Samsung blu-ray 3d/dvd player bd - e5500

This player can not be made BD region free. Only DVD region free.

So, there is no point in complaining about it. As kix said more than 80% BDs are region free. So, there won't be any problem.

I think in the future all the BDs will be region free.

What do you think?

Cannot say whether all BDs in future will become region free. It is a studio and local manufacturing decision. For example, the LOTR trilogy BD is region free in US (and India) but region locked in Europe.

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me.
I bought this dvd for xmas.
It plays blu-ray dvds perfectly. However, if I try to play an ordinary dvd the screen is blank but I can hear the sound?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

I did also the steps to unzone my Samsung Ed-5500 region 4 player and i manage to change the number 4 to number 9. Still It won t play my european dvds...
Any suggestions on what I could do?
Thanks for your help.

i have the same bluray player.
owning it for past 2 months.
serves all the basic purposes, but as you can see the specs it only decodes the daolby standards(DD, DDplus, DDtruehd) but doesnt decode the DTS standards, rather it provides you with bitstreaming output for the DTS.
but that doesnt matter much as my receiver decodes DTS for me.
now the problem i faced was when i played this file:
File size : 10.0 GiB
Duration : 2h 10mn
Overall bit rate : 11.0 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-02-22 21:41:31
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.9.0 ('On The Loose') built on Dec 9 2012 15:37:01
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 9 500 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.258
Stream size : 8.46 GiB (84%)
Title : Iron.Man.3.2013

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.38 GiB (14%)
Title : DTS-CORE 1536K ENG
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

now as you can see its a heavy file. With really high video and sound bit rates.
the problem is whenever i seek this movie forward and reverse or fast forwarding/reversing or use the jump tool
the movie freezes, sometimes the play resumes after being unresponsive for some time or the movie is interrupted and it exits to the main menu of the player. And this only happens when i fast forward/reverse the movie.
rest everything works fully fine!
IF ANYBODY IS FACING THE SAME PROBLEM. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU'VE FOUND ANY SOLUTION TO IT?

i have the same bluray player.
owning it for past 2 months.
serves all the basic purposes, but as you can see the specs it only decodes the daolby standards(DD, DDplus, DDtruehd) but doesnt decode the DTS standards, rather it provides you with bitstreaming output for the DTS.
but that doesnt matter much as my receiver decodes DTS for me.
now the problem i faced was when i played this file:
File size : 10.0 GiB
Overall bit rate : 11.0 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-02-22 21:41:31
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.9.0 ('On The Loose') built on Dec 9 2012 15:37:01
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 9 500 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.258
Stream size : 8.46 GiB (84%)
Title : Iron.Man.3.2013

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.38 GiB (14%)
Title : DTS-CORE 1536K ENG
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

now as you can see its a heavy file. With really high video and sound bit rates.
the problem is whenever i seek this movie forward and reverse or fast forwarding/reversing or use the jump tool
the movie freezes, sometimes the play resumes after being unresponsive for some time or the movie is interrupted and it exits to the main menu of the player. And this only happens when i fast forward/reverse the movie.
rest everything works fully fine!
IF ANYBODY IS FACING THE SAME PROBLEM. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU'VE FOUND ANY SOLUTION TO IT?

I get the same problem even when I play 1.5gb brrip.. Looks like the stream size is not the issue.. Its basically a shitty player for usb.. Does your tv have usb option? Why don't u try playing it there.. It has a time search option..

I get the same problem even when I play 1.5gb brrip.. Looks like the stream size is not the issue.. Its basically a shitty player for usb.. Does your tv have usb option? Why don't u try playing it there.. It has a time search option..

I am also having the same player and when playing through the USB, until now I don't have any problems with playing upto 5 GB files. When forward/rewind, the player takes little time to play. That's all. It never freezes for me. So, I don't know what may be the problem with other FM's player.

I am also having the same player and when playing through the USB, until now I don't have any problems with playing upto 5 GB files. When forward/rewind, the player takes little time to play. That's all. It never freezes for me. So, I don't know what may be the problem with other FM's player.
I see quite a few ppl with that issue.. I don't think it's an isolated problem... But playing the file from the tvs usb was perfect.. And it was better and easier to navigate with the smart remote..

