Samsung 50C550 or LG 50PK550

HTTV

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 50" FullHD plasma. Obviously I have 2 choices. LG PK550 or Samsung C550. There is a price difference of Rs. 7K with Samsung costlier. I'm wondering if its really worth it.
I need to decide fast so any quick guidance will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 50" FullHD plasma. Obviously I have 2 choices. LG PK550 or Samsung C550. There is a price difference of Rs. 7K with Samsung costlier. I'm wondering if its really worth it.

Thank you.

what is the quote you are getting for the two tvs?

I'm getting a quote of 63.5K for PK550 & 71K for C550. There is enough info about both the models on the web but no comparative article. May be I'm missing something but still to find a substantial reason to spend extra 7K for Samsung.

:) were you able to get demo in showrooms?

why don't you go through both the threads and post your impression based on specs and user-reviews.. put down queries about specific feature you could not understand or compare..

I'm getting a quote of 63.5K for PK550 & 71K for C550. There is enough info about both the models on the web but no comparative article. May be I'm missing something but still to find a substantial reason to spend extra 7K for Samsung.

I was having the same confusion two weeks ago, didnt get sufficient comparative info from here.I was getting samsung for 68900 vs lg @62k.
I personally liked the samsung design compared to the lg sheet of glass look.So you need to see yourself as these are very subjective.
The LG panel is more reflective than the samsung so when i saw it in shop the reflections were irritating,that was my tipping point, but many people who owns the lg and has light controlled rooms in this forum find that a non issue(again depends on the person).
I couldnt get a side by side comparison as no shops had both tv's so cant tell which one had better PQ.
IMHO bluray and 720p video looks amazing on both TV's:licklips: and after seeing those in 50" you wouldnt want to see SD:p

Samsung is worth the extra moolah. It can play all formats including MKV... blacks are better...overall PQ is better... I am not sure about their customer service so cant comment on that.

You should bargain to get it lower by a couple of ks

Check the owners thread of PK550. The indian version does not have some advanced settings which creates some issues.

For C550, check with sanjay. He has purchased one recent and seem to be happy. He is knowledgeble and can explain the good and bad stuff clearly now that he has owned it for more than a month.

C550's availability and samsung service are general problem areas you might want to know. No problems particularly with the TV as yet.

My personal advice is, go in for the Samsung C550, you will not regret it. Having owned the C550 for over two weeks now, the only slight issue I have is with some image retention. But I am sure the LG probably has bigger issues with this too. Also, the LG plasmas have way too much reflections. The Samsung C550 in the movie mode actually yields a quite spectacular picture, specially HD material. This includes both DTH HD and Blu-rays. The Samsung C550 also has a substantially better feature set and controls, not to mention a better layout of connectors than the LGs. Also, personally I would suggest that you give less importance to SD picture quality, since I am quite sure the changeover from SD to HD will now happen at avery fast pace. Quite simply because, once exposed to regular HD, it becomes very hard to watch SD any more.

I am surprised you missed this thread on the C550 --> Bought the Samsung 50" C550.

Last edited:
Thanks Sanjay,
I did read your other post but was not clear if C550 was better than LG in all the positive you had mentioned.
I figured out 3 +ves for C550..
1. DLNA/WiFi support (with an adapter) (Have you tried it?)
2. It plays a wider range of Video formats thru USB compare to LG which only seem to play DivX
3. Somewhere I read that C550 has a much better remote.

Problem is that C550 is not available anywhere in Hyderabad even for a demo & I don't want to buy a cheaper (inferior?) product that is currently available.
:cool:

You may get LG for a better price than 63.5K. I bought it last month for 62K and compareindia lists it for 59.9K now.

So I see a room for bargain.

If you need any specific queries about the LG TV, you can post it on lg-50pk550r-owners-discussion-thread. We will be more than happy to give you the real facts. We have also listed the features that Indian version misses when compared to European counterpart and we are in touch with LG on getting them to Indian version.

I am happy about the TV. I have posted its manual in some other thread. You may refer it to get all the details.

For some, reflection seems to be an issue. But its not bothering me and I have no special lighting arrangements in my home. That said I am not an expert here. So DONT count my statements for your decision making.
As Sanjay has compared both and he is an expert, his advice is more appropriate.

I mainly bought it for the VFM aspect. Otherwise it would definitely be a Panasonic for me :)
The 10K I saved on the TV will fetch me a HD streamer and an HD DTH ;)
The TV may not be the best out there but definitely is not the worst.

That said, I would HIGHLY recommend that you see the TV in a home environment. Comparing TVs in showroom is horrible and the photographs we post in the forums never do the justice. Personally seeing it in someone's home gives you an accurate idea on what you get. Just check in this forum whether you can find any owners of Samsung/LG from your place. That way you can decide on whether the extra quality Samsung offers(as mentioned by Sanjay) is worth the 10K(or whatever).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back