saga of my dream speaker Legendary JBL L300

krell

good morning friends,
somehow i was fascinated about vintage jbl sound, the punchy bass and the clear highs and i like the sound. i had jbl l 100t3 and i love its sound from top to bottom.
i read a lot of great reviews about the Iconic JBL L 300 sound in lancing forum and other forums.
i decided to build the jbl l 300 clone with nelson pass crossover.first sourcing of all the components.
i have to buy the components with original diaphragms and original cones inorder to avoid any further problems.
it took me about 04 months to buy all the components and all are shipped to my location with some help from some members and friends.
all are purchased from ebay usa.
the crossover componets are purchased from madisound usa.
the potentiometers are taken from my old yamaha ns1000m crossover.
these are very high quality pots,hence taken for this project.
the components are
)jbl2405H(Slot tweeter for highs,equavalent to domestic 077)
2)jbl 2420 with 2412 long horn(equavalent to le85)
3)jbl 2235h for lows
4)all the crossover components are as per nelson pass and purchased from madisound
5)i didnt found smoked glass tops, hence normal 6mm black glass was used
6)3mm padding under the glass was sourced from market which had 1mm rubber sheet with 2mm felt/foam
7)all the insulation material is 2mm thick glass wool.
8)2way binding posts purchsed from ebay
9)jbl stickers are purchased from ebay(italian seller)
for painting i used one coat of wood primer and then used the automotive paint by spray.
i didnt done veneering till now but used some vinyl laminate for temperarily purpose.
grill are ready but still not decided whether to used magnetic grill guides or normal guides, once decided then i can go ahead with fixing of the cloth on the frame and drill the holes for grill.
i have to say lot of thanks for lancing forum which is having great resources for building of my project.
finally the sound,

its one of the best till date in my life...........

9a3Xubh.jpg

"]mg][/URL]

fap9CaP.jpg

GQA79qb.jpg

FwCvrYi.jpg

Vo35U32.jpg

bnzMECY.jpg

zCieA5b.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats... Looks wonderful !!! NO need to look back any other speakers in search of purity in audio..

Very well done!! they Look fantastic! Surely they sound superlative.

Would be great if you can put up a youtube video of these beasts in action.

Are your loaded cabinets as heavy as the L300 - ~65kg each? What are you driving them with?

i use 3/4 inch mdf with internal bracing the total weight is nearly 70kg, because my weighing mc weight limit is 68 kg, it is showing excess, means it is about 70kg,yes the sound is incredible with the mids and hghs to die for, the lows are ultimate, hitting my stomoch without any mercy.
no need to think any upgrade.
currently driving them with ps power amp and philips ah 280 pre, infuture may upgrade.
great quality drivers of vintage jbl.
will post the youtube video asap.
thanks a lot for your comments.

Is that called exact meaning of Passion ?

Humongous effort in Planning, Executing as well as thinking, You could have moved away to some Model or Brand if the L300 are not available in this Universe :).

You spend such a log time in bringing in live to the Drivers and given the full perfect shape for them.

My Bad luck, am unable to visit the Holy place where these legend are living in :)

Just a Video shouldn't be enough, I would request you to spend some time in pen the complete Journey from the day you thought " Yeah let me build my Own L300" till they starting to Sing in your room.

No words to explain or express. You made this forum proud- Best effort for building speaker out of Love.

thanks audio freek,for your amazing words..
the moment i listen the first note from the speakers i forgot every thing,they are truly amazing.
you are always welcome to listen them, basically i am from andhrapradesh,but due to job i was staying in oman from last 9years.
thanks one more time for your inspiring words,yes i will make a complete writeup asap for some one who is intrested in this kind of project.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back