Rockstar Review

amitkeerti

I am not a fan of Rock. So when the music for Rockstar was released, I was not too keen about it. But then i heard many people approving the music. This got me interested. The first round of listening threw up only Shehar mein. Then another couple of rounds led me to appreciate songs like Kun Faya and more.
When Rockstar was released along with immortals and Tintin, my first instinct was Tintin then immortals. I missed the tickets for both and i ended up buying tickets for Rockstar. I went with a clean slate as I had no expectation (positive or negitive) from the movie.
The movie starts with a rebel Jordan (Ranbir) stirring up the public with his energy (read anger). Then starts the flashback. Ranbir is a small time singer who is thrown out of all auditions. He is confused as he believes he has the potential but no-one seems to care a damn. One mantra from his friend lets him into a world he is not familiar with. He meets Heer (Nargis Fakhari) who is a rebel in her own ways. What starts as an innocent checklist leads to interesting twists and turns in the lives of the protagonists.
As you keep watching the movie you keep getting drawn into the characters and can relate to the pain, happiness, sorrow and anger of the characters. The chemistry between Randir and Nargis is worth watching and pondering about. Ranbir throws in the charisma needed for the character. Nargis is very sweet and looks very pretty through the movie.
The post interval excitement of jab-we-met can be felt in Rockstar in Prague. In fact i could relate many emotions of jab-we-met here in Rockstar as well. What makes Rockstar tick is the bonding of the characters. I believe One thing that is really difficult is to pull-off is the reasons for a person's behavior and the justification given in the movie is relatable. My only let down moment was when Joran meets heer in Prague for the first time, the emotion was completely missing. I kept wondering, if I were a girl and I meet someone who i really adored would this be my first reaction ! definitely not! Other wise i have nothing to crib.
Kun Faya Khun was amazing. Watching it on big screen and the appearance of the true rockstar on wheel chair was very touching. Music is melodious and you get drawn into it. I did not find "shehar main" being sung completely in the movie. Sada Haq is not my type of song but the song bursts out with so much of energy that I had goose bumps.
When I came out of the hall I had 2 sets of emotions. One i could connect to the characters and two felt sad for the true rockstar of all times. I loved the film. Sunday afternoon well spent.

Last edited:
For me Rehman songs are the kind that grows on to you slowly n slowly ......., with Rockstar, though sadda haq struck a chord stright away, the song that grew on me as I said has been "Jo bhi mein" .... amazing .... specially the lyrics, first time a slow rock with meaningful ,lyrics ....

then comes the spine chilling sufi number ..... "Kun Fayakun", if Jodha Akhbar's "Khwaja Mere Khwaja" simulates you, kun fayakun is even a step further ....

the third number is the chocklaty "Katiya Karoon" .... sweet cute punjabi number ....

forth one is Sadda Haq, and the rest are just ok ...... "Shehar mein" is a below avg song, not at all rehman style. Over all worth purchasing album, specially for Rehman's Fans .....

Last edited:
The movies is a mixture of Jab we met, Murder 1 & real headache to watch.Where is the story?Music is nice.
I am sorry to say,A.R.Rehman has taken efforts on wrong movie(Story).

^^ errr I beg to differ, its not an Headache atleast ,.... but then Movie, Music are all so very subjective, so I guess this one was not for you ... :)

And yea I agree with thomas,..."Phir se uud chala" is addictive as well, I missed that song somehow in my first post ...

First half is nice. Second half should have had a tighter screenplay or editing.

The movie avoids many cliches and traps. No drugs and no overtly rebellious characters. It even steers clear of loud background scores to express anger, pain and surprise. The efforts are evident when I saw hypnotizing lit frames and soothing scores.

As an individual I could connect with the movie. As audience it failed post interval.

An OST worth every rupee and a movie worth having on BR. Can't say much of other Bolly movies these days.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

On the music....

I listened to the mp3 tracks in car..
Didn't find the Rehman niche in songs, baring Faya Kumn... love Sadda Haque though....

Do you think SEL would have done a better justice than Rehman for this genere?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

^^ errr I beg to differ, its not an Headache atleast ,.... but then Movie, Music are all so very subjective, so I guess this one was not for you ... :)

May be I expected a different story.I thought it will be a serious story which forms a Rockstar.Its in different way though.:)

^^ Well in that sense yes even I was hoping more of rockstar story with backdrop of a love story .... but it was the other way round, a love story with a rockstar rising as the backdrop ... :D

Last edited:
On the music....

I listened to the mp3 tracks in car..
Didn't find the Rehman niche in songs, baring Faya Kumn... love Sadda Haque though....

Do you think SEL would have done a better justice than Rehman for this genere?

Mate i think any day...................still can listen to Rock on songs and enjoy them.................cant say even 10% on the songs for this movie....

OK guys..... just back from watching the movie. Now I'm convinced.... and this may stir up many fans..... but Rehman is beaten up by SEL in this genre....

Initially, after reading the movie review here and catching the story line from the post of op, I thought this was majorly a love story.... but it's not so..... in fact the story line provided more space as compared to Rock On for specific songs for portraying a Rockstar's emotional journey.

It could have been the director's call to keep the music-scape of the movie the way turned out to be. Anyone who listens to the OST without watching the film, can't tell that these are the songs befitting a rock star. A movie like this should be having an over powering music - scape which envelops and binds the story like in Rock On.

I think Rehman has been badly wasted in this movie. The songs portrait neither his niche (barring Faaya Kumn) nor are tailor made to suite the title unlike the Rock On OST where even a slow track like Yeh Tumhari Meri Baatein is also treated with a specific music arrangements suitable to a Rock band.

The movie though works well in totality. The emotions are genuine, sharp and yet not over the top. Ranbir does carry the character rather well (beyond expectation and he's the brightest spot of the movie), the new girl works well in the story line and the songs Faaya Kumn and Sadda Haque are brillient.

The movie was a good experience. Watching it at a Dolby 7.1 theater added more realism to the overall experience of the music oriented movie. Rahman and Mohit Chauhan have done a great job !

No one has mentioned Hawwa Hawwa. Its a gem.! Just forget that Rehman has produced the music. The sing has a very unique style and a stand out number for me in the whole album. It's just too far away from cliche.

Yes, I know I complained about the sound track earlier, but that was basically my expectations from a Rehmani sound track superseeding an OST of a movie.

If one forgets thay the movie is called ROCKSTAR and the music is by Rehman, there are good numbers there like Fayya Kumn, Naadan Parindey, Tum Ho, Sadda Haque.....

Just because the movie is called Rockstar it doesn't mean you need all rock songs. You don't see Jordan forming a rock band nor any jam sessions. Rock On was a gang chasing their dream for rock band. Rockstar is not that. Jordan's woollens in first half has ROCKSTAR written on it. He idolizes JM for his attitude not choice of music. I think the movie title belies what it offers. In school we friends used to call our dad 'Bond' or some teachers 'Hitler'. Just a nickname. Jordan's rockstar is exactly that.

As for the OST it is a must hear, a must buy. Each piece tells a story and carries the movie forward.

Why compare SEL and ARR? They have given us some great music to enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back