RPi + HAT or....

@Subbu68 I think you installed squeezeplay which is the older player. I installed squeezelite from here

I had to manually copy squeezelite from the dmg to Applications folder.

See this discussion squeezeslave, squeezeplay, squeezelite.

Now my macmini appears as another player in the LMS list and I can switch the output using the speaker icon in the top status bar. in my setup, LMS is installed on my RPI4.
1654866515400.png

@Subbu68 I think you installed squeezeplay which is the older player. I installed squeezelite from here

I had to manually copy squeezelite from the dmg to Applications folder.

See this discussion squeezeslave, squeezeplay, squeezelite.

Now my macmini appears as another player in the LMS list and I can switch the output using the speaker icon in the top status bar. in my setup, LMS is installed on my RPI4.
View attachment 69915
Would try out but some new issue now. Now my library is empty on LMS 😔..

Should have continued using Mac. Forgot most things out using it.

Would try out but some new issue now. Now my library is empty on LMS 😔..

Should have continued using Mac. Forgot most things out using it.
Check the path of your music folder configured under LMS. That's the only reason why your library would be empty.
Connect to your mac mini ip address on port 9000.
Then Settings --> server settings ---> Basic Settings dropdown --> under media configure Folder.

Screenshot below (in my case /MDrive/Music is my hard disk). In your case it will be where your NAS is mounted on mac mini
After you have entered the path, click the rescan button

1654867925857.png

@Subbu68 Thanks to you I tried squeezelite on my mac mini. I can say this that the sound is spectacular, much better than my RPI --> allo nirvana dac.

In this process I discovered a better way to run the squeezelite player automatically when the mac mini boots up. I will guide you though it once you have managed to fix your current issue with LMS.

Where have you installed the LMS? Have you instaleld that too on your mac mini?

@mbhangui

Thank you for the time taken to explain. LMS is on my Mac Mini. I did all that Scan, Rescan etc. through the Settings > LMS window from the Mac. Then again as you pointed out but had to access through the Advanced Settings of LSM window. It was not seen from the web interface directly. All returns the same - Empty Music. Checking and checking. Woudl post the progress and the trouble shooting results

@mbhangui

Thank you for the time taken to explain. LMS is on my Mac Mini. I did all that Scan, Rescan etc. through the Settings > LMS window from the Mac. Then again as you pointed out but had to access through the Advanced Settings of LSM window. It was not seen from the web interface directly. All returns the same - Empty Music. Checking and checking. Woudl post the progress and the trouble shooting results
I had exactly the same problem first time i setup LMS. I think I had removed the entire LMS database and again started from scratch. Some directory in /var if i recall. I have shutdown my PI and the room is now occupied by my son with is PS5. I will check this tomorrow and let you know.

I had exactly the same problem first time i setup LMS. I think I had removed the entire LMS database and again started from scratch. Some directory in /var if i recall. I have shutdown my PI and the room is now occupied by my son with is PS5. I will check this tomorrow and let you know.
Squeezelite did not work for me.

SqueezePlayer is available for x86. That worked.

Now the core problem is the access to NAS. LMS though mapped the NAS it did not show up the files on it's database. When I copied a folder (ABBA) to Mac's HDD and mapped it to LMS, Voila!!

More brain wracking is in cards.

And on mobile I got an app Squeeze Controller that is able to control the player on Mac. So far so good.

YT Music is my another favourite but that does not get included in this player I think.

Squeezelite did not work for me.
The way to setup squeezlite on mac is bit different. It is an application that needs to run in the background. It is not like another applications that have a GUI. I will write about this later when you have fixed your LMS issue
SqueezePlayer is available for x86. That worked.
OK.

Now the core problem is the access to NAS. LMS though mapped the NAS it did not show up the files on it's database. When I copied a folder (ABBA) to Mac's HDD and mapped it to LMS, Voila!!
What you need to do is run the terminal application. Run the df command. It will show you your NAS disk mounted. Then do cd to the directory on which your NAS is mounted. Run the command ls -l. Does the output of ls -l command show you your folders?

