RPi + HAT or....

Move aside Mac.

Come in Win11 laptop.

Things were reasonably smooth. Squeezelite-X player and LMS on laptop. Controlled by the Droid app InnoPlay...

[22-06-11 19:31:17.7246] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::Async::__ANON__ (70) Error scanning file or folder: /Volumes/music: Operation not permitted
This means LMS doesn't have access to /Volumes/music

What is the output of the following command on your mac mini. Run this command in terminal

Also run the following command in terminal
ls -l /Volumes/music
and
ps -ef | grep -i squeezeboxserver

Move aside Mac.

Come in Win11 laptop.

Things were reasonably smooth. Squeezelite-X player and LMS on laptop. Controlled by the Droid app InnoPlay...

This will be easier on windows. It hardly has the concept of permissions. All and sundry are invited to look at files and folders by default.

This means LMS doesn't have access to /Volumes/music

What is the output of the following command on your mac mini. Run this command in terminal

This will be easier on windows. It hardly has the concept of permissions. All and sundry are invited to look at files and folders by default.
Let me try tomorrow and get back..

After a few hours slogging every evening since Thursday to get LMS work, sat to hear some music

This may help.
Apple makes it very hard to stray from their walled garden
That is what the above post is about. "Granting full disk access to perl". But I suspect subbu's problem to be deeper than that. He says it was working earlier and now after shifting, it is not working. Most probably during installation, LMS started with Subbu's login id. After shutdown, LMS is probably running with a totally different uid. The NAS share is probably mounted only to give access to subbu's uid. That's why i have asked him to do ls -l on the NAS share to show the permissions of the directories and ps -ef command of the squeezebox perl process to confirm that it is running with Subbu's uid.

Some of the programming of few things on mac is done by idiots. Today I wasted many hours trying to mount a Samba share on mac os where the password of the share has the @ symbol. Mac is considering anything after the first @ as the hostname. Linux does this perfectly by looking at the last @. It uses the last @ to figure out the hostname whereas Mac uses the first @ it finds.

Example this command fails on mac but succeeds on Linux. mac considers the host as @[email protected]. Whereas Linux correctl figures out the host as 192.168.2.101.
Ultimately I had to change the password with something that doesn't have the @ symbol so that Steve Jobs can access my no alac encoded music in heaven. In the case below the username is manny, password is artuiaf@@123, host is 192.168.2.101 (my raspberry pi 4 server) and NAS is the samba share.
sudo mount -t smbfs '//manny:artuiaf@@[email protected]/NAS' /Users/mbhangui/MDrive

Last edited:
Possible. It did sound to me like a simple permissions problem. Don't think it has anything to do with the synology app since once mounted, LMS will see it as simply another drive
As for windows, it's like Microsoft went "if we have a gate, then people would have to alight from their car every time to open the gate. So let's have neither a gate nor even a wall"

@mbhangui
ran the commands and got as below. When running the ls-l command I first got a popup but without checking pressed enter. I think it was to allow the access that unfortunately had the default button Disallow. I think I pressed it :(

This is the terminal after that incident. Not able to go back to that same pop-up. All ls-l command runs return not permitted.

Untitled.jpg

@mbhangui
ran the commands and got as below. When running the ls-l command I first got a popup but without checking pressed enter. I think it was to allow the access that unfortunately had the default button Disallow. I think I pressed it :(

This is the terminal after that incident. Not able to go back to that same pop-up. All ls-l command runs return not permitted.

View attachment 69954

Your own user doesn't have access to the mounted share. Most likely the NFS/CIFS/Samba share hasn't got mounted properly or some configuration is needed.

Are you able to access /Volumes/music using finder?

How did you mount the share on 192.168.0.115.

Last edited:
Your own user doesn't have access to the mounted share. Most likely the NFS/CIFS/Samba share hasn't got mounted properly or some configuration is needed.

Are you able to access /Volumes/music using finder?

How did you mount the share on 192.168.0.115.
I used Finder Go > Connect to Server and through the above IP/music

I am able to play any file from there through Finder

I used Finder Go > Connect to Server and through the above IP/music

I am able to play any file from there through Finder
Looks like only finder has access to the mount. Can you unmount and mount it again and then again to ls -l on /Volumes/music

Also the output of command ps -ef |grep -i squeezeboxserver showed only the grep command. Maybe I got the name of the LMS server wrong. On linux it is squeezeboxserver.

Instead of squeezeboxserver use perl. i.e.
ps -ef | grep perl

Once we do that, in the next step we will grant full disk access to perl

as an experiment I mounted a share using exactly like you, using the finder. But I don't get a problem with doing ls. Maybe in your case terminal doesn't have access to files and folders
1655029761753.png

Looks like only finder has access to the mount. Can you unmount and mount it again and then again to ls -l on /Volumes/music

Also the output of command ps -ef |grep -i squeezeboxserver showed only the grep command. Maybe I got the name of the LMS server wrong. On linux it is squeezeboxserver.

Instead of squeezeboxserver use perl. i.e.

Once we do that, in the next step we will grant full disk access to perl
Oh yes, I did unmount and mounted the NAS again before running the ls -l. I posted the Terminal screenshot after that process.

Was thinking of putting Mac Mini to use.

If you got any clue please inform. Would continue the efforts.

Oh yes, I did unmount and mounted the NAS again before running the ls -l. I posted the Terminal screenshot after that process.

