RPi + HAT or....

Was trying to do that taking cue from what you wrote earlier and another forum post that was pointed to. Was not able to complete that . The OK button was grayed out and was not able to open to anything active in Perl 5.18 folder.
Most probably the lock icon was in effect. If so, the option gets greyed out.

All's well that ends well. Does it sound good, and does it solve your original issues?
Need to turn up the volume today evening. Family had retired when I made it all work. Played a Local Radio on SqueezePlayer and it sounded pretty good.

Now to look for a decent DAC, iFi DAC I have is playing up these days. No output on L channel sometimes. So using an el cheapo DAC with input from Optical out of Mac Mini.

Maybe CA Magic DAC - 3 digital In - USB In from Mac, Toslink from CDP and TV. Balanced out to ACAs and RCA to the tube amp.

Now to look for a decent DAC, iFi DAC I have is playing up these days. No output on L channel sometimes. So using an el cheapo DAC with input from Optical out of Mac Mini.
The optical out of mac mini is awful. I tried to make it work properly last sat/sun. Though the specs says it can do sampling rate upto 96 kHz, it goes only upto 48 kHz without dropouts. I first thought it is my optical cable acting and purchased a brand new optical cable (blue riggers) from Amazon and it gave the same result. Get a decent dac from Toppings and you should be fine.

The optical out of mac mini is awful. I tried to make it work properly last sat/sun. Though the specs says it can do sampling rate upto 96 kHz, it goes only upto 48 kHz without dropouts. I first thought it is my optical cable acting and purchased a brand new optical cable (blue riggers) from Amazon and it gave the same result. Get a decent dac from Toppings and you should be fine.
Was using the optical out of Mac to connect the HK Nova I have.

When I got the iFi DAC, i switched to USB. Last night iFi seemed to play up. No sound while it worked on my PC !!

I have heard of Toppings from HFV and others. Will look for it. Had I not built that tube preamp, the best choice would have been Pro-ject Pre-Box-DS2-Digital . Very versatile. All ana - digi sources can go into it.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pre-box-ds2-digital/

I was just looking up if we need anything like above 48kHz. Vaguely remember the sampling theory - sampling frequency should be double the Nyquist frequency or 48kHz comfortably covers audible range. Got this for a long read - nearly half way through, rest for the evening.

A bit free at work today :)

When I got the iFi DAC, i switched to USB. Last night iFi seemed to play up. No sound while it worked on my PC !!

I have heard of Toppings from HFV and others. Will look for it. Had I not built that tube preamp, the best choice would have been Pro-ject Pre-Box-DS2-Digital . Very versatile. All ana - digi sources can go into it.
The Project DACs are also good.
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pre-box-ds2-digital/

I was just looking up if we need anything like above 48kHz. Vaguely remember the sampling theory - sampling frequency should be double the Nyquist frequency or 48kHz comfortably covers audible range. Got this for a long read - nearly half way through, rest for the evening.

Highe sampling rate is not for recording signals higher than 192 kHz. It has to do with working of the delta sigma convertors that are used in dacs. The quantization errors reduce with higher the sampling rate and improving the signal to noise ratio.

If the delta sigma modulators were perfect, there would have been no need to go above 40 kHz.

The Project DACs are also good.

Highe sampling rate is not for recording signals higher than 192 kHz. It has to do with working of the delta sigma convertors that are used in dacs. The quantization errors reduce higher the sampling rate and improving the signal to noise ratio.
Was looking at your LinkedIn profile. Did you do Mechanical Engineering plus Material MTech OR Electrical plus Electronics & Comms? :D

I just remembered. This was happening with squeezelite on my mac mini too. It may not be your iFi Dac the problem. Sometimes squeezlite doesn't play audio first time after reboot. In the LMS interface you can turn on and off the player. Just do that once and you may be fine.

I just remembered. This was happening with squeezelite on my mac mini too. It may not be your iFi Dac the problem. Sometimes squeezlite doesn't play audio first time after reboot. In the LMS interface you can turn on and off the player. Just do that once and you may be fine.
On my rpi running picoreplayer, I have no such problem. Rock steady. My set up goes
Rpi->allo digi Spdif coax->behringer Deq2496 -> soekris r2r dac - > analog input selector + vol control (pga2311) - > Diy ussa-5 monoblocks - > mission m53.
Sadly my Martin Logan esls need some love and care. Haven't found the time.