More brain wracking is in cards.

And on mobile I got an app Squeeze Controller that is able to control the player on Mac. So far so good.

YT Music is my another favourite but that does not get included in this player I think.
LMS will show only your local files and files on the NAS. You can run install the YT music app on your mac mini to play YT music. But YT music cannot be controlled through your android. However apple music can be controlled using the itunes Remote app and the other app that Keith had mentioned - retunes app.

Subbu, you've probably figured this out but just in case.
LMS is the source. It organizes the music, organizes various music sources (local music, Spotify, YouTube etc), among other things and streams the audio to a client.
Squeezelite is the client. It basically decodes the audio stream and plays it on the selected audio device. LMS knows nothing about audio devices, and squeezelite knows nothing about the music source.
So if your library is missing, then LMS is the culprit. The logs will tell you what's wrong.
If music isn't playing from the speakers you want, then check squeezelite - it's probably using the wrong audio device.
You can also run squeezelite from the command line (not sure how in mac - I am a Linux person) if you want to test things out like a new audio device, or other settings.

@mbhangui , @surfatwork

I got how things to work with LMS and a client is needed.

It is LMS that's not mapping my NAS. It does not recognise my NAS at all..

Unfortunately Synology NAS has no app for LMS it seems. There are some other apps though.

For speaker selection i think Mac is the issue. Had to close the player and change to DAC before opening the player again. I have the same issue with iTunes..

On Windows laptop there is no such issue. I can change the audio out on the fly.

Subbu, you've probably figured this out but just in case.
LMS is the source. It organizes the music, organizes various music sources (local music, Spotify, YouTube etc), among other things and streams the audio to a client.
Squeezelite is the client. It basically decodes the audio stream and plays it on the selected audio device. LMS knows nothing about audio devices, and squeezelite knows nothing about the music source.
So if your library is missing, then LMS is the culprit. The logs will tell you what's wrong.
exactly
If music isn't playing from the speakers you want, then check squeezelite - it's probably using the wrong audio device.
You can also run squeezelite from the command line (not sure how in mac - I am a Linux person) if you want to test things out like a new audio device, or other settings.
I did squeezelite on mac yesterday and have put an entry /LibraryLaunchDaemons/squeezlite.plist to start it automicall on boot
Manvendras-Mac-mini:/Users/mbhangui>ps -ef|grep squeezelite
0 341 1 0 10:23AM ?? 0:00.41 /Users/mbhangui/bin/squeezelite -a 100 -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -N /var/log/squeezelite.name
501 728 706 0 10:26AM ttys000 0:00.00 grep squeezelite
Manvendras-Mac-mini:/Users/mbhangui>ls -l /var/log/squeezelite.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 158 Jun 11 10:23 /var/log/squeezelite.log
I downloaded squeezelite using this url https://sourceforge.net/projects/lm...intel/squeezelite-1.9.9.1392-osx-intel.tar.gz

I guess the problem Subbu is having is permissions of Full Disk access to mounted folders for perl executable used by LMS. LMS also has logs, but I'm not sure of the location on Mac. For linux it is in /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log

Subbu you can find the log location in server settings ---> logging

@mbhangui , @surfatwork

It is LMS that's not mapping my NAS. It does not recognise my NAS at all..
The LMS log file will tell you why. Most probably it is lack of permission to the mounted volumes and that can be corrected in the Mac OSX settings. Use + to add access to LMS application
Unfortunately Synology NAS has no app for LMS it seems. There are some other apps though.

For speaker selection i think Mac is the issue. Had to close the player and change to DAC before opening the player again. I have the same issue with iTunes..
For whatever test I did yesterday, just using the speaker icon to select the output works.
1654924286572.png

On Windows laptop there is no such issue. I can change the audio out on the fly.
Squeezelite will need to be restarted if you want it to play to a different audio device. However you can have multiple instance of squeezelite pointing to different audio devices and select any of them to direct the LMS audio stream to. On the fly. Each of them would be a "player" in LMS. You could even have multiple songs playing on LMS, each on a different player.
Atleast on Linux, you can have multiple squeezelite instances on the same computer. Guess you can on mac as well.

