RPI 4B streamer + Topping E30 or Allo Boss 2 player

Speaking of Raspberry Pis, the 8GB variants are out of stock everywhere.
@SanVJ - If you find it somewhere, please let me know also.

One problem with these allo devices are the quality of usb ports. They suck big time. Just few weeks back I repaired my allo revolution dac. It is still under warranty, but the pain of sending it to bangalore and waiting for it, I did it myself. The same issue is there with the USB port on the allo usb signature. Allo boss2 is fine because the USB ports are actuall from RPI4.

Basically there are two issues with allo products

1. Wherever the board requires manual soldering, the jobs is often botched up.
2. The quality of usb ports metal casing is bad. USB male plug that goes in will not fit tight and will often have lose contacts. So I removed the factory fitted usb ports and

One problem with these allo devices are the quality of usb ports. They suck big time. Just few weeks back I repaired my allo revolution dac. It is still under warranty, but the pain of sending it to bangalore and waiting for it, I did it myself. The same issue is there with the USB port on the allo usb signature. Allo boss2 is fine because the USB ports are actuall from RPI4.

Basically there are two issues with allo products

1. Wherever the board requires manual soldering, the jobs is often botched up.
2. The quality of usb ports metal casing is bad. USB male plug that goes in will not fit tight and will often have lose contacts. So I removed the factory fitted usb ports and fitted my own.
Yes the connectors are loose also i have a strange issue one channel has less high frequency with usb signature

Yes the connectors are loose also i have a strange issue one channel has less high frequency with usb signature
login to the shell and run alsamixer. See if there is a imbalance in the left and right channel. I will post a screenshot after I switch on my allo device.

EDIT: Screenshot posted
This is how the alsamixer screen looks like. Look at the left channel (79) is lesser than the right channel (98). This can be fixed by using the up/down arrow key
1648577849694.png

Last edited:
login to the shell and run alsamixer. See if there is a imbalance in the left and right channel. I will post a screenshot after I switch on my allo device.

EDIT: Screenshot posted
This is how the alsamixer screen looks like. Look at the left channel (79) is lesser than the right channel (98). This can be fixed by using the up/down arrow key
View attachment 68343
I just get one PCM option only with my USB DAC, also is the USB is 1.1 or 2 where dac is connected?

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

1 [Multibit ]: USB-Audio - Modi Multibit
Schiit Audio Modi Multibit at usb-3f980000.usb-1.2, high speed

I just get one PCM option only with my USB DAC, also is the USB is 1.1 or 2 where dac is connected?
That is fine. It doesn't matter which usb port it is connnected

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

1 [Multibit ]: USB-Audio - Modi Multibit
Schiit Audio Modi Multibit at usb-3f980000.usb-1.2, high speed
So your dac name is hw:Multibiit

Run alsamixer and see if it shows you mixer control

Having uses RPI and its different OS's vastly. Would suggest you go for a RPI and a external DAC, you get a flexibility of upgrading DACs.

Also, 8gb is not needed for these small HiFi OS's. I am using the 4GB one and it runs smooth without any hick ups. I even play DSDs on it.

Currently using SMSL SU9 dac with RPI.

20220305_195314_copy_1070x602.jpg

That is fine. It doesn't matter which usb port it is connnected

So your dac name is hw:Multibiit

Run alsamixer and see if it shows you mixer control
Card Multibit
chip Usb mixer

if connected to USB 2 port doesn't it recognize it has usb2.0 device? also the usbridge sig clean port is usb2.0?

Card Multibit
chip Usb mixer

if connected to USB 2 port doesn't it recognize it has usb2.0 device? also the usbridge sig clean port is usb2.0?
I think your confusion is with this line below, which actually means usb second port on the first usb hub.
All ports on usb signature are usb 2.0 (remember that this is a RPI3 compute module and hence has no usb 3.0).

1 [Multibit ]: USB-Audio - Modi Multibit Schiit Audio Modi Multibit at usb-3f980000.usb-1.2, high speed

"High speed” USB devices run at 480 Mbit per second and it means usb 2.0

I think your confusion is with this line below, which actually means usb second port on the first usb hub.
All ports on usb signature are usb 2.0 (remember that this is a RPI3 compute module and hence has no usb 3.0).

"High speed” USB devices run at 480 Mbit per second and it means usb 2.0
Ok thanks

Having uses RPI and its different OS's vastly. Would suggest you go for a RPI and a external DAC, you get a flexibility of upgrading DACs.

Also, 8gb is not needed for these small HiFi OS's. I am using the 4GB one and it runs smooth without any hick ups. I even play DSDs on it.

View attachment 68347
Wont swap is needed? I set 4gb of swap

View attachment 68347
Thanks Amrut. I decided to go with the RPI + topping E30. But I couldn't find the RPI 4GB variant anywhere.
Even with the allo Boss 2 the RPI 4gb variant was unavailable.

Wont swap is needed? I set 4gb of swap

Ideally 2gb is fine, but for future proof bought 4gb.

Thanks Amrut. I decided to go with the RPI + topping E30. But I couldn't find the RPI 4GB variant anywhere.

Nice, RPis have a shortage now too 😔
I saw one 4gb variant selling for 8k

I'm using RPI 4 2GB + topping E30. Works flawlessly, I don't think Moode or Volumio require more RAM. I've added a digione, but I can't speak to whether the Boss2 would have been a better path to take, it does seem a bit more economical

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back