Samsung Plasma 51H4900 HDMI Board went kaput

sgautam

Dear friends,

Due to a sudden storm and subsequent power spikes both my Tata Sky and Plasma TV went kaput. The technician opened it and showed me the blackened HDMI board. He says that it resulted thru the HDMI cable from Tata Sky STB and hence is not covered under ResQ (Reliance Digital) extended warranty