Just remembered that LMS also has a "local player" plug in. Basically like an inbuilt squeezelite client. I haven't tried it, but that could be worth a try.

You should be able to install it from the plug-ins page in LMS settings.

Squeezelite will need to be restarted if you want it to play to a different audio device. However you can have multiple instance of squeezelite pointing to different audio devices and select any of them to direct the LMS audio stream to. On the fly. Each of them would be a "player" in LMS. You could even have multiple songs playing on LMS, each on a different player.
Atleast on Linux, you can have multiple squeezelite instances on the same computer. Guess you can on mac as well.
That's on linux. On mac there is no need to restart squeezelite. On mac the default audio device is "Core Audio". Any music player just needs to connect to a pseudo device named Core Audio. After that it is the OSX's responsibility to switch to the actual device displayed when you click the speaker icon.

This is what I tested on my mac mini yesterday. However the flexibility to connect to a specific device is also there. If you run the command
squeezlite -l

It will desplay all devices with serial numbers. i.e. First device is 1, second device is 2, etc. The first device is always "Core Audio". If one wants to connect to the second device then
squeezelite -o 2
will connect to the second device. In this case, you will lose the ability to switch the device using the speaker icon in the OSX top status bar

Without passing the -o option, squeezlite connects to Core Audio, but then it allows squeezlite to play on all sound destination that mac has access to, including airplay devices, without installing the airplay bridge

EDIT:
Core Audio allows any application to access real-time audio. It's like the Linux Jack and ALSA rolled into one.

Last edited:
The LMS log file will tell you why. Most probably it is lack of permission to the mounted volumes and that can be corrected in the Mac OSX settings. Use + to add access to LMS application

For whatever test I did yesterday, just using the speaker icon to select the output works.
View attachment 69931
LMS does not appear in Applications folder. LMS is sitting in System Preferences.

I remember before I stopped using Mac in 2020, it used to show a pop up window to move new apps to Applications. I did not get this window when I installed LMS nor the SqueezePlayer!!

From this pane for allowing Full Disk Access, I could see only System Preferences not LMS.

Doing something wrong?

LMS does not appear in Applications folder. LMS is sitting in System Preferences.

I remember before I stopped using Mac in 2020, it used to show a pop up window to move new apps to Applications. I did not get this window when I installed LMS nor the SqueezePlayer!!

From this pane for allowing Full Disk Access, I could see only System Preferences not LMS.

Doing something wrong?
Most likely LMS is not a Mac OSX application. It is an executable like squeezelite. LMS executable is actuall a perl script. What is there in the lms logs? Regardless of any mac os settings, the log is the best shot in knowing where the problem lies.

Go to server settings --> logging and you will find the logfile path. Posting a screenshot here. As you can see my log file path is /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log. But my LMS is on linux and yours is on a mac. The path will be different.
Untitled.jpg

Most likely LMS is not a Mac OSX application. It is an executable like squeezelite. LMS executable is actuall a perl script. What is there in the lms logs? Regardless of any mac os settings, the log is the best shot in knowing where the problem lies.

Go to server settings --> logging and you will find the logfile path. Posting a screenshot here. As you can see my log file path is /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log. But my LMS is on linux and yours is on a mac. The path will be different.
https://www.mysqueezebox.com/download is the link where I downloaded LMS

My screen for the LMS path 192.....:9000 does not show the Settings and stuff as you have. It simply shows the Library (the test I have on my Mac HDD). I have to open Settings Window from the Advanced Settings of LMS pane accessed through System Preferences. The log file shows error

[22-06-11 19:31:17.7246] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::Async::__ANON__ (70) Error scanning file or folder: /Volumes/music: Operation not permitted

This is even after permitting Full Access.

I guess some issue with Synology. There are reports on Synology forums that LMS is no more supported by Synology. It can be understood if I tried to install it on the NAS but here it is only a Volume mounted on Mac. :(

Oh, this is all happening after an initial success. Things were playing alright until I moved the Mac to the living room and started it again.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back