Samsung Plasma 51F5500 Owners Thread /Reviews/Discussions!!

Hey Im selling my 2.5 yr old Samsung 51f5500 in case anyone is interested they can PM me. Working perfectly but selling coz I just bought an OLED :)

Back after a long time.. My plasma 51F5500 finally go bust.. few months back few vertical lines started appearing .. yesterday, small part of the bazel got heated up started giving foul (burnt) smell and it started getting deformation (closer to the area where all the ports are located). I switched it off. Today the technician visited and confirmed that now it is not even working and he had never seen such a case in last 12 years on a plasma.. He will seek solution from company.. till then all fingers crossed.. seems time for a new OLED..

Request you guys to suggest a good OLED or LED which is good for movie viewing .. looking for max 55 inch.. budget max-1.5

Last edited:
Just to inform, that after lots of inspection Samsung came into the conclusion that the TV is un-serviceable and hence they are offering me 50% of the invoice value as compensation by cheque.

How many years old TV ? TV is still in warranty ?
It is 4.5 years old (July 2013).

No TV was out of warranty. But as informed by Samsung, as per local regulation, they should be providing after sales support and spares for 7 years from purchase date.

Considering that this model is not available anymore and Samy has stopped Plasmas. This TV can't be serviced. And hence as per them, I am eligible for 50% compensation on the invoice value. Only problem is that you need to keep the original invoice to get this benefit, which very few keeps post warranty period.

It is 4.5 years old (July 2013).

No TV was out of warranty. But as informed by Samsung, as per local regulation, they should be providing after sales support and spares for 7 years from purchase date.

Considering that this model is not available anymore and Samy has stopped Plasmas. This TV can't be serviced. And hence as per them, I am eligible for 50% compensation on the invoice value. Only problem is that you need to keep the original invoice to get this benefit, which very few keeps post warranty period.

I feel the option provided by Samsung is good since they are offering 50%.

I feel the option provided by Samsung is good since they are offering 50%.
I am happy.. So now looking for a good UHD TV, that is 49-55", affordable and priced around 1 lacs. 49/55 X8200E is an option..

Finally shifted LG OLED B7.. gem of a TV

I bought this tv in 2014.Yesterday while I was watching it,there was a sound and the video went blank..Samsung technician inspected it and reported that the display panel is gone and it will cost 29000 ..From some of the previous posts here,I came to know that if the spare part is not available we can get compensation..but unless I say yes to repair it they are not even providing the info whether the spare part is available or not..Anyone faced the same problem?pls share your experience

I bought this tv in 2014.Yesterday while I was watching it,there was a sound and the video went blank..Samsung technician inspected it and reported that the display panel is gone and it will cost 29000 ..From some of the previous posts here,I came to know that if the spare part is not available we can get compensation..but unless I say yes to repair it they are not even providing the info whether the spare part is available or not..Anyone faced the same problem?pls share your experience
This was my all time favorite TV (purchased it in 2013). Unfortunately 2 years back, I faced the exact same problem as reported by you. Technician told the panel needs to be replaced and since they don't have it in stock, Samsung offered to take back the TV for a compensation. I was heartbroken but had no other options and agreed to their offer. If I remember correctly I got a little more than 30% of the invoice amount. It came as a cheque 2-3 weeks after surrendering the TV.

This was my all time favorite TV (purchased it in 2013). Unfortunately 2 years back, I faced the exact same problem as reported by you. Technician told the panel needs to be replaced and since they don't have it in stock, Samsung offered to take back the TV for a compensation. I was heartbroken but had no other options and agreed to their offer. If I remember correctly I got a little more than 30% of the invoice amount. It came as a cheque 2-3 weeks after surrendering the TV.
Thanks so much for the reply..Did they asked you any advance amount for the spare part before confirming they don’t have it in stock..After the technician visit,I asked them whether the spare part is available with them but they are not giving any info..only if I agree to get it repaired,they will reveal it..

