Samsung 2012 PS43E470 review - The budget performer.

What is the care to be taken for no issues with IR? please reply
There are hundreds of threads on that. Please search and you will be elated. :) To summarize:

1. First 200 hours:

- do not keep static images too long (more than 5 minutes)
- reduce contrast to 35% or below
- reduce brightness to 40%
- do not watch in letterbox mode for too long (one movie or 2 hours is OK)
- watch in zoom mode so that DTH and channel logos are pushed away
- do not watch the same channels all the time (flip change during ad's)
- enable basic anti-IR features in picture menu settings (such as white bars in 4:3 mode)
- run white scrolling bar for at least 10 minutes everyday
- use break-in slides
- reduce use of games and as a display for PC

2. After 200 hours:

- do not watch in letterbox mode for too long (4 hours is OK)
- enable basic anti-IR features in picture menu settings (such as white bars in 4:3 mode)
- run white scrolling bar from time to time
- do not keep static images too long (more than 20 minutes)

There are hundreds of threads on that. Please search and you will be elated. :)
2. After 200 hours:

--------

Shall we keep the white bar on or off ? I thought that white bar off is correct because, when white bar is on, all the unwanted pixels are on (or stay illuminated) damaging the pixels. Now you say otherwise. Please explain

Shall we keep the white bar on or off ? I thought that white bar off is correct because, when white bar is on, all the unwanted pixels are on (or stay illuminated) damaging the pixels. Now you say otherwise. Please explain

White bar should be on, I.e., no black bars. Only when phosphors are lit, they age.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

White bar should be on, I.e., no black bars. Only when phosphors are lit, they age.

I have doubt about this. When we are watching movies in 16:9 mode even then we will get black bars ? Is there any way to watch movies in such a way that it covers all the screen ? or most of the screen ?

If we zoom, does it affect quality ? I mean does it result in pixelation ? from distance of around 8.5 Feet ?

Sanket.

guys, can you please help me in buying Samsung 43e470?In my city every shop is having 43e400 and 43e490 but 43e470 wasn't available and in Panasonic only 3d model is there what to do?????? please help me

I have doubt about this. When we are watching movies in 16:9 mode even then we will get black bars ? Is there any way to watch movies in such a way that it covers all the screen ? or most of the screen ?

If we zoom, does it affect quality ? I mean does it result in pixelation ? from distance of around 8.5 Feet ?

Sanket.

2.35:1 movies will always be seen with black bars on top and bottom. That is because the frame is packed that way. However when a 16:9 tv's aspect ratio is changed to 4:3, the tv can fill the rest with white, grey, our black. To age phosphors, they must be lit and not otherwise.

Zooming will affect quality but just slightly. Nothing to be concerned about.

Anyway, I never followed any extensive protection techniques other than reducing contrast and not having static images on screen for long, e.g., pausing bdp for long. I have no IR issues.

Sanket.

I use zoom, not to conserve the panel but because some sd channels show movies in letterbox mode and they appear unnaturally stretched. Zooming does crop the picture from the sides but the picture its more watchable. The sd quality is still watchable in zoom mode. You should try this out in showroom.

2.35:1 movies will always be seen with black bars on top and bottom. That is because the frame is packed that way. However when a 16:9 tv's aspect ratio is changed to 4:3, the tv can fill the rest with white, grey, our black. To age phosphors, they must be lit and not otherwise.

thanks @just4kix...extending it further, Blu-ray sourced videos (it could be BRRips, etc) are 16:9 right ? they should occupy whole screen ? My observation is that on my FullHD BenQ monitor, i was watching BRRip but still it was not occupying full screen. I was watching in VLC player so I right clicked and made the aspect ration 16:9 then it was showing in almost full screen. A very small black bars on top and bottom, but very small compared to the ones before I changed settings thus. Thats why I asked if in TV there is some setting to change aspect ration or/and cropping...

Sanket

thanks @just4kix...extending it further, Blu-ray sourced videos (it could be BRRips, etc) are 16:9 right ? they should occupy whole screen ? My observation is that on my FullHD BenQ monitor, i was watching BRRip but still it was not occupying full screen. I was watching in VLC player so I right clicked and made the aspect ration 16:9 then it was showing in almost full screen. A very small black bars on top and bottom, but very small compared to the ones before I changed settings thus. Thats why I asked if in TV there is some setting to change aspect ration or/and cropping...

Sanket
In fact, not. Movies are made usually in 2.35:1 widescreen format and leave black bars on top and bottom on 16:9 widescreen (1.78:1) TVs.

What is the native aspect ratio of your BenQ monitor. I suspect it is 16:9. In that case, VLC in 'original aspect ratio' mode would show exactly as the movie is, i.e. 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 or 1.78:1, etc. Changing the AR in VLC to 16:9, may change the movie AR to something different such as crop and fill.

In the TV, the various zoom modes, do crop and fill. Here is a table:

Original source AR = 4:3
TV in 16:9 mode: Picture will be stretched to fill resulting in people/objects looking fatter
TV in JUST mode: TV stretches the left and right sides to fill but will try to maintain the original AR at the center
TV in 4:3 mode: Picture will be shown in original AR and black bars on left and right (anti-IR features can make the black bars as white or grey)
TV in 14:9 mode: Same as 4:3 but picture is zoomed and cropped. Left/right bars will be smaller
TV in various Zoom modes (1/2/3): Depending upon the source the picture is zoomed and cropped. In one of the modes, original AR will be seen.