On my rpi running picoreplayer, I have no such problem. Rock steady. My set up goes
Rpi->allo digi Spdif coax->behringer Deq2496 -> soekris r2r dac - > analog input selector + vol control (pga2311) - > Diy ussa-5 monoblocks - > mission m53.
Sadly my Martin Logan esls need some love and care. Haven't found the time.
Same here. I don't have this problem with squeezelite on my RPI. Only on mac mini this problem is there. Also in the squeezlite log there is an error after every reboot about timeout connecting to Core Audio. Maybe the trick would be to delay the launch of squeezelite. I will try that.

Same here. I don't have this problem with squeezelite on my RPI. Only on mac mini this problem is there. Also in the squeezlite log there is an error after every reboot about timeout connecting to Core Audio. Maybe the trick would be to delay the launch of squeezelite. I will try that.
Yeah, maybe Core Audio is just taking time to initialize and open it's listening ports

Hey @Subbu68, if you wouldn't mind, could you please post a line about your whole successful chain like surfatwork did in #130
( this -> that -> next thing -> etc)? It is hard to keep all the options straight and I am starting to think the old ways are the best :) Thanks.

Attachments

• the_old_way_chairside.jpg
    the_old_way_chairside.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
Hey @Subbu68, if you wouldn't mind, could you please post a line about your whole successful chain like surfatwork did in #130
( this -> that -> next thing -> etc)? It is hard to keep all the options straight and I am starting to think the old ways are the best :) Thanks.
I was going to do that but that success seems short lived. Now the NAS does not connect on start up on Mac. The SqueezePlayer control on the mobile app drops off at random. I have to play from the Mac with a mouse. The whole purpose was to stop using the TV as a screen and mouse and KB to control. Another headache it seems to cure or have to go back to Win 11 laptop.

I was going to do that but that success seems short lived. Now the NAS does not connect on start up on Mac. The SqueezePlayer control on the mobile app drops off at random. I have to play from the Mac with a mouse. The whole purpose was to stop using the TV as a screen and mouse and KB to control. Another headache it seems to cure or have to go back to Win 11 laptop.
sorry to hear that. Does the NAS fail to connect when you startup the mac or does it happen when mac is already running and you start the NAS?

For the later, you have to use automount, which involves editing two files /etc/auto_master and /etc/auto_smb.

sorry to hear that. Does the NAS fail to connect when you startup the mac or does it happen when mac is already running and you start the NAS?

For the later, you have to use automount, which involves editing two files /etc/auto_master and /etc/auto_smb.
Both were on and connected last night. When I came back to listen to some music a while ago, Mac had logged out that is normal and after logging in NAS was not seen.

Prior to going back to Mojave, on a boot up the NAS was connected automatically. Now I have to manually do it.

Now the Squeeze Controller app too has joined the gang. It is like a controller for playback only and that too after I pick an album and play it on the SqueezePlayer that is on the Mac. If I changed the album, nothing plays though it says it has started playing the track.

Kodi on the device/os of your choice (mine is a chinese android box)
Kore remote on your phone (mine is android)

I have all my music on a 500gb usb2 hdd. 10k+ tracks properly organized and tagged. Output via usb dac to an active bookshelf. HiFi cast for local playback.

All this is similar to the Darko-Mi box setup, but el cheapo.

Both were on and connected last night. When I came back to listen to some music a while ago, Mac had logged out that is normal and after logging in NAS was not seen.
It must have been removed from the login items when you downgraded.
Do the following
1) Mount the NAS manually. This is required only once
2) Click on System Settings --> User & Groups --> click on lock button to unlock --> Click on Login Items --> click on the Plus sign in the right pane --> Finder will open, navigate to the mounted NAS folder --> Click on Add on the bottom right

It must have been removed from the login items when you downgraded.
Do the following
1) Mount the NAS manually. This is required only once
2) Click on System Settings --> User & Groups --> click on lock button to unlock --> Click on Login Items --> click on the Plus sign in the right pane --> Finder will open, navigate to the mounted NAS folder --> Click on Add on the bottom right
Ha, this is what I was looking for. I think you had pointed this out earlier too and I did it before the downgrade but I could not remember what I did. Thank you :) .

Will try in the evening.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back