Samsung Plasma 51F5500 Owners Thread /Reviews/Discussions!!

Not a mistake, but just precautions. I too have been running at 300 hr plus, but with low cell light and contrast and brightness. It becomes a habit after some time to view only at low settings. On rare movie viewing I nave sliders to contrast at 50-70. Have patience and keep room ambient lights towards low for best viewing experience.

IR is temporary and unless you see the tv in one pure color like white or sky blue, you cannot even see the effect. It is miniscule! I have never regretted my decision but in fact pat my own back for having made the soundest decision. Last month, a friend had arrived from USA. He was at my home for dinner. While watching TV, he remarked that the picture was incredible; better than his own tv. Then I told him that it was plasma. He went into the standard phrases like "old tech", "high power consumption", etc. All I said to him was that it was he who said that the picture on my tv was incredible.

Just died yesterday.. all of a sudden.. It was just 1.5 years old.. Service engineer came and gave the bad news.. some Y circuit (part of the panel) went up in smoke.. It is not available separately, but he will try if some damaged panel has the parts.. else need to go for a new panel (to cost around 30k)... my bad luck:(:confused::eek:
Any update on your set? I have been tough time getting my sound issue addressed by Samsung support. Almost 2 months since I reported to them, 10/15 visits by their outsourced service provider HCL

Got a quote of Rs. 4600 for a pair of 3D glasses from Samsung. This is quite exorbitant. Is there a cheaper option?

Hey guys, im replacing my old 2009 panasonic 42s10d plasma. While it still gives me a solid picture performance I feel like upgrading.
Im used to plasma PQ and none of the LED tv's ive demoed are quite as satisfying in the Picture Quality department.
Im strongly considering getting the Samsung f5500 plasma. Would you guys recommend it? Over some strong leds like say the samsung h7000?
I believe the only one drawback in this tv is the tendency to be quite reflective in a well lit room. The room i will be using always has the curtains drawn and in the night has ambient lighting
Also how is the 3d performance on the tv ?

I would definitely recommend this at ~70k budget point. As you correctly mentioned, the only drawback is mirror-like reflection, if you have a window/light facing the TV, you should not buy it, it would make dark scenes partially invisible, taking away the key positive of a plasma set. But then again, at 70k, all plasmas are reflective, and would still beat any LED in same range.

Only concern is would you still get one? AFAIK, there was very limited stock of this TV in showrooms, you might still get one, but might need significant effort.

Hey guys, im replacing my old 2009 panasonic 42s10d plasma. While it still gives me a solid picture performance I feel like upgrading.
Im used to plasma PQ and none of the LED tv's ive demoed are quite as satisfying in the Picture Quality department.
Im strongly considering getting the Samsung f5500 plasma. Would you guys recommend it? Over some strong leds like say the samsung h7000?
I believe the only one drawback in this tv is the tendency to be quite reflective in a well lit room. The room i will be using always has the curtains drawn and in the night has ambient lighting
Also how is the 3d performance on the tv ?

Got a Yamaha YHT 299 from Reliance Digital. Wanted your input regarding connections.

Currently, everything's connected to the AVR and switching from Tatasky to BD Player happens on it. Specifically, this is the combination on AVR:
-HDMI1 on AVR connected to BD\DVD Player
-HDMI2 on AVR connected to Tatasky STB
-HDMI-Out on AVR connected to HDMI IN2 (ARC) on TV.
-That's it! No Optical. ARC is setup as per the Yamaha AVR Owner Manual (page 18).
With this arrangement, any switching of Tatasky to BlueRay disc, needs to happen on the AVR.

My question is, what happens if Tatasky STB and BD\DVD Player are connected to TV instead of AVR (that'll allow changing source on TV as we'd been accustomed to). Inputs?

Got a 51F5500 from Sargam @66K ... no freebies...
There were none on display anywhere in West Delhi.. but had experienced it before at a friend's place, so took the plunge...

Very happy so far...waiting for TS HD to get installed...

