RPI 4B streamer + Topping E30 or Allo Boss 2 player

I'm using RPI 4 2GB + topping E30. Works flawlessly, I don't think Moode or Volumio require more RAM. I've added a digione, but I can't speak to whether the Boss2 would have been a better path to take, it does seem a bit more economical
Thanks bro. There is only a minimal price difference between 2GB and 4GB variants, So I chose 4GB.

Do you use a separate power supply for topping E30 or the RPI's USB port?

Thanks bro. There is only a minimal price difference between 2GB and 4GB variants, So I chose 4GB.

Initially used an MI power bank to power them separately. Now i use an Allo Shanti i purchased from an FM. Btw, because i use the Allo digione HAT, the RPI connects to the E30 via a coax Spdif cable.

Initially used an MI power bank to power them separately. Now i use an Allo Shanti i purchased from an FM. Btw, because i use the Allo digione HAT, the RPI connects to the E30 via a coax Spdif cable.
I'm little confused here. What's the need for a hat in this setup? Is RPI usb audio quality not good?

I heard RPI 4 USB audio quality is improved over the RPI 3.

I'm little confused here. What's the need for a hat in this setup? Is RPI usb audio quality not good?

RPI 3 has extremely noisy USB due to a shared bus. RPi4 I believe is much better. Using just the usb on RPI4 is good, however, using a HAT will improve the quality further. You could read about the the boards on the Allo page.

MaSh

RPI 3 has extremely noisy USB due to a shared bus. RPi4 I believe is much better. Using just the usb on RPI4 is good, however, using a HAT will improve the quality further. You could read about the the boards on the Allo page.

MaSh
Got it...

Initially used an MI power bank to power them separately. Now i use an Allo Shanti i purchased from an FM. Btw, because i use the Allo digione HAT, the RPI connects to the E30 via a coax Spdif cable

I got curious and hence went for the SPDIF HAT. It's not an absolute must, although i felt a subtle improvement. Going straight to allo boss 2 saves the need for either the digione HAT or the external DAC.

I think your confusion is with this line below, which actually means usb second port on the first usb hub.
All ports on usb signature are usb 2.0 (remember that this is a RPI3 compute module and hence has no usb 3.0).

"High speed” USB devices run at 480 Mbit per second and it means usb 2.0
Is there a hat available for I2S output from USBridge?

I suggest you read the article on asr, bare in mind it's a bit cheaper here if you buy from diyaudiocart or other local suppliers.
I read the ASR review of Allo Boss 2. But right now I can't find the Boss 2 with RPI 4GB variant anywhere.

Have you checked with Fabtolab? The site showing options to get 4GB variant.

It's not available. When you select 4gb and click add ti cart it'll say"The Selected option Memory : 11) 4 GB is out-of-stock."

Is it possible to order Allo Boss 2 with metal case and without RPI?

It's available in fab.to.lab but only with Acrylic case.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back