ? or any recommendation for subs.
I have a Velodyne Impact 10 sub - shakes the house....

Netant,

I have Velodyne Impact 12 - which is good enough for my requirements though I have read in this forum that there are better subs available

+1 to Flash's inputs - I am currently running my set up with AVR + 5.1 which i set up over time and the SW. I have gone further north by picking up Polk RTI A9 as against many recommendations - Good for Music and movies - Still need a Power Amp to unleash their full potential - So golden rule take in all suggestions but Audition Audition Audition and pick what sounds good to you

Velodyne seems to be a good option.

Btw one doubt, i have a fair amount of music Cd in DVDA 5.1, will i be missing something using Denon 1912 with 2FS & a sub?
planing to hook my unused and aging PS2 via tosslink to the AVR down the line for those mediums.

finalized for audition :-
AVR:- Denon 1912/ 1712
SUB:- Velodyne Impact 10
FS:- Paradigm Monitor Series (which model yet to decide, will audition all side by side, when monitor-9 available in stock with HTstore, i like the guy Lokesh, very helpful over the phone, unlike the proFX's don't care attitude guy).

In some other forum i heard monitor 11 is as not punchy as monitor 9, and in some older people saying monitor 9 is not as crisp as monitor 7 :)
canchi, could you please shed some light ? and do i require a center for 5.1 High resolution FLAC/ DVDA ? in that case i can drop sub now and buy 2 FS & center. please suggest.

in the meantime my this question gone unnoticed.. please help me understanding

paradigm monitor-9, the specs says:- 4-driver, 2-1/2-way bass reflex, quasi-3rd-order resistive port, ....
i don't get the real meaning of 2-1/2-way bass reflex, are they better the 3-way bass reflex.
As somewhere i read full range speaker should have 3-way bass reflex, don't know how far that stands true.

Last edited:
I would suggest you finalise the speakers first (stereo speakers) and then go for the suitable amp for that. You should find the best speakers for stereo \ music and once you decide on the speakers, try finding the best AVR in your budget and dont forget the performance of those speakers with a stereo amp (which can come in your budget). A speaker which can give a good performance for music can give equally or better performance for movies. (Dont go after the punch of the speakers, you will find it less later and you will not be satisfied w/o adding a sub) So, start with a good FL/FR speakers (for music) and the matching AVR and later you can add a sub and a center.

Don't get tied up in tech specs. 2-1/2 way simply implies that you don't have a dedicated mids driver but rather mids+woofer. So a 4 driver, 2-1/2 way has 1 tweeter, 1 mid+woofer, 2 dedicated woofer. Some say a 3 driver system is better as then you have (at least) a dedicated driver for each of the range (highs, mids, lows). However, it depends on what you like when you hear one.

finalized for audition :-
AVR:- Denon 1912/ 1712
SUB:- Velodyne Impact 10
FS:- Paradigm Monitor Series HTstore, i like the guy Lokesh, very helpful over the phone, unlike the proFX's don't care attitude guy).
In some other forum i heard monitor 11 is as not punchy as monitor 9, and in some older people saying monitor 9 is not as crisp as monitor 7 :)
canchi, could you please shed some light ? and do i require a center for 5.1 High resolution FLAC/ DVDA ?

Well, you wont get much info over the phone, its possible the Profx guy had some customers in his shop at the time. I did go to Profx to audition the KEFs Q300 before I bought them elsewhere. The fellow at Profx was pretty obliging when I wanted to audition diff types of music on the KEFs.
Can't vouch for the Paradigm Monitor 11s or 7s - have not heard them, though the sound signature should be along the lines of the 9s! I actually went to audition the wharfdale floorstanders after gleaning info from the forum, liked the paradigm cinema ct series, liked the sound of the Tannoy FS at HT store but the paradigm monitor 9s blew me away! So "audition" is the name of the game.
I hea that there is such a thing as "Blind audition" where you listen to speakers that have not been identified prior to audition , make notes , then get the dealer to list the speakers you listened to and you have in the meantime decided which was the best - removes bias I am told !
You are obviously welcome to audition the 9s at my place - lots of bias here though!!:D

! So "audition" is the name of the game.

100% true, i am planned to audition more and more..

i have listed out some speaker, some auditioned, Onkyo, (sorry model forgot) made in Germany 80K/pair and one which was 40K/pair.
Connected via TX SR 309 (Rs. 28K) as front and some small speakers were connected making it full 5.1.
first they played some music, which was unknown to me, The sound feels somewhat ok. Then i asked them to play Hotel California.. that it :lol: ??? ?? ??? ?? ???? ?? ???? ?? ???.
both "the made in the Germaniyes" failed miserably.

im planing to audition Paradigm Monitor and Polk this weekend... will try to check Klipsch is possible.
ProFX... MG road branch or Phoenix market-city one ?

Don't forget to check out KEF's Q500s and Q700s at ProFX. And while you are there, give a shot to Energy's CF-50 & CF-70s at Onkyo store on 1st floor in the same bldg. The Energy's sound swell with the Onkyo AVRs (I am keeping my comments restricted to AVRs).

Ideally do the MG Road Profx(polk/energy), Klipsch in lavelle road and cinebels (Jamo) in Millers road on the same day.

You can compare klipsch/polk/jamo. In another day check out paradigms from lokesh and compare.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back