Samsung 2012 PS43E470 review - The budget performer.

E470 has following picture options
16:9
Wide Zoom (the image zooms vertically keeping the width same)
Zoom
4:3

recommended is 16:9 as its the screen ratio. my cable operator transmits 4:3 images so they looks pressed vertically on 16:9 screen. However, it looks better on Wide zoom as the vertical height increases. So i m watchign cable programs on WIDE ZOOM option.

My question from you guys is that if on long run I use wide zoom option instead of 16:9 can it harm my tv hardware or panel in any ways??????????

E470 has following picture options
16:9
Wide Zoom (the image zooms vertically keeping the width same)
Zoom
4:3

recommended is 16:9 as its the screen ratio. my cable operator transmits 4:3 images so they looks pressed vertically on 16:9 screen. However, it looks better on Wide zoom as the vertical height increases. So i m watchign cable programs on WIDE ZOOM option.

My question from you guys is that if on long run I use wide zoom option instead of 16:9 can it harm my tv hardware or panel in any ways??????????
Wide zoom (or for that matter zoom of any kind) will not affect the TV - only your viewing pleasure. Zoomed picture will show more pixels and artifacts.

^^^^
For watching most of the normal television programs wide zoom is better as the pictures ae seen in the normal ratio. Watching 4:3: programs in 16:9 ratio is really irritating as the human faces are seen as some one has hit their head with a hammer. Only problem is that you will lost the bottom scrolling bar in the case of news channels.

But the Videocon has seem to have adopted another method for adjusting the 4:3 video in to a 16:9 display. Recently when I watched a Videocon TV, the scrolls are seen running faster at both ends. On further examination it is noted that the TV is stretching the left and right extreme portions to accommodate it on a 16:9 display and leaving the center portion untouched. When there is no scrolls this trick is not noticeable and IMO this is better than wide zoom. But I could not find how it is possible on my E490. Any ideas on this ?

^^^^
For watching most of the normal television programs wide zoom is better as the pictures ae seen in the normal ratio. Watching 4:3: programs in 16:9 ratio is really irritating as the human faces are seen as some one has hit their head with a hammer. Only problem is that you will lost the bottom scrolling bar in the case of news channels.

But the Videocon has seem to have adopted another method for adjusting the 4:3 video in to a 16:9 display. Recently when I watched a Videocon TV, the scrolls are seen running faster at both ends. On further examination it is noted that the TV is stretching the left and right extreme portions to accommodate it on a 16:9 display and leaving the center portion untouched. When there is no scrolls this trick is not noticeable and IMO this is better than wide zoom. But I could not find how it is possible on my E490. Any ideas on this ?
What you are mentioning is known as the "Just" mode. That is nothing to do with Videocon as such.

What you are mentioning is known as the "Just" mode. That is nothing to do with Videocon as such.

May be. But it is not available on my E490. What I said was that this ("just") mode is better than the wide zoom for watching normal TV channels.

May be. But it is not available on my E490. What I said was that this ("just") mode is better than the wide zoom for watching normal TV channels.

That depends. If the SD channel is showing in full frame then you will feel quite ok with just a slight distortion. On the other hand if the chanel is broadcasting in letterbox mode (as in case with most movies), then the image on screen will be unnaturally stretched with huge black bars on top and bottom. The picture content will occupy only 50% of the screen or so. In this case, zoom will be better.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Hey folks!

On the subject of the missing JUST mode in the Samsung E470/E490, it's come as quite a surprise to me!

I guess @just4kix is correct when he says that for some SD channels, which are both pillarboxed and letterboxed, zoom is any way a better bet than JUST mode.

When it comes to news channels, of course, as @god2007 says, it's no solution and the lack of JUST mode means either suffering the fat faces caused by 16:9 stretching or risking burn-in with pillarboxed 4:3.

I'm trying to choose between the Samsung 43E490 and the Panasonic 42XT50 - I was leaning towards the Sammy because it's the cheaper of the two and the TV's seem well-matched otherwise. Now though, I'm wondering if I need to pay a little more and get the Panny instead - a lot of our watching at home involves the news channels (not me personally, I'd rather read online, but the others) and it seems a pity to pick a TV with great care, and then spend a few hours a day looking at a distorted (stretched 16:9) image!

My question: does any one have experience safely watching pillarboxed SD channels on the Sammy (or other plasma) ona regular basis, or should I just go ahead, pay extra and buy the Panny?

