ROON and RAAT

sound_cycle

Hi

gKsEMYjNuqDRlTGG2

Decided to trial Roon while I am trial-ing Tidal.

Am completely blown.

I am not entirely sure if I am not imagining or hearing things but the Roon + Tidal combination sounds better than a) Tidal desktop app or b) the EAC .flac I created from my CD played through F2K.

Is this even possible ! But it does.

No time to think 2 week trial and listening time bahut kam hai.

ciao
gr

Hi Sound cycle

I've never tried Roon, but there might be a difference to Tidal depending on how you are using Roon. Are you using Elac discovery or using the Roon desktop app.

Roon is very good. Expensive but absolutely fantastic.
I've been on Roon for about 4 months now and it has been flawless more or less.

The best part is the flawless networking backend. I now connect two AppleTVs for casual listening in other rooms and it does it without any issues.
Earlier this needed some third party software to make it work on my other software players.

There are still some issues with library management which has meant that I still use JRiver a lot for media management. There are also some niggles in the kind of file formats that it can handle i.e. doesn't open up ISO archives or single flac albums with CUE files. You need to use a third party software to extract each album track.

But getting back to the sound - it is very good. Their filters are top notch and seemingly getting better with time.

Regards

I've never tried Roon, but there might be a difference to Tidal depending on how you are using Roon. Are you using Elac discovery or using the Roon desktop app.

With all the fervor of a very recent convert, I suggest a trial. I've installed it a little before lunch today and am on a listening binge, hearing favorites from my library (or easily finding their Tidal equivalent). I rather like what I hear. Very much. And sadly I don't think I will be satisfied with applemusic VBR. And I was until recently :eek:

Improved SQ is not what Roon advertises as their USP - it is their metadata and all their ICT features. But currently the SQ is what enamors me muchly. I listen in one room on one device so the server and endpoints is not of any meaning to me. It found and is singing through Dirac so I don't need the EQ.

Oh and all this is on the desktop app running in 64bit on Win10.

ciao
gr

Roon is very good. Expensive but absolutely fantastic<snip>But getting back to the sound - it is very good. Their filters are top notch and seemingly getting better with time

My experience with Roon is hours to your months, but at the moment I am in serious like and don't want the trial to end.

The SQ and Tidal integration is a big attraction to me.

I've made several changes, over the past few weeks. The addition of the pre-power and source material (Tidal). I've negotiated and spread out a little wider in our li(v)stening room. And Roon.

Too many things. But fortunately for me they work well together. Roon was the last in the sequence. And the + it made to the SQ is impressive.

ciao
gr

Roon's interface is it's biggest selling point.
But like you, for me also it was the sound quality that surprised me and led me to become a subscriber.

Take it for a spin - let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Hi , I have been using roon for almost a year and it takes the cake!Prior to roon i had jriver but in hindsight i feel roon easily supersedes it. I believe the roon +HQ player combo is also awesome. i tried it but my comp didn't have enough RAM to play it flawlessly . hence i stuck to roon. The roon guys are also coming out with roon nucleus which is an exclusive music server for roon. This eliminates the use of a laptop or a PC and makes the setup a completely headless one. Waiting for review on the same.
Cheers!
Anand

STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge, MSB Platinum iv DAC, MSB DATA TRANSPORT iv CD transport, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable, Transparent audio Reference Power cables Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers, Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Stillpoints Ultra mini isolators, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Transparent Audio Power isolators MM2.

HT1: Optoma HD 82 projector, I box media player, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver, B & W center & DALI surrounds, REL T5 subwoofer.

HT2: Panasonic 42' Plasma, Monitor audio Radius R250 center and front speakers, Radius R90 surrounds and radius R360 subwoofer. Dune & Zappiti media player and pioneer BDP 140 blu ray player.

The roon guys are also coming out with roon nucleus which is an exclusive music server for roon. This eliminates the use of a laptop or a PC and makes the setup a completely headless one. Waiting for review on the same.
For those who care not for their local dealer, dont need the fancy case or the linear power supply and wish to build their own NUC-based Roon server for quite a bit less cash, Roon will release their custom OS free of charge and detail the hardware purchases required do so.

Interesting!! That's from Dark, writing in May this year.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/05/roon-announce-nucleus-server/

What would I do ? DAC is optical only and I need to run Dirac.lets see

Ciao
Gr

Has anyone used the DSP options of the Roon for equalisation ?

Roon certainly sounds very rich by itself.

I use the DSP Parametric Equalizer to take the hash out of low res internet radio feeds. It's something I came up with by trial and error.

However, majority of the time I use "lossless" as it sounds great.

I've also been using Sample Rate Conversion to up sample to DSD128.
Roon's CLANS (Closed Loop Analysis of Noise Shapers) filter are state of the art and sound just as good as any from HQPlayer.