Original source AR = 16:9 including all movie cinema formats which is pre-packed with letterbox bars
TV in 16:9 mode: Picture will be shown with original AR
TV in JUST mode: Picture will be shown with original AR
TV in 4:3 mode: Picture will be compressed. Objects/people will be lean and tall with black bars on left and right (anti-IR features can make the black bars as white or grey)
TV in 14:9 mode: Same as 4:3 but picture is zoomed and cropped. Left/right bars will be smaller
TV in various Zoom modes (1/2/3): Depending upon the source the picture is zoomed and cropped. In one of the modes, original AR will be seen.

In fact, not. Movies are made usually in 2.35:1 widescreen format and leave black bars on top and bottom on 16:9 widescreen (1.78:1) TVs.

What is the native aspect ratio of your BenQ monitor. I suspect it is 16:9. In that case, VLC in 'original aspect ratio' mode would show exactly as the movie is, i.e. 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 or 1.78:1, etc. Changing the AR in VLC to 16:9, may change the movie AR to something different such as crop and fill.

In the TV, the various zoom modes, do crop and fill. Here is a table:

Original source AR = 4:3
TV in 16:9 mode: Picture will be stretched to fill resulting in people/objects looking fatter
TV in JUST mode: TV stretches the left and right sides to fill but will try to maintain the original AR at the center
TV in 4:3 mode: Picture will be shown in original AR and black bars on left and right (anti-IR features can make the black bars as white or grey)

Original source AR = 16:9 including all movie cinema formats which is pre-packed with letterbox bars
TV in 16:9 mode: Picture will be shown with original AR
TV in JUST mode: Picture will be shown with original AR
TV in 4:3 mode: Picture will be compressed. Objects/people will be lean and tall with black bars on left and right (anti-IR features can make the black bars as white or grey)

guys, can you please help me in buying Samsung 43e470?In my city every shop is having 43e400 and 43e490 but 43e470 wasn't available and in Panasonic only 3d model is there what to do?????? please help me

Why not go with e490? The price is not that high and you will get 3D also.

Your location is not specified. In any case, local dealers will arrange the model if you booked with them. So order your TV where other sammys are available.

Hey guys just bought myself a plasma Samsung e490 @42k hyderabad, dunno whether I made a right choice.
I was wondering which dish tv to provider to go with for this plasma,
I'm on cable now,it's horrible to watch. Please advice thanks

Hey guys just bought myself a plasma Samsung e490 @42k hyderabad, dunno whether I made a right choice.
I was wondering which dish tv to provider to go with for this plasma,
I'm on cable now,it's horrible to watch. Please advice thanks

Is digital cable available in your area? Digital cable (that is encrypted and seen via STB) can be the cheapest option.

If not try Videocon D2H which is cheapest of the dth lot and has maximum hd channels. Tata sky is good but very expensive.

Sanket

IF you have any video either from blu ray or any other source what matters how it will look on your screen (either capture whole screen or leave black bars on top or bottom) is the VIDEO DIMENSIONS RATIO. Which can be seen by right clicking on video call, select properties and then details.

A wide screen tv/monitor has aspect ratio 16:9 = 1.78. Any video which has same dimension ratio will occupy whole screen e.g 1920X1080 or 1366X768. However, many videos are available with less of height e.g 1920X800, 1280X534 making the ratio 2+ means the frame height is shorter then 16:9 ratio which leaves black bars on top and bottom. Even on your VLC if you are switching to 16:9 and stretching the video vertically to occupy whole screen it will make the video looks wrong (everything will look thin).

If you actually want to enjoy your big screen i recommend watching 1920X1080 dimension videos although they are bigger in size 20-25 gb but that quality really worth it.

Last edited:
Hi guys ,I want to connect speakers to Samsung 43e470 as sound is not unto mark as i read in different threads.
Is this correct?
If yes,How to connect speakers while watching movie from usb as i has only digital audio output??
I have computer speakers which has only headphone jack.Its model is creative 2.1 sbs 370. Is there a way for speakers to give digital audio output instead of 3.5mm jack????
Also i planned to connect these speakers to hd stb as it has headphone jack.

But problem starts when watching brrips using usb as i don't have any bd player.
Also i looked for ht with digital audio output but they are very costly..

Also Is this TV good for gaming. I rarely play games on Wii that is only 5-6 hrs per week.So Is this suitable for me or have to shift to LCD/Led models. I am asking because in many threads i saw users mentioning IR and burn-in problems and not to go for plasma for gaming. But other users said that even display piece of different showrooms didnt have IR problems although they keep maximum setting and don't take care of burn-in period.

Last edited:
Hi guys ,I want to connect speakers to Samsung 43e470 as sound is not unto mark as i read in different threads.
Is this correct?
If yes,How to connect speakers while watching movie from usb as i has only digital audio output??
I have computer speakers which has only headphone jack.Its model is creative 2.1 sbs 370. Is there a way for speakers to give digital audio output instead of 3.5mm jack????
Also i planned to connect these speakers to hd stb as it has headphone jack.

But problem starts when watching brrips using usb as i don't have any bd player.
Also i looked for ht with digital audio output but they are very costly..

Also Is this TV good for gaming. I rarely play games on Wii that is only 5-6 hrs per week.So Is this suitable for me or have to shift to LCD/Led models. I am asking because in many threads i saw users mentioning IR and burn-in problems and not to go for plasma for gaming. But other users said that even display piece of different showrooms didnt have IR problems although they keep maximum setting and don't take care of burn-in period.

pls answer my question????????????

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back