RPi + HAT or....

Let me try that.. Any utils to convert file system keep the data ?
There is no way to convert. You will need another spare disk to copy. But on any linux system, avoid ntfs. The driver written on linux was actually reverse engineered and has extremely poor performance because it runs in user space. There is a newer driver written by paragon, but I think it is still not there in mainline.

Also an official driver for exfat might make it into the linux kernel. But the current driver also works fine and is quite fast.

My current sources are a CDP, tape deck and a iFi Nano DSD USB DAC all feeding a tube preamp Elekit TU8500. Amp is a pair of ACA in bridged mono OR Elekit TU 8200.

Music is on a Synology NAS..also residing on the HDD of laptop. Also using YT Music.

Earlier I had been using a Mac Mini feeding the DAC. The TV was the screen. That was cumbersome. So many things to switch on and a wireless KB and mouse to store extra.

Then started using a Surface Pro tab instead and now a laptop instead of Mac Mini.

The issue is, there is no remote control for the music i.e, selections, play, pause, volume etc.etc. So a long USB cable connection to the DAC from the PC is a must from the sofa I sit on. Cannot leave that cable there after the sessions - trip hazard.

Sorry for the long rant but had to state the problem and background.

If I made a RPi + HAT DAC or use a RPi with existing DAC can it be controlled with a phone? Or is there any other solution that can be used with mobile phone or a tab? Prefer a DIY. I am not in for a BT receiver at the preamp.

I use Android (Pixel, Nokia 8.3) on Droid 12.
You can simply get an rpi4 and connect the dac to it onto the USB port. Run moode audio on the pi and you can stream music to the dac. Please make sure if moode supports your NAS.

Highly recommend Jriver with Gizmo app for remote control.
Excellent sound and very stable performance with Gizmo remote app
Trial version available for a month.

I have already tried the following before settling on J river
Foobar, (good sound but remote app sucks)
Rpi with volumio,( I was using RPI's USB out to DAC, sound was not great, Also Volumio app was not stable)
Squeee box with SOTM (worst interface ever. sold the SOTM)

Unless you want to free up the laptop, dont bother with a Rpi .Just my opinion.
Jriver is the best sounding I've heard so far.

Lots of interesting suggestions here, hope my experience with Pi+ DAC helps :

I have been using the RPI with a Dac (Schiit Modi), with my source files either on a network drive or on USB, for the last 5 years and have tried/used the following

1. Clean MPD , controlled by MP Droid ( on Android) and Cantata (On Laptop)

2. MPD based distributions - ie Volumio etc

3. Jriver running on Raspbian, controlled by J Remote on Android

These were the pros/cons

1. MPD - very light and efficient software, easy to tweak and fine tune once you understand it. I had issues with library management and cue file support

2.Volumio etc - good plug and play implementation of MPD, but i faced the same issues as above

3. JRiver - mature software with an active community. Great SQ, easily the best library management. Also handles video
Lately the remote operations had gotten very slow. Not sure if that's a problem with Jriver or with the rest of my set up
From 2021, the Raspbian has included Pulsaudio as default. I am not happy with the sound since this change ; i found that things were better with ALSA.

Given the issues with ALSA, i thought i would (re) try an MPD based distribution which runs on clean ALSA. Tried Moode and I'm pleasantly surprised - the library management and Cue file issues seem to be resolved. The setup and controls are user friendly. However, I'm not impressed with the browser interface, an app would be better

has extremely poor performance because it runs in user space.
ExFAT also runs in user space so running in user space is not the (primary) reason for it's poor performance. There are many reasons but the primary reason is that it's poorly written.

My current sources are a CDP, tape deck and a iFi Nano DSD USB DAC all feeding a tube preamp Elekit TU8500. Amp is a pair of ACA in bridged mono OR Elekit TU 8200.

Music is on a Synology NAS..also residing on the HDD of laptop. Also using YT Music.

Earlier I had been using a Mac Mini feeding the DAC. The TV was the screen. That was cumbersome. So many things to switch on and a wireless KB and mouse to store extra.

Then started using a Surface Pro tab instead and now a laptop instead of Mac Mini.

The issue is, there is no remote control for the music i.e, selections, play, pause, volume etc.etc. So a long USB cable connection to the DAC from the PC is a must from the sofa I sit on. Cannot leave that cable there after the sessions - trip hazard.

Sorry for the long rant but had to state the problem and background.

If I made a RPi + HAT DAC or use a RPi with existing DAC can it be controlled with a phone? Or is there any other solution that can be used with mobile phone or a tab? Prefer a DIY. I am not in for a BT receiver at the preamp.

I use Android (Pixel, Nokia 8.3) on Droid 12.
If it is all about a remote inteface, I think Jriver has a mobile app to control the player.

And for an all freeware solution on Windoze, try the MusicBee jukebox with MusicBee remote for Android.
I used to see that on my son's gaming pc around 7 years back. I was impressed. It has good album, media management features. Another good one is mediamonkey. I used it in 2010 when for a brief period my HTPC was running windows 7 for integrating Tata Sky. I found it better than itunes and it couild play all formats. musicbee is rated above mediamonkey but one of the pros of mediamonkey is that it plays all formats.
It too has a remote called mmremote.

Let me chime in. Both suggestions involve going back to the mac mini, connected to your dac. You could
1. Install Logitech media server and a squeeze client on the mac. You get excellent audio fidelity, a browser based UI or a phone app to control your music. Check out the material skin for LMS.
2. Use vnc like mbhangui suggested.
LMS did not even open..Mac is blocking it ..Unable to verify blah, blah, blah....
My Mac is on Catalina

Highly recommend Jriver with Gizmo app for remote control.
Excellent sound and very stable performance with Gizmo remote app
Trial version available for a month.

I have already tried the following before settling on J river
Foobar, (good sound but remote app sucks)
Rpi with volumio,( I was using RPI's USB out to DAC, sound was not great, Also Volumio app was not stable)
Squeee box with SOTM (worst interface ever. sold the SOTM)

Unless you want to free up the laptop, dont bother with a Rpi .Just my opinion.
You are still using the USB out?. Does operating system effect sound. You are indicating J River has much better sound than volumio.

Jriver is the best sounding I've heard so far.
Jriver is the economical one compared to Audrvana and Roon( I have tried both).
One time payment of $59 or so. no subscription fees thereafter. same stability, good interface and sound quality on par with the above.
In my opinion, Volumio on Rpi is not a comparison at all to any of the above on PC.

You are still using the USB out?. Does operating system effect sound. You are indicating J River has much better sound than volumio.
I use J river on a PC and it is much better than Volumio on Rpi with direct USB out.
About sound , yes there is difference but not a big difference may be.It sounded a little thin in my setup., But interface and stability, remote app etc, Volumio is not even close

Last edited:
My understanding is Volumio needs paid subscription to get its full set of features including Spotify, tidal etc...
Correct me if I am wrong.

I use J river on a PC and it is much better than Volumio on Rpi with direct USB out.
About sound , yes there is difference but not a big difference may be.It sounded a little thin in my setup., But interface and stability, remote app etc, Volumio is not even close
Thanks . Will read up. I have picore in RPI with bubble upnp as remote. Never faced any problem. Works like a breeze. If there is a difference in SQ would love to try Jriver.

A good HAT based transport on RPI or any such i2s based devices with good power supply will be a better solution than a PC-based transport.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back