Many thanks, and I appreciate your indulgence - this is my first post!

Hey folks!

On the subject of the missing JUST mode in the Samsung E470/E490, it's come as quite a surprise to me!

I guess @just4kix is correct when he says that for some SD channels, which are both pillarboxed and letterboxed, zoom is any way a better bet than JUST mode.

When it comes to news channels, of course, as @god2007 says, it's no solution and the lack of JUST mode means either suffering the fat faces caused by 16:9 stretching or risking burn-in with pillarboxed 4:3.

I'm trying to choose between the Samsung 43E490 and the Panasonic 42XT50 - I was leaning towards the Sammy because it's the cheaper of the two and the TV's seem well-matched otherwise. Now though, I'm wondering if I need to pay a little more and get the Panny instead - a lot of our watching at home involves the news channels (not me personally, I'd rather read online, but the others) and it seems a pity to pick a TV with great care, and then spend a few hours a day looking at a distorted (stretched 16:9) image!

My question: does any one have experience safely watching pillarboxed SD channels on the Sammy (or other plasma) ona regular basis, or should I just go ahead, pay extra and buy the Panny?

It is certainly not recommended to watch any channel in either pillar box or letter box mode during initial phase (initial 200hrs). Later you can watch it but risk of IR(Image Retention) are there. But experts now a days are recommending to watch it without fear after the burn in. Basically its no harm for your plasma if you dont have any static image on your screen for prolong time, be it channel logo or the vertical/horizontal bars.

Hey folks!

a lot of our watching at home involves the news channels (not me personally, I'd rather read online, but the others) and it seems a pity to pick a TV with great care, and then spend a few hours a day looking at a distorted (stretched 16:9) image!

If a lot of news channels will be played on the TV then totally avoid plasma sets, you will definitely get image burn from news channels doesnt matter if TV has crossed 200hrs or 500hrs, Get any 40" LCD/LED in your budget.

Last edited:
please advice which 1 TB external hard drive can be connected to E470.

i read on this forum that due to 0.5 A it won't support hard drives however, a frnd of mine told me that he saw 1TB hard drive full of HD films connected to E470 at a display centre.

Awaiting comments.

please advice which 1 TB external hard drive can be connected to E470.

i read on this forum that due to 0.5 A it won't support hard drives however, a frnd of mine told me that he saw 1TB hard drive full of HD films connected to E470 at a display centre.

Awaiting comments.

Maybe he saw the one with an external power supply. However my E470 failed to detect my WD Passport 1TB external hard drive

ok thanks tiger, I will try to find some way of connecting big memory with it
if some one knows the secret then plz share.

moreover, wld like to ask if we really need a blu ray player. As the tv itself plays blu ray mkv files well. i m just playing avatar mkv Full hd torrent 26 GB file downloaded from internet and it plays smooth.
is there any added advantage of a blu ray player.

ok thanks tiger, I will try to find some way of connecting big memory with it
if some one knows the secret then plz share.

moreover, wld like to ask if we really need a blu ray player. As the tv itself plays blu ray mkv files well. i m just playing avatar mkv Full hd torrent 26 GB file downloaded from internet and it plays smooth.
is there any added advantage of a blu ray player.
Not in your case, no. If you are not a disc collector like me, there is no need for a BDP. You can however invest in a good media player.

Hi Friends.does any owner of Samsung 43E470 experiencing image retention or burn-in problem.please reply if there are any other problems also in Samsung 43e470.

Hi Friends.does any owner of Samsung 43E470 experiencing image retention or burn-in problem.please reply if there are any other problems also in Samsung 43e470.

Image retention is possible on any plasma tv if proper care is not taken. Image retention is temporary while burn-in is permanent. Take extra care for first 200 hours and then enjoy better quality later. But even after 200 hours, you need to be aware of the causes of IR. I am enjoying my plasma, free of IR.

Last edited:

I own this TV mate and there's absolutely no problem like this in this TV. I haven't experienced IR issues too. The only problem is the lack of external HDD support.

Image retention is possible on any plasma tv if proper care is not taken. Image retention is temporary while burn-in is permanent. Take extra care for first 200 hours and then enjoy better quality later. But even after 200 hours, you need to be aware of the causes of IR. I am enjoying my plasma, free of IR.

What is the care to be taken for no issues with IR? please reply

Back