I would definitely recommend this at ~70k budget point. As you correctly mentioned, the only drawback is mirror-like reflection, if you have a window/light facing the TV, you should not buy it, it would make dark scenes partially invisible, taking away the key positive of a plasma set. But then again, at 70k, all plasmas are reflective, and would still beat any LED in same range.

Only concern is would you still get one? AFAIK, there was very limited stock of this TV in showrooms, you might still get one, but might need significant effort.

Managed to get one from snapdeal. Pretty happy so far. Screen glare is definitely present as compared to my old panasonic in the day time but not really bothersome

Test ran Gravity 3D on it was super impressed with 3D quality.

Going to be running a break in dvd for 100 hours before messing with the picture settings.

Completed 100 hours of break in slides.

Put it on cinema mode and played around with some of the settings -

Looks fantastic big difference compared to watching on standard mode.

Watched dark knight rises, the IMAX scenes look unbelievable.

since my 50inch panny packed up and the co. said they no longer had the required parts to repair it, i have to now buy a new tv atleast 49". usually there shouldn't have been ant urgency because i still have a 40" Panny in my bedroom apart from sony 20" crts in other bedrooms. i would usually wait for thr dassarah diwali sale for best prices. but i am afraid the few remaining pieces of the 51
' plasma by samsung would have gone by then. so i am forcrd to buy it now. and right now they are available only on estores.

my question is ithis has anyone recently bought this on a estore like snapdeal. is it a brand new factory sealed piece. was it made during 2014 0r 15.
were you able to register on samsung site for warranty and was it acknowledged. has anyone bought an extended warranty , if so at what price.

these are the few remaining pieces in india and what with samsung expected to get out of plasma soon, i would like to have an extended warranty with me.
thanks in advacnce

gvr

Is it worth to buy Plasma still or go for some 4K LEDs ? with more detailed pixels and micro dimming will the LED TVs compete with Plasma TVs in black levels ?

I went to Modern World today to see the demo and buy if i get a good deal. He did not go below 72k, he said he can give the dispaly piece for 68k which i refused as i don't know the hours he has burned. I tried to check the Usage but the key combination (Info + Menu + Mute + Power) did not work inspite of trying multiple times. What is the correct sequence to check the usage ?

Also i am seeing this TV is available in Snapdeal for 65k, is it safe to buy Plasma TVs online (due to its usage) ? How to get extended warranty incase if i buy online ?

Is it worth to buy Plasma still or go for some 4K LEDs ? with more detailed pixels and micro dimming will the LED TVs compete with Plasma TVs in black levels ?

I went to Modern World today to see the demo and buy if i get a good deal. He did not go below 72k, he said he can give the dispaly piece for 68k which i refused as i don't know the hours he has burned. I tried to check the Usage but the key combination (Info + Menu + Mute + Power) did not work inspite of trying multiple times. What is the correct sequence to check the usage ?

Also i am seeing this TV is available in Snapdeal for 65k, is it safe to buy Plasma TVs online (due to its usage) ? How to get extended warranty incase if i buy online ?
I had bought this at 67k a year back, guess the 72k they are asking is high.
BTW, I had been struggling with Samsung support for many months due to the issue with sound. They seems to finally ready to offer replacement or refund, however I may not get to select the same model bit some H series one. Any ppl have any recommendations on this.
1 does smart TV have any charm left now. I personally used only screen share and YouTube in last one year
2 3d? I used it for watching only handful titles till date.
3 Big question Plasma still has that effect left?

Thanks for your comments

I am getting a very good deal for the 51F5500 tv. But i am confused between this and UA48H6400. Screen size difference is not a problem. Please suggest which one should i go for. Thanks

I am getting a very good deal for the 51F5500 tv. But i am confused between this and UA48H6400. Screen size difference is not a problem. Please suggest which one should i go for. Thanks
Can you help with the deal details

I am getting the 51F5500 for Rs 51,000 and UA48H6400 for Rs 60,000. Please suggest which one should i go for? I already have a Panasonic ST60 plasma and i am very happy with it. I am confused whether to go with Plasma or LED this time.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back