Samsung 50" plasma - F series vs. H series?

dannyarcher

Hi all,

Have been following the forums from the last week, avidly. Posting for the first time. I have decided to buy a 50" plasma TV for home viewing and
have zeroed in on the following Samsung model:

Samsung 51F4900
However, I have also seen a Samsung 51H4900 that is being marketed as 'Joy Plus'.

No reviews in the internet exist regarding the H series. The Samsung website also doesn't list any thing in this regard. The only information that I've got from the showroom guys was that the F series is a 2013 model and the H series is a 2014 latest model. And, most of them have asked to go with the F series model as they've said that the previous year plasma panels are better, generally.

A comparison on the samsung website between the two TV models yielded two differences:
1) The H-series has an 'Energy Saving' mode apparently and takes only 118W as power consumption vs. the usual 216W of the F-series TV.
2) The H-series is DTV Ready. I don't know what this means!!

Power consumption doesn't bother me much. (I don't know if this a matter to be bothered over?!)

I would really like to know which series is better in terms of picture quality alone?

Please shed some light about this matter, if you know.

Thanks in advance.
P.S: Need to make a decision regarding the TV model very soon. Please help!

Glad you chose the Plasma... Go for the 51F4900, since it is previous year model, try & negotiate atleast a couple of thousands.....

Energy saving mode must be a picture preset where most of the settings would be kept to minimal.. Hence the low power consumption....

Alternatively consider the newly launched LG Plasma 2014 model 50PB6600
around the same price.. You should be able to negotiate a good deal as LG is new model. It is Full HD Display with smart TV functionality... Also it has 3 HDMI Inputs while the Samsung has only 2 HDMI inputs & HD Ready model..

LG 50PB6600: FULL HD SMART PLASMA Television | LG India

For plasma I would stick with Samsung over lg. Best would be to demo both the TVs side by side if possible, and then decide. Generally the new series improvises over the older series but sometimes the contrary is true.

Thank you very much for the replies, guys.

The F-series (51F4900) is available in only two showrooms and both of them had said that the one on the display is the last piece and I would be getting that! Is there any way of checking the hours of usage in the showroom?

Will consider the LG 50" plasma too. However, I don't remember seeing any 50" LG models here in Vijayawada, anywhere! Also, did a side by side comparison of the 43" plasma models of Samsung and LG. Samsung looked better to me!

Avoid demo piece for fear or IR and stay away from lg.
Get the H4900.
H5500 is better still. HD is ok for 43', but a 51 is better off with full hd. Will be only a couple of hundreds more in the emi.

F series is a 2013 name, while H-series is 2014. It is interesting that Samsung has not update the Full-HD F5500 to H5500. While the HD series has been upgraded. There is no H5500.

If you are OK with a 720 panel, dont go beyond 43 inches. You can take the 43H4900. No point spending 60k+ on 720p 51H4900 while you can get the 1080p 51F5500 at 8-10k more.

You're right, @deep_g There is no H5500!!

And we're pretty okay with having a 720p display. It would be mostly used for regular SD channels and the occasional HD channel. And, since (almost all) HD channel content is 720p, it should be okay.

Also, on the sidelines:
We have an enclosure for a TV and it is 29.5 inch in height. A 51" plasma when wall mounted would leave only 1.2" of space above and below. Would that be sufficient to dissipate any heat, given that a plasma TV generates a lot of heat?

^^^ It is better not to wall mount plasma if there is not free space around. The heat is not much - I have a F5500 - though it is there. It is no where close to what people projected. But I am keeping this on a table with lots of space around. The heat is definitely not "a lot".

Also, please check the 51" 720p display before buying. I did not like that at all. Though the 43" one was pretty okay. I somehow felt there is no point having a 51" TV w/o it being full HD, and the PQ I saw justified that. And the F5500 was only 10k more. I options were never 720p vs 1080p on 51". It was 43"-720p bs 51"-1080p.

Reg. the clearance space: I've just realized there has to be atleast 4" of vertical space at the top of the plasma TV (apparently, this is where most of the heat is emitted from!).
And, the only way to make a 51" fit in the enclosure that is present in our house is to wallmount it and that too with only 1" inch of vertical space on the top! So, the 51" TV is ruled out! :(

I can't switch to bigger inch LED TV something like a 46"/48".
After looking at the picture quality of a Plasma, can't go back to an LED!!

Now, considering the 43 F/H4900. I hope it is good enough for the living room!

Reg. the clearance space: I've just realized there has to be atleast 4" of vertical space at the top of the plasma TV (apparently, this is where most of the heat is emitted from!).
And, the only way to make a 51" fit in the enclosure that is present in our house is to wallmount it and that too with only 1" inch of vertical space on the top! So, the 51" TV is ruled out! :(

I can't switch to bigger inch LED TV something like a 46"/48".
After looking at the picture quality of a Plasma, can't go back to an LED!!

Now, considering the 43 F/H4900. I hope it is good enough for the living room!

well, bigger is always better :) more applicable in living rooms. I hope there is a way to be able to get the 51inch. Even though 43 is a good size, it still can't be compared to the experience on a 51inch tv!!!

I know! The 51" is super awesome!
Sadly, it doesn't fit the living room, without demolishing a few cupboards!

Decided to go with the Samsung 43H4900.
Reliance Digital quoted a price of 42k with 5% cashback on AXISbank cards.

Ppl,
1. I would not recommend a bigger screen 51H4900, as we do not have such a full hd content(new movies - www.tamilgun.com)/telecasting (Tamil channels atleast) available to render to such a large screen which may result in pixlate. Its been 7 years since HD tvs in the market, but no HD tamil/telugu channels have come up. So I have no hope in near future. Please corret me if I am wrong here.

2. 43H4900: Can anyone comment on 3D viewing on this tv, i.e do you feel headache or flickering while watching 3D movie.

Thanks
Sunil

Btw.. Will there be any loss of quality if we play full HD content

Thanks
Sunil

There are 4 SUN HD channels in D2H, Airtel etc. Were you not aware?

Playing a HD channel in non-HD TV is wastage - there is no loss of quality - just that you are utilizing the complete content.

<quote>There are 4 SUN HD channels in D2H, Airtel etc. Were you not aware?</quote>
We have 30+ tamil channels of our own interest but none have HD other than Sun. Sun channles dont have exciting programmes like others say Vijay, Puthu Yugam etc. But, you might be a mega serials watcher then..!! Jus Kidding.

Btw.. can any one comment on other question. I am serious on 3D but this model is active, hence fear of flicker, headache etc.

2. 43H4900: Can anyone comment on 3D viewing on this tv, i.e do you feel headache or flickering while watching 3D movie.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back