Was thinking of putting Mac Mini to use.

If you got any clue please inform. Would continue the efforts.
maybe after reboot again try the ls -l. The output of ls -l is crucial to know what is happening. It will show the permissions of the files and folders and who owns them. The first uid on mac is 501. Maybe your synology NAS has assigned a different uid and ls -l will show that. If ls -l cannot show you the files, neither will perl executable have access. This will cause LMS not be able to build the library and will have zero music files. Can you send me the screenshot of
ps -ef | grep perl

and

ls -l /usr/bin/perl*

I did a reboot and from the last post of yours and found File and Folders access to Terminal was not enabled in my Mac. Ticked it and then this is what I got as below. with LMS the situation is same Library Empty.

I also unmounted and remounted the NAS. Rebooted the machine and still the same.

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ls -l /volumes/music

total 32

drwx------ 1 subsang staff 16384 Jun 10 16:59 NAS MUSIC

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ps -ef | grep perl

501 682 1 0 4:12PM ?? 0:04.81 /usr/bin/perl5.18 /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl

501 1068 1038 0 4:14PM ttys000 0:00.00 grep perl

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ls -l/usr/bin/perl*

ls: illegal option -- /

usage: ls [-@ABCFGHLOPRSTUWabcdefghiklmnopqrstuwx1%] [file ...]

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ls -l //usr/bin/perl5.18

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 37552 Sep 22 2020 //usr/bin/perl5.18

subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ps -ef | grep perl
501 682 1 0 4:12PM ?? 0:04.81 /usr/bin/perl5.18 /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl
What you have installed is slimserver as LMS. Now that I know that you are using slimserver, I did a google search and this is a common problem of slimserver getting access to attached volumes. One good thing I can see is that it is running with uid 501 which is your uid. See the screenshot for permissions below. That is exactly the same permissions you need to give

501 1068 1038 0 4:14PM ttys000 0:00.00 grep perl
subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ls -l/usr/bin/perl*
ls: illegal option -- /
usage: ls [-@ABCFGHLOPRSTUWabcdefghiklmnopqrstuwx1%] [file ...]
subramoiamsmini:~ subsang$ ls -l //usr/bin/perl5.18
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 37552 Sep 22 2020 //usr/bin/perl5.18

Give full Disk access to /usr/bin/perl5.18. Just like you gave terminal full access and commands run under terminal get full access, once you give perl5.18 full access, LMS (which is actuall a perl script /Library/PreferencePane/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl, LMS should be able to access the folders under /Volumes/music.

In addition to giving access to /usr/bin/perl5.18, please give full access to the following two executables

/bin/sh
/bin/bash

Edit: See these two threads

and

Last edited:
Manavendra @mbhangui , @surfatwork

Oh, yeah made the Mac to work. That Catalina was catapulting LMS's access to the NAS. Rolled back to Mojave aur maja aa gaya. Deleted the LMS on the laptop. Now Mac can serve me till it dies :)

Squeezeplayer on Mac and Squeezelite-X on laptop controlled by Squeeze Controller app on my mobile. Paid INR 400 for that app, worth it.

Thank you for your efforts to try and help me out.

Manavendra @mbhangui , @surfatwork

Oh, yeah made the Mac to work. That Catalina was catapulting LMS's access to the NAS. Rolled back to Mojave aur maja aa gaya. Deleted the LMS on the laptop. Now Mac can serve me till it dies :)

Squeezeplayer on Mac and Squeezelite-X on laptop controlled by Squeeze Controller app on my mobile. Paid INR 400 for that app, worth it.

Thank you for your efforts to try and help me out.
Glad it worked. Though I think if you had given perl disk access, it would have worked on Catalina too.

Glad it worked. Though I think if you had given perl disk access, it would have worked on Catalina too.
True, if I had known how to do it.

Wish I had put the Mac into work earlier. Never knew this use. Also should have dived into the Terminal commands and such things but was not confident and partly afraid I'd bust the Mac. First time I did that when I converted an old Vaio into a Chromebook in 2020 - 20 plus years after starting to use computers 😢

My wife did not want to marry a computer engineer as they were pictured as always sitting in front of PC . Chose me to find me also tinkering around. :)

True, if I had known how to do it.

Wish I had put the Mac into work earlier. Never knew this use. Also should have dived into the Terminal commands and such things but was not confident and partly afraid I'd bust the Mac. First time I did that when I converted an old Vaio into a Chromebook in 2020 - 20 plus years after starting to use computers 😢
All that was required was settings --> Security & Privacy --> Disk Access --> click on the lock icon to unlock --> click on the + symbol and type /usr/bin/perl5.18. Screenshot attached.

You have a good AMP and speakers. If you decide to go for apple music for high resolution stuff, then you will need to upgrade your mac mini to Big Sur or above. In that case you will again face this issue. The mac mini can get a new lease of life if you upgrade the hard disk to SSD and upgrade to Big Sur, Monterey, etc. Today one FM @vbutani upgraded his 2012 macbook and he is pleased with it.
1655145485790.png

All that was required was settings --> Security & Privacy --> Disk Access --> click on the lock icon to unlock --> click on the + symbol and type /usr/bin/perl5.18. Screenshot attached
View attachment 69997
Was trying to do that taking cue from what you wrote earlier and another forum post that was pointed to. Was not able to complete that . The OK button was grayed out and was not able to open to anything active in Perl 5.18 folder.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back