sam9s NAS Project! powered by Unraid!!

Mpd is music player daemon. Similar to the soft squeeze. I am running it on a debian based plug computer. It could be available as a ready package for installation for unraid, or you may have to build it from source

Since soft squeeze is running with squeezebox server, alsa drivers should exist. The tricky part is SQ

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

oh okie ,,,, well in that case I am using the Squeezebox server itself on Unraid...... I guess that is same as using MPD ..??? I have shared few snap shots as well of the same in the first couple of pages of this thread ......... :)

sam9s,

I must compliment you for a very well structured, documented, vivid and yet lucid post. I am sure that a 12 year old can read this thread and cojure what you achieved.

Great job. :)

No, sqbx server is just a bcakend. Mpd on the other hand has audio output on the client its installed on along with a full library function. More like iTunes or foobar on computers

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

^^ mmmmm but I dont use my client (NAS) as the source for my audio. I access my music collection on my NAS, via my HTPC that is connected to the stereo setup. That is inside my LAN, out side my network from internet I stream the same collection on 3G using the sqbx server .... :)

I have a GOFLEX net running debian, attached to a 4 bay esata enclosure hosting 4x2tb drives. This doubles as a nas, sqbx server and even a direct source for music using mpd

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

^^ mmm sounds interesting ..... would love to have more details ..... a couple of snaps would be icing on the cake ...:D

I have a GOFLEX net running debian, attached to a 4 bay esata enclosure hosting 4x2tb drives. This doubles as a nas, sqbx server and even a direct source for music using mpd

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!
Tell us more Dheeraj, I too have a very similar setup to yours. I have a 2TB Goflex NET that I use as a NAS just for storing FLAC and photographs on the home network. Would like to run Squeezebox server on it as I am currently running sqbx on an atom-powered laptop.

I also have a USB 3.0 4-bay Mediasonic enclosure that I have connected to a PC using USB 3.0 and access the content over a gigabit LAN. Currently this PC is a Lenovo All in one but I will be building a low power consumption headless Audio PC which will also provide USB 3.0 and Gigabit LAN to the mediasonic enclosure for Video streaming by my Popcorn C-200.

@Sam: forgot to update you. I changed my storage strategy since I did not want RAID, redundancy and did not want to access my video content from outside (video accounts for 80% of my ~8TB data) etc. Focus is now on easy portability and quick transfer of data between devices i.e., without going through LAN :).

^^ Sounds good if it suits you, but Unraid does not depend on any conventional RAID and certainly not on redundency .... its a Parity system that keeps a track of the data. There is no duplicacy what so ever. About accessing data from out side LAN , well that is not a feature of Unraid per se, but any NAS can be accessed out side your LAN using the techniques I have mentioned.
Portability is definately something I'd say would not be there as its a complete CPU, but I wonder why would one want to "port" a complete NAS unless the home is been shifted ....:).
NAS is usually dumped in one corner to be accessed via LAN itself.
Data transfer is as quick as almost USB 3.0. Ofcourse that is with complete gigabit lan. I think I have shared snap shots of data transfer rate across my NAS over LAN..... :)

well the setup I finally have now has been a result of constant change. started with a small time asus router some three years back with a usb drive plugged in. then media players, tonidoplug, guruplug and now finally a goflex net.

the pics attached will show the goflex net, sitting on top of the sans digital 4 bay esata enlosure. the goflex net has two full sata ports one hosts a 2.5" hdd (vertically plugged in the pic) that runs holds the debian FS and a data partition which spins 24x7 for torrents, document backup, blog host, file server etc. using a sata to esata cable, the enclosure is connected to the second sata port. it hosts 4 x 2tb drives in a JBOD setup (2 pulled out and currently with friend for music swap). this server sits in my room walk in closet on the overhead space along with the router and modems.

currently this goflex net does the following for me:-
squeezebox server
squeezeslave player
mpd
transmission torrent client (with queue and file move scripting along with email notification on completion)
flexget (automated rss based torrent search and upload to transmission)
pyload download client
httpd server
web file server
ftp server
ssh
8tb nas

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 102
So i connected my 1tb external hdd to my old desktops usb port .. connected my desktop no monitor mind you to the network and installed a dlna server on my desktop .. intalled open vpn and now my android devices,ps3 and my future ht have access to my 1 tb hd with all my media.. cost hdd cost i got it for 3800 and thats it.. no xmbc etc no hdmi but low power always on..connected a ups.. im sure i can replace the 2 internal 80 40 gb hdds to 2 tbs each i suppose when i need but i think im fine right now.. sadly the only disk i can hot swap is the usb one :( a low tech way if you have an old comp that you can neither sell nor throw away!!

This is slightly out of the topic. Need help in setting up a NAS box using freeNAS

I am planning to convert my PC as NAS box (this is a trial run). I have 2x1TB HDD in that. I am right now planning to use freeNAS and plan to use RAID 1 with mirror (so I assume I will get only 1TB as storage space).

Do I need another HDD for running freeNAS?

^^ Though you can install freeNAS on the same hard drive, you have your data, but its always advisable to keep things seperate, and you dont need a complete HDD for freeNAS. It can and I think should be installed on a USB Drive. I remember I tested free NAS on the USB drive itself on my VMWare.

The below link might help ...

How to install FreeNAS to USB stick | Angel's Place
J
Just out of curiosity..... why you going for freeNAS and that too Raid 1. Just a suggestion.....go through the first page of this thread and read about Unraids Parity based security (or better google). It pretty cool. In a nut shell, you can backup up to 15 HDD on one single HDD with parity based backup ...... so you dont have to have double the space for the same. The thing is, parity based backup though can backup up to 15 disks, it can only retrieve data if any one of the HDD fails, if two fail simultaneously you still retrieve data albeit not 100%. With Raid 1 say you have 2 data disks (and 2 for mirror i.e 4 in total), if one fails you retrieve all you data just like parity based, but if you loose both simultaneously you loose ALL your data unlike parity based security (where you still manage to save some). Raid 1 only makes sense if you have a big array 5 or more (i.e 10 HDD) ....cos its highly unlikely that all your 5 disks fail simultaneously

Another point which also should be noted is that since RAID 1 depends on mirroring the data on multiple disks it does not provide protection against data corruption due to viruses, accidental file deletions, or any other data-specific changes. coz, any such changes made are mirrored to every drive in the array segment. A virus, for example, that damages data on one drive in a RAID 1 array will damage the same data on all other drives in the array at the same time.

Please read and understand every tech intricacies for each data security technique before deciding for one ....If you wanna stick to RAID (for what ever reason) RAID 5 should be the one to go for. RAID 5 ia also the closest to to what Unraid uses for its security.

Last edited:
I read your thread already. I am going to try unraid too. later will try flexraid too. I need the box to download torrents too. I am in trial phase currently.

Thanks for the detailed reply and an all detailed thread.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back