Hello, i got the same bluray player with samsung 3d smart TV
now i hav a home theatre setup as follows
panasonic AR 100
denon AVR x1000
paradigm ct 100.
so when i try to connect the bluray palyer to the receiver and try playing a DVD it doesnt show the video, although audio is playing in background.
if i plugin pendrive or HDD it doent even read it.
although the player works fine if i connect it to TV
can anyone tell me whats the problem, is it with the bluray player or receiver?

Hello, i got the same bluray player with samsung 3d smart TV
now i hav a home theatre setup as follows
panasonic AR 100
denon AVR x1000
paradigm ct 100.
so when i try to connect the bluray palyer to the receiver and try playing a DVD it doesnt show the video, although audio is playing in background.
if i plugin pendrive or HDD it doent even read it.
although the player works fine if i connect it to TV
can anyone tell me whats the problem, is it with the bluray player or receiver?

I'm assuming you have connected the tv and the avr with a bad hdmi or not chosen the right hdmi in the avr for the output... Because when the sound comes properly the connection out of the avr is the problem.. Just try switching cables..

I've been using this player for quite some time now and I'm happy to report that I've not come across any problem other than what I mentioned as cons in my post in this thread some time back. It played all the file formats I've tried so far. I've played many movies of various sizes through USB without any problem. Never noticed the freezing problem that some of the FMs have come across. I could make it region free and play a DVD bought from the US as well.

I've been using this player for quite some time now and I'm happy to report that I've not come across any problem other than what I mentioned as cons in my post in this thread some time back. It played all the file formats I've tried so far. I've played many movies of various sizes through USB without any problem. Never noticed the freezing problem that some of the FMs have come across. I could make it region free and play a DVD bought from the US as well.

Super.. How did u make it region free dude... Thanks in advance..

Super.. How did u make it region free dude... Thanks in advance..

It's very simple. I just followed steps mentioned at: Samsung BD-E5500 region code - VideoHelp.com

Couple of things to note:
  1. Use "Return" key on the remote instead of "Stop" key.
  2. Use the code for region 5 for India (the main post describes the procedure using code for region 4 however it lists codes for other regions as well)

It's very simple. I just followed steps mentioned at: Samsung BD-E5500 region code - VideoHelp.com

2. Use the code for region 5 for India (the main post describes the procedure using code for region 4 however it lists codes for other regions as well)

Thanks man.. Will do it in the morning...

thanks gautam
i dont think there might be a problem with hdmi cable as you say, coz i am watching movies through same cable by connecting my laptop to AVR and AVR to projector.
So i am not sure where's the problem arising.
scene 1
i connect [BDP] to[ TV] it works fine even reads usb and HDD
scene 2
i connect[ tata sky or laptop] to [AVR] to[ Projector] it works fine
scene 3
i connect [bdp] to [avr] to [projector] it DOESN'T!
any help guys?

I am not able to play some DVDs bought from US in BDP F5100.
I will also try to do the region hack.
Thanks for sharing.

thanks gautam
i dont think there might be a problem with hdmi cable as you say, coz i am watching movies through same cable by connecting my laptop to AVR and AVR to projector.
scene 1
scene 2
scene 3
any help guys?

How about the hdmi port on the avr.. Assuming you connected the BDP and the Tatasky in different hdmi ports.. Try changing that?

thanks gautam
scene 1
scene 2
scene 3
any help guys?

In scene 1, I assume that you are connecting BDP to TV via HDMI. In scene 3, it is not working. Does it work if you connect the BDP directly to the projector? Though I am not 100% certain, I have reason to believe that it is an HDMI/HDCP issue. The firmware on the projector may not be complaint with the latest HDCP standard. You can give the following a try --- in your player settings, set the output video resolution to 1080i and check.

I thought it will be difficult, but it was so easy to make it region free with the given code !
Now my BDP 5100 is playing US DVDs.

I am not able to play some DVDs bought from US in BDP F5100.
I will also try to do the region hack.
Thanks for sharing.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back