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply..Did they asked you any advance amount for the spare part before confirming they don’t have it in stock..After the technician visit,I asked them whether the spare part is available with them but they are not giving any info..only if I agree to get it repaired,they will reveal it..
Nope...they just checked their inventory and confirmed it is not in stock and they may never get it in stock since they were no longer into plasma business.

My beloved plasma 51f5500 which I have been using with lot of care for the last 7 years ( One of the early purchaser in 2013) is not turning on today...The standby power light is blinking ( not continous but 2 blinks 4 times and after sometime it repeats). I have unplugged from the power socket and reconnected to another socket. But it is the same issue of standby power blinking. Internet search is poiting towards some power board issue. What could be the problem? Samsung customer care number is not working now may be due to lockdown. Is there any chance of repairing this issue as it was working without any glitch so far and it is in excellent condition as well.

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing safe and healthy during these trying times. Haven't seen any more posts here, so thought of posting my experience with this TV and the issue I have been seeing of late. Btw, I own a top of the line LG OLED as well as the F5500 and I must say there are times I have found the plasma's picture quality to be better than the OLED. It could be just me but I prefer the subtle colors and pleasing overall picture quality to the in-your-face pop that TVs now are expected to produce.

With that said, about a year or so ago, a single line (1 px width) appeared 2 inches from the right side of the plasma. The lines progressively increased where I now see a cluster of similar lines on the TV. Since it is on the side and the TV seems to be working fine overall, I continue to use it like that. I wanted to ask if any other fellow owners of this TV or any other plasma have experienced this? If so, have you tried correcting it or getting it corrected? I have read several forums that talk about the ribbon cables on the panel coming loose and/or due to dust while several others talk of a failed Tcon board or a panel. Have you guys experienced this?

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing safe and healthy during these trying times. Haven't seen any more posts here, so thought of posting my experience with this TV and the issue I have been seeing of late. Btw, I own a top of the line LG OLED as well as the F5500 and I must say there are times I have found the plasma's picture quality to be better than the OLED. It could be just me but I prefer the subtle colors and pleasing overall picture quality to the in-your-face pop that TVs now are expected to produce.

With that said, about a year or so ago, a single line (1 px width) appeared 2 inches from the right side of the plasma. The lines progressively increased where I now see a cluster of similar lines on the TV. Since it is on the side and the TV seems to be working fine overall, I continue to use it like that. I wanted to ask if any other fellow owners of this TV or any other plasma have experienced this? If so, have you tried correcting it or getting it corrected? I have read several forums that talk about the ribbon cables on the panel coming loose and/or due to dust while several others talk of a failed Tcon board or a panel. Have you guys experienced this?
I have the same problem in my Samsung E series plasma, it's a 51inch. The vertical lines started appearing couple of months back and the number gradually increases, it got 4 lines now about 10inch from the right side.
As you rightly mentioned this can happen due to contact issues with the ribbon cables reason being dust and temperature. Now the bad news for you is that Samsung has removable ribbon cables for horizontal lines only, vertical ones are soldered to the panel which limits the chances of cleaning it. I opened it and tried to fix mine without any luck, you may contact the service center guys in case they can be of any help. Please update if you manage to fix it, i hate to let go the Plasma for OLEDs.

I have found the plasma's picture quality to be better than the OLED. It could be just me but I prefer the subtle colors and pleasing overall picture quality to the in-your-face pop that TVs now are expected to produce.

apologies for interjecting but couldnt help commenting on this with a recent experience of mine where i compared an LG IPS monitor with a samsung VA monitor (both @ >100hz refresh-rates) side-by-side -- the colours of the IPS were definitely 'shining in-your-face' & popping out kind as compared to the latter panel, but something about the VA panel's colours (even if they werent as 'loud' & bright) was, soothing to the eyes. calming to look at. this was/is my first IPS panel ever, and now i dont intend to keep it.

hope your TV's issue gets resolved (btw on my panasonic plasma TV too i have been such group of lines/pixels on one corner on & off since sometime...old TV, has had a dedicated thread for it here).

