Samsung Galaxy S Android Phone - Is Eclair 2.1 upgradeable to Froyo 2.2

wingsoffires

Hi ,
I am about to buy the new Samsung Galaxy S. The phone is equipped with Android Eclair 2.1 operating system. I have also heard that in a few days from now Samsung will start selling the phone with upgraded Froyo 2.2. I am not sure of this but guessing that Eclair can be later upgraded to Froyo.
Can someone confirm this to me ?
I have read elsewhere that Froyo version of Android makes the phones much more faster than in the Eclair version. I just want to make sure that if I buy the phone today can my phone be upgraded to the new Froyo version when it is launched. If the upgrade can be done it makes sense to buy the phone write now otherwise it would obviously be better to wait for the upgraded version which would be launched maybe in late September ?

Also that I am getting the phone for Rs 28000. Is this a good price or it can be negotiated further ?

27.5k with Credit card and 27.2 is with cash, is the lowest quote I found till now. This is in Bangalore.
I've read in another forum about someone mentioning 24.5k in New Delhi, which I really highly doubt considering the MRP and it;s a relatively new phone. So I feel around 27k would be a good price to pay for this phone.

Also there is a news about Froyo will be available for these phones by September. Keeping my fingers crossed. Froyo will speed up the phones as with Froyo it can utilize the whole 512mb RAM (again, I've not done any research on this claim, so can't say for sure).

Are you asking it would be technically possible? The answer is yes. There are a hundred forums that would help you do it.
If you are asking they would provide an OTA update? That I think no one can tell at this point. I assume they should.
The problem with updating yourself is that you might void the warranty. The price seems good. Did you also see the xperia x10? I think another member here had purchased it.

Are you asking it would be technically possible? The answer is yes. There are a hundred forums that would help you do it.
If you are asking they would provide an OTA update? That I think no one can tell at this point. I assume they should.
The problem with updating yourself is that you might void the warranty. The price seems good. Did you also see the xperia x10? I think another member here had purchased it.

Well this is the confusing part. I need to buy the phone urgently and as per Samsung's statement that Galaxy S will be available with Froyo by the end of September is making me wonder whether I should wait. I know that calling the customer care about this will be useless. And now you are making me even more nervous about the warranty voiding part. I thought that when Samsung announced that the upgrade will be available later means that it would be applicable to all phones i.e the new ones they would sell which would be factory upgraded and the old ones which can be upgraded through some official Android applications upgrade. I dont want to keep the phone forever running on the older version. Write now not sure what to do.

As for the xperia X10, this phone is nothing compared to Samsung. I have compared both the phones in detail , a lot of things are lacking in the Xperia so dont want to go for it. The screen resolution is the big turnoff and it has the even more ancient operating system Android 1.6 so no go for xperia.

Last edited:
They do have an OTA update for xperia.
I use an android phone myself got from US. Rooted it and updated it to 2.1. As of today there is no 2.2 update officially for my phone. Though people have ported it from other phones and are working to get it as bug free as possible.
If samsung say that upgrade would be available later, it would mean that it should be official only. Best thing would be to shoot a mail to samsung people and see what they have to say.

Even I am on a lookout for a phone in the same category ... my choice is HTC Desire or Galaxy S ....... Galaxy S though launched in India, the official 2.2 upgrade is nowhere to be seen .......on the other hand Desire for which 2.2 is officially released, the phone itself is still to be out in Indian market .........2.2 for Galaxy is stated to be released in Sep while Desire is supposed to be released around 2nd week of AUG which is just starting ........

Personaly I am in for Desire..... far better Phone in terms of UI, Looks and Browsing speed ... Galaxy is better in Display Quality, camera and 720p video but gives a lag in the inter phase navigation....... , I'd wait for Desire till atleast AUG end, else would go for Galaxy S

Checkout this forum for a good discussion between the two .....

Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire - Android Forums

Even I am on a lookout for a phone in the same category ... my choice is HTC Desire or Galaxy S ....... Galaxy S though launched in India, the official 2.2 upgrade is nowhere to be seen .......on the other hand Desire for which 2.2 is officially released, the phone itself is still to be out in Indian market .........2.2 for Galaxy is stated to be released in Sep while Desire is supposed to be released around 2nd week of AUG which is just starting ........

Personaly I am in for Desire..... far better Phone in terms of UI, Looks and Browsing speed ... Galaxy is better in Display Quality, camera and 720p video but gives a lag in the inter phase navigation....... , I'd wait for Desire till atleast AUG end, else would go for Galaxy S

Checkout this forum for a good discussion between the two .....

Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire - Android Forums

OOPS :: How did this happen multiple post ... and you cant delete one .... MODS plz deleter one post .. Apologies ...

I've waited and waited for Desire(supposed to be launched by Aug 1st week) and then read and read about Galaxy S and then went for Galaxy S. What I found is that there is not much of difference between these two. I'm not sure about the lag part as I compared Galaxy S to my friend's Nexus One( very very similar to desire but it;s running on Froyo) and there is no visible difference in performance that I could see. Also once Froyo comes Galaxy S won't probably have any of these minuscale problems if it have one for arguments sake. For me the deal maker was the 4 inch super amoled screen and I think there is nothing at this moment available in India that can beat this screen.
About Froyo upgrade of Samsung, there was an official announcement sometimes ago for European market and I believe in that India will also get the upgrade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
One problem I hate about these smartphones is the battery life and I need to keep it on charging almost everyday. One night I forgot to charge and in the morning it ran out of battery. I really hate when this happens.