Regards

Can anyone tell me the working model of Roon, as compared to Tidal and jriver. For me like Tidal is web based app with cloud-based songs catalog, much like spotify, Jriver is a standalone music app. LMS has a server-client model. Where does, Roon, fall, and how can I get the trial for the same. In this plethora of music apps and services I have tried almost everything except Roon and for some reason I shy away from it. NOw I would really like to give a try.

for some reason I shy away from it. NOw I would really like to give a try.

That sounds like where I was a short while ago. There's a lot of stuff on the 'net but what tipped me over the edge was the descriptions and explanations on the Hans Beekhuyzen channel on yt. Do take a look there. Unable to post a link because yt is not accessible on the 'net connection I am using right now.

ciao
gr

Where does, Roon, fall, and how can I get the trial for the same. In this plethora of music apps and services I have tried almost everything except Roon and for some reason I shy away from it.

Well the trial is free so no harm done.

I have not used Roon. After reading the description on their website, Roon is an interface to plug your music into. It does not have music on its own like Spotify, etc. You feed in your music via hard drive or other digital means, Roon will catalog your music, add information, album art, etc. From the perspective of sound, they claim to improve it on the fly. Don't know how they do this but it has been proven that whatever they do works.

Roon will work off your computer. Preferably a Windows or Mac. It is software you run & install, just like any other software. You will have to take a usb feed from your computer to your DAC. Yes; you can take a direct headphone out from your PC but that is defeating the purpose of what Roon is supposed to achieve.

Last edited:
^^ They need a CC even for a trial, this is too risky, as its not a small amount. Almost 8000 a year, just for cataloging your own music. How is it different from BLISS, apart from maybe it tries to improve the audio on the fly, which doesn't sound too promising if you know what I mean.

^^ They need a CC even for a trial, this is too risky, as its not a small amount. Almost 8000 a year, just for cataloging your own music. How is it different from BLISS, apart from maybe it tries to improve the audio on the fly, which doesn't sound too promising if you know what I mean.

Not scary.

you can cancel your membership in two weeks.

I stayed away thinking it is metadata and pretty screens. I am sold now for the SQ. There is ofc lots more to it

I suggest giving it a trial spin. I've just done that and I'm lovin' it

ciao
gr

Can anyone tell me the working model of Roon, as compared to Tidal and jriver.

Roon consists of three components all of which will run off a single machine.
For best results though Roon recommends the modules to be installed separately.

See Roon Architecture for full description.
Roon uses a slightly different description which I will try to explains as follows:

Roon Core - This is as the name suggests the core of the Roon platform consisting of the heart of the Roon software. You can have only one core per licence.

This handles the database management and software that interfaces your media collection with Roon's online metadata database. This is responsible for the rich data experience synonymous with Roon. On your local machine this installs in the Roon Server folder and functions as the server software handling all requests from different Controls you have installed. It also handles playback to different Zones which is one of the unique features of Roon. Users can handle their own playback to different zones.

Roon Remote - This is what Roon calls their Control software that is installed on your control PC, tablet or phone. This is the client/GUI that controls Roon. The big thing about this module is the no lag operation on diverse platforms and hardware.

Roon RAAT - called Output by Roon these are essentially software transports that handle playback to your different devices. By separating these modules, Roon achieves an efficient way to handle the different hardware options available.

Roon recommends installing the Core and Server on separate machines but one can install both on a simple NUC or generic assembled machine without any issue provided your hardware can handle the load. Media can sit on a network drive(s) or NAS and will get mapped by Roon Server.

One of the benefits of the Roon Architecture is that one doesn't need to have the silent low noise computer that has been the norm for computer audio in recent times. One can install the Core in a separate room on a powerful machine and not worry about it again. Just place a small form factor device (NUC, Allo or Raspberry Pi) on your audio rack and it will serve up bit perfect signals over wifi or ethernet. Put another way Roon allows you to leverage networked (older) hardware for outstanding playback quality.

As has been said earlier the sound quality of Roon is another discussion.

@Sam

They also the option of installing it on the Synology supported NAS boxes as well. It seems that it can be installed on a HDD within the NAS and they recommend a SSD but also provide the option to install on an external HDD preferably over USB 3.0 and run it from there, so no PC is required. Give it a spin and do let me know as you have the nice synology compared to my bare DS214se :)

They also the option of installing it on the Synology supported NAS boxes as well. It seems that it can be installed on a HDD within the NAS and they recommend a SSD but also provide the option to install on an external HDD preferably over USB 3.0 and run it from there, so no PC is required.

This will "work" but will have issues with speed with a large music collection.
Typically Synology NAS are good servers but not great for running applications.

But it is an option - install Roon Server on an additional SSD for better results.

Alternatively, install Roon Core + Server on a beefier machine you have on your network.
It will pull the data from your NAS without any issues.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back