For those who have had lines or pixel problems in their Plasma, those TVs can be used for CCTV footage. My Samsung 48" TV had such a horizontal line for DTH and OTT but as a CCTV does not have any blemish. Wonder why and also wish you guys to try using them as CCTV display units and see if the problem persists. But plasma has pixel level issues and therefore it may not work in your case.

For those who have had lines or pixel problems in their Plasma, those TVs can be used for CCTV footage. My Samsung 48" TV had such a horizontal line for DTH and OTT but as a CCTV does not have any blemish. Wonder why and also wish you guys to try using them as CCTV display units and see if the problem persists. But plasma has pixel level issues and therefore it may not work in your case.
Running a plasma for CCTV is not justifiable because of the power it uses.

My beloved plasma 51f5500 which I have been using with lot of care for the last 7 years ( One of the early purchaser in 2013) is not turning on today...The standby power light is blinking ( not continous but 2 blinks 4 times and after sometime it repeats). I have unplugged from the power socket and reconnected to another socket. But it is the same issue of standby power blinking. Internet search is poiting towards some power board issue. What could be the problem? Samsung customer care number is not working now may be due to lockdown. Is there any chance of repairing this issue as it was working without any glitch so far and it is in excellent condition as well.
Oops. Time for me to worry, as mine has also completed 7 years. Still running fine though.
I've used it exclusively for watching BDs or rips for the first 5 odd years and also started watching OTT platforms since 2019.
This TV has never ever been used for watching cable TV, so burn in was never on the cards.
Lets see how long it lasts .............

I have the same problem in my Samsung E series plasma, it's a 51inch. The vertical lines started appearing couple of months back and the number gradually increases, it got 4 lines now about 10inch from the right side.
As you rightly mentioned this can happen due to contact issues with the ribbon cables reason being dust and temperature. Now the bad news for you is that Samsung has removable ribbon cables for horizontal lines only, vertical ones are soldered to the panel which limits the chances of cleaning it. I opened it and tried to fix mine without any luck, you may contact the service center guys in case they can be of any help. Please update if you manage to fix it, i hate to let go the Plasma for OLEDs.
Thank you, Lionx, for your observations. So it does look like there's no luck with cleaning. I would still do a DIY clean and dab the connectors with some cleaning spirit before resorting to the service guys. Somehow, I just don't trust any of the service guys especially for electronics for the risk of them doing something worse that it actually is. I also own a Philips Matchline TV which, although dated, used to be one of the best CRT TVs around. A couple of years ago, it just wouldn't turn on and when I contacted the Philips service centre, I was told that the tube was "gone" and that they have to order a new one from Singapore for 25k etc. When I contacted Philips from another area, they happily picked up the TV, analyzed the issue, and said that a certain part that was easily replaceable was faulty and they could replace it for about 5K. While they did fix the TV, they messed up the component RGB connectors in the back and added scuffs and scratches to a perfectly beautiful looking TV. Now the TV still sits on a rack in one of my bedrooms and is used for occasional cable watching but every time I see the damage caused by these guys, it gives me a heartburn. The only consolation is, it works. So anyway, let me try cleaning the cables myself (fingers crossed) and see what happens. Just praying it works. Otherwise, I'll just settle for watching the TV as is as there's just one (green) line that is noticeable to the eye and the other lines are visible only when there is white or other bright backgrounds.

Oops. Time for me to worry, as mine has also completed 7 years. Still running fine though.
I've used it exclusively for watching BDs or rips for the first 5 odd years and also started watching OTT platforms since 2019.
This TV has never ever been used for watching cable TV, so burn in was never on the cards.
Lets see how long it lasts .............
Our good wishes are with you, friend. Wishing you many more years of watching on this baby!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back