EDIT: Most of the negative comments made by people on the online forums against Samsung are basically from people who have used older gen Samsung smartphones where Touchwiz had problems. Most of them actually haven't used Galaxy S but the other Samsung phones. But this Galaxy S Touchwiz is a different beast altogether. So I would say try it yourself first and if you feel it's still have problem then go for Desire.

Last edited:
@Konfused Dont compare galaxy with Nexus ..... There is a good difference in navigation between Nexus and Desire ....... See I am ok with Galaxy, but per my priorities Desire seems to fit better, like the 4" screen, vs 3.7" .. I am ok with 3.7. plus S-AMOLED, well AFA I have compared (you tube videos) not a drastic difference, yes 720p is an added bonus, plus dedicated GPU which again is no big deal for me as I wont play Gears of War on phone :)
For me Super Sleek, fully customizable and super smooth UI is the main criteria, plus butter smooth web experience and full integration between contacts, phone book and widgets ....... all this again by you tube comparison is better in Desire through a very well thought and laid out HTC sense inter-phase......

Yes weather the phone will be released in India any sooner than AUG end is questionable and if it did'nt I would have no choice else to got for Galaxy ....

Regards
Sammy

PS :: BTW it been told to me that, you can get the phone unofficially in Delhi (with Bill and warranty as well) ... Any delhite wanna put light on this .......

^^ Which phone Desire or Galaxy, if desire even I am pretty desperate, but I am afraid to opt for the non offical route ...... and official launch is no where to be seen ..... its been told by HTC India as Aug 2nd week .... lets see....

For me Super Sleek, fully customizable and super smooth UI is the main criteria, plus butter smooth web experience and full integration between contacts, phone book and widgets
Hmmm seems like you'ld love the iPhone more. I still think that iPhone UI is much more sleeker then the current Android UI's. But I guess with the constant upgrades pouring in for Android, it'll be a tie soon.

BTW, anyone is thinking about DroidX. Seems to be an awesome phone too. Only thing I don't like is the Motorola badge.

Hmmm seems like you'ld love the iPhone more. I still think that iPhone UI is much more sleeker then the current Android UI's. But I guess with the constant upgrades pouring in for Android, it'll be a tie soon.

BTW, anyone is thinking about DroidX. Seems to be an awesome phone too. Only thing I don't like is the Motorola badge.

I have iPod touch II nd gen jailbroken, and I dont think ipod touch/phone UI is at all customizable or phonebook integrated with social widgets ........ Sleek, fast and smooth yea maybe but customization is in no comparision with desire (which is fast and smooth as well) ....

@ sam9s's - I was talking about desire only.
And I agree with you as far as customizing the UI is concerned, nothing can beat HTC sense.

Hello,

I bought SGS some 2 weeks back.

I was also in Desire's side but didnt want to wait but let me tell you SGS Screen will blow you away!!!! My colleagues who have iPhone were awestruck by screens display. Under direct sunlight also it is very clear.

Well about UI - Desire's biggest Selling proposition. I started using LauncerPro - It is very sleak and extremely good looking on Galaxy. Finally i paid 3$ on the Plus version of it and should say it's as if i dnt miss HTC!

SGS does have Lag issues sometimes but only when opening apps not while using them, Its extremely fast when using some Apps.

Well anyway just consider SGS uses only 256Mb ram for its 512 as of now - After FROYO it will use 512 - And OS will be slicker too so no issues.

Well just my views as i was also fully desire fan but SGS is so light weight and sleek slimmer than my old W595 - Which is great!

Let me know if i can give any more info

Hello,

I bought SGS some 2 weeks back.

I was also in Desire's side but didnt want to wait but let me tell you SGS Screen will blow you away!!!! My colleagues who have iPhone were awestruck by screens display. Under direct sunlight also it is very clear.

Well about UI - Desire's biggest Selling proposition. I started using LauncerPro - It is very sleak and extremely good looking on Galaxy. Finally i paid 3$ on the Plus version of it and should say it's as if i dnt miss HTC!

SGS does have Lag issues sometimes but only when opening apps not while using them, Its extremely fast when using some Apps.

Well anyway just consider SGS uses only 256Mb ram for its 512 as of now - After FROYO it will use 512 - And OS will be slicker too so no issues.

Well just my views as i was also fully desire fan but SGS is so light weight and sleek slimmer than my old W595 - Which is great!

Let me know if i can give any more info

Galaxy S is available in Reliance Digital at 29,380 and a 10% cash back, effectively 26.5K which is a very good price in my view. For me though the deal breaker is the lack of a flash in the phone.

I would wait for the droid X or the Iphone 4 and then maybe buy this or Droid X or XT720, depending on how the prices pan out. I do not expect Iphone 4 to be reasonaly priced (< 30K i.e.) for it to be in consideration.

I would wait for the droid X or the Iphone 4 and then maybe buy this or Droid X or XT720, depending on how the prices pan out. I do not expect Iphone 4 to be reasonaly priced (< 30K i.e.) for it to be in consideration.

iPhone 4 < 30K in any dream, infact I would not be surprised if its like 45..lol ....
3GS is still at 30 ...... u tell me ... lol

Back