sam9s NAS Project! powered by Unraid!!

You gotta be kidding me, E2000 DOES have gigabit ports. All 4 ports are gigabit ports. which website did you refer brother. Here check the official link.

Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router

e2000.jpg

and its not being discontinued, I wonder which website you visited. Here again the link of all the E series routers available in Asia Pacific

Routers

sam plz check and recheck your links

there is no E2000 PERIOD!

Friends,

Successfully Finished adding up a new functionality to my NAS. Have created my NAS in a full blown Music Server, that can host and stream music stored on my NAS, all over internet using SqueezBox Media Server.

Initially I was just able to do this inside my LAN, but wanted to have the collection from outside as well, via internet. Which finally I was able to do it. Now not only can I stream the music (absolutely flawlessly without any lag, buffering what so ever) I can also download the music file as well, on the local PC from where I am accessing my server. Pretty Neat. Here some snaps as to how it looks ....

I am not sharing the URL to access as I currently do not know the repercussions to my bandwidth limitations if and when the server is accessed by multiple people from all across the places. But just to give you the feel few snaps to share ....

When you login using the url from any PC having internet, this is the home page you get ...

2ibnt4g.jpg

You then navigate to My Music = > Music Folder and there you see your music folder/collection you have on your NAS. Like I have in the snap below.

64ovtw.jpg

You then use, any media player, (Winamp, VLC, foobar) to start streaming the music. The below snap shows song playing using winamp.

2akk1sp.jpg

I also prepared a small 1 min video showing that the server is actually playing the music from internet using my NAS as a Music Server. On the top right under player you can see winamp listed with a public IP, confirming that the music is been played from internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1XelVcezi0

My next attempt is to be able to have the same functionality over my Android phone, so that I can listen to my Music collection on the go over 3G:D

Last edited:
Also it would be great if you can work on the torrent client as well. I know you normally do not go the torrent way rather use direct download but I think people like me who do torrent downloads it would be great to have a feature in the NAS. I am also going thru the initial phase of researching to built a NAS and I read your DIY and its great with used components and at a low cost. I would like to replicate the same.:clapping:

Thanks..

^^ Well I seriously hate torrents, but yes you can add torrent feature, infact there are applications that can automatically search seeds for the same torrent across net and continue with the downloading. But you have to do an RnD by your self on this as I wont do ti as I dont need it. But yes this feature can be added to the NAS that is something I am sure off.

@anm .. ripping ...???? I dont understand ... I mean these are all MP3s which one can download if has the access to my Media Server.

Wow Thanks anm you have actually given me something new that I didnt know........... to do some RnD and work on it. Let me see if this can be incorporated with unraid. ...... will get back to you on this .... thanks again

anm , I did a full research on Vortexbox and it does seems to be a pretty nice OS for a Media Server. It is also based in Linux (Fedora) and runs headless, just like Unraid and needs to be accessed via network. The OS is specially good for people who do not at all want to go in to command line to do any kind of configuration.

Vortexbox is a complete OS rather than an application (which I initially though it would be) so was hoping there would be some way to incorporate it with Unraid. Seems I was wrong, its all together an OS in itself and so can not be run on unraid as such.

The main feature of Vortexbox which I really liked is to be able automatically rip CDs, convert them to FLAC and store them on to the HDD, (and if instructed convert them to MP3ss as well), which is what I wanted on Unraid. My search began with...... to be able to find an application that can Autorip the CDs inserted to the desired location. I found few like the famous ABCDE (A Better CD Encoder) specifically written for Ubuntu. Doesnt seem to run on UNraid ... Nobody tried. For windows there are loads of applications, but none is totally automated. If You can find one let me know. So I was stuck with Vortexbox. But I didnt want to run an altogether another server just for this feature.

This is how (for now I solved it)

Along with my Unraid, I also have ESXi server running that I access from office for my office work (not that I do not have the same in office, but its an extra added adv plus one might agree you feel good working on your own server) ..... Anyway I use my ESXi for all my lab experiments and so decided to give Vortexbox a try on ESXi for my Auto ripping needs without actually installing the OS on to a different machine. Before creating the machine on ESXi. I first tried it on my local desktop VMware machine.

I must say vortex box is a pretty impressive piece of Linux flavor, targeted to do just what it intends. A dedicated music server, with audio auto ripping feature, that gives straight access to your music collection on the network via their squeezebox server (which is what I have on my UNraid) OR just open the folder from network and play the music. Pretty nice interface. Below is what it looks like when accessed from a network PC.

vboxm.jpg

Since it was on VMware the ripping did not work out of the box, but it should on a stand alone server. I had to do some command line tweaking, and few config file modifications to get this done. But once its done its a breeze.

Just popin the CD, and its ripped in FLAC and stored in the default FLAC folder on the server. If you want you can also choose to encode the FLACs in to MP3 and store then in the default MP3 server folder.

THis is how the ripping progress looks in case one wants to view it.

vbox2.jpg

Another nice feature is that Vortexbox not only rips the tracks it also downloads the cover art and stores in the folder. Plus every song is ripped with proper track information downloaded via internet.

You then can run the inbuilt Squeeze Box server (that I have to manually install on my Unraid) from the home page itself. It would launch the SB Server page that I already have shared. You can then choose your desired application to play music.

vbox4.jpg

Squeezebox also provides it own Squeezesoft player that gets itself synced with the server and get all the information from the default folder (you need to have an account on squeezebox.com). You then just need to scan your library. Like shown below. Once the lib is scanned the player and the server remain in sync and you dont have to rescan or reconnect it again and all your song library, playlist, settings, even the position of the song remains same across system boots

vbox3scanning.jpg

Over all nice experience and definitely a worthy product.

I am pretty impressed by VBs performance on VM as well.

Last must have feature was to be able to rip the music and directly store it on Unraid, instead of storing it on the local VB HDD. This was not as easy as it sounds.

For some reason I was not able to achieve this. Maybe just maybe coz of VB running on VMWare. (But my objective was to run it on ESXi) so this was important. This involves quite a few command line changes, which didnt work for me .... so I had to find a different solution.

I use AllWay Sync to sync few files from my regular desktop to Unraid (my Family snaps and digital photos as I need to keep a copy of the same on my regular desktop as well). I just add new snaps to my regular desktop and All Sync syncs it to Unraid automatically.

In this case I had to set up Allway sync to automatically copy the FLACs from VB HDD to Unraid HDD every time I rip a disk. The process runs in the background and is completely automated.

Now all I do is pop in my disk in to my regular desktop PC. VM Machine running VBox captures the disk and copies the FLACS on to Vbox disk, from there AllSync takes over and copies the same to my Unraid the moment it detects new files in the folder .........

All process works flawlessly and is completely automated ....so now I have decided to install the same on my ESXi, which would make it available 24x7. All I would need is to pop in the CD on my Host machine and all would be done itself ......

Will share more information once I install it on ESXi ......

Regards
Sammy
If anyone is interested in implementing VB can shoots questions ... hope this information helps someone ....

PS :::: There are few major drawbacks of VBox. You cannot add a hdd just like that, as you do on Unraid. You can though instruct VB to install 2 disks as RAID 0 at the time of VB installation, but if you need to add HDD, you need proper linux command line knowledge, or follow up articles online for the same. So its best to install VB with a big initial HDD like one 3TB and leave everything else. 3TB should be enough for just FLACs and MP3ss.

^^^ errrrr about what, were you waiting for some infor from my end .... I apologize if that was the case I didnt realize ....... whats the update you are looking for ... ???

I meant any progress on vortexbox?
Another issue - I am looking for a TINY NAS that can fit in my office drawer. I just got alix3d2 board with voyage OS to play music via MPD. It works perfect with my hrt streamer. However, when I connect hard disk via usb, it stutters. Seems it is a bandwidth issue with USB when using both the dac and usb hdd.
I want it to be a router+nas. Any help is appreciated.

^^ Where on earth did you manage to get alix3d2 board .... :). Tiny PC can be built without any problem, but NAS main objective is to have mass storage, how you gonna fit that, You can either built the CPU part with an ITX board and case and then connect it with a separate HDD rack via esata or USB 3.0 which can be kept in a separate space.

About Vortexbox, well as I mentioned its not possible to incorporate it with Unraid. So i decided to keep it on my ESXi server, which is connected to my Unraid. When I wanna use Vortexbox I just pop in the CD in my Host machine from where Vortexbox installed on my ESXi takes over rips the CD and store it on my Unraid ... :)

Last edited:
I got it from Voyage - Store
I am not looking at massive storage, or too high speeds, I just want it to serve music - let's say about 2 tb (possibly from a usb hdd). It should be running cool like the alix3d2 board so that I can stuff it inside a drawer and forget about it :)

Just came across this thread and am eager to know what the comparison is like between unraid and openfiler? The first post listed it but left out the comparison or pros/cons.

I ask because OpenFiler has so far been my personal favourite for running ESX virtual machines for over a year now without any downtime. So I was wondering if there is any disadvantage of using it to serve media files in a home theatre setup.

^^ arrrrr out of all the NAS I reviewed Openflier was the least of the one that I explored. See there are no straight positives or negatives, every OS/Application has its own set of features to offer, and might carter to different audience. You just need to see what suits you best.

Like you have been using Openflier for over a year now so you must be well aware of its features and shortcoming as well. You can compare them with Unraid to see if that might suit you better. Or better you can share its, shortcomings, drawbacks (if any), here on this thread and since I am using Unraid for 3,4 months now I can probablly provide a comparison or least provide information if those shortcomings/drawbacks are dealt by Unraid ..... :)

BTW : I am running ESXi as well on a complete separate server .... :)

Last edited:
I plan to setup openfiler with my P42V20D, but this will only be possible some time next month, I'll surely post my findings here. We can then do some benchmarking (using IO Meter ?) as well and see how they compare byte for byte :)

In the mean time members can check the OpenFiler website

Product Highlights
  • Unified storage: NAS/SAN
  • iSCSI target functionality
  • CIFS, NFS, HTTP, FTP Protocols
  • RAID 0,1,5,6,10 support
  • Bare metal or virtualization installation
  • 8TB+ Journaled filesystems
  • Filesystem Access Control Lists
  • Point In Time Copy (snapshots) support
  • Dynamic volume manager
  • Powerful web-based management
  • Block level remote replication
  • High Availability clustering

Friends .... Just wanted to update that my signature was pointing to the wrong thread and not my proper NAS one. Nobody pointed that out ..?????? Anyway its been corrected.

Looking forward for some great NAS DIYs as well as we have for HTPCs. :D

Regards
Sammy

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back