Rogers in India finally!!!!

panditji

It seems the famous Rogers speakers have finally found a distributor in India.. Saw the link on Facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1138346912953136/posts/5029634407157681/

I remember hearing the famous LS3/5 bookshelf a decade back in Singapore when I bought my Harbeths from an audiophile who replaced his Harbeths with the Rogers and was blown away by the sheer musicality AFTER listening to the Harbeths.... I hope the pricing is not exhorbitant like the other BBC speakers in India.. Looking forward to hearing them again hopefully with better components as they have new owners...

It seems the famous Rogers speakers have finally found a distributor in India.. Saw the link on Facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1138346912953136/posts/5029634407157681/

I remember hearing the famous LS3/5 bookshelf a decade back in Singapore when I bought my Harbeths from an audiophile who replaced his Harbeths with the Rogers and was blown away by the sheer musicality AFTER listening to the Harbeths.... I hope the pricing is not exhorbitant like the other BBC speakers in India.. Looking forward to hearing them again hopefully with better components as they have new owners...
I believe the distributor is a HFV member.

Its 2900 GBP in the UK where it is manufactured...

The Indian MRP I have been told by the distributor is about 3.9 lakhs ... Make your own calculations from where to buy once you decide to buy it...

A bit on the expensive side at 43% markup to UK retail (there are worse distributors/dealers with 100% markup). I haven't heard rogers version of the ls3/5, but have heard the graham and harbeth, and currently have the spendors. IMO Spendor is best value for these type of speakers.
Cheers,
Sid

LOL! That's very un-exorbitant! :rolleyes:
A bit on the expensive side at 43% markup to UK retail (there are worse distributors/dealers with 100% markup). I haven't heard rogers version of the ls3/5, but have heard the graham and harbeth, and currently have the spendors. IMO Spendor is best value for these type of speakers.
Cheers,
Sid
Considering 40% customs, I guess it's fair price..

Plus cesses and 18% GST

Comes to around 40%
There is a Social Welfare Surcharge component - is this what you are calling cess?

The IGST can be claimed back via input credit.

So, while the number on paper might look to be close to 40% - in reality, effectively, it is not. There are other charges (freight that @IndianEars mentioned being one) which most wouldn't know of, and which jack up the landed costs so let's not be fixated with just duty percentages.

There is a Social Welfare Surcharge component - is this what you are calling cess?

The IGST can be claimed back via input credit.

So, while the number on paper might look to be close to 40% - in reality, effectively, it is not. There are other charges (freight that @IndianEars mentioned being one) which most wouldn't know of, and which jack up the landed costs so let's not be fixated with just duty percentages.
At the end of the day, you still have to pay GST on the final agreed price of sale. Yes the earlier gst can be adjusted but you still have to pay 18k GST on the sale price.

As for other cesses, there is CVD, SAD and health/education cess. Not sure what the CVD/SAD are for speakers.

Freight, insurance, demurrage, loading/unloading costs, stock holding costs, dealer margins etc etc.
All these add up and so it's not only the customs duty which is only ONE component of many to be accounted for.

It is not that simple, you have to do reverse calculation. I believe manufacturers usually give 30-50% discount to the distributors on the retail price.
So, for a £3000 speaker, the price for the distributor (with 40% discount) should be around £1800 (1800+40%=2500+20%vat=3000). So the customs plus gst would be on basic price+freight+insurance, in this case on around £2100. Also, there is other expenses in Indian ports, like inordinate delays, bribes, etc. And, usually MRP is not the selling price, there are discounts given on mrp. But, I do believe most international audio products are overpriced in India due to various reasons.
But there are no set rules, some manufacturers give additional discounts to international distributors, and some don't. I believe, some Japanese products like Accuphase are exorbitantly priced everywhere outside Japan, maybe they don't support or care for international customers.

Above calculations are just an educated guess on my part, anyone with more knowledge is welcome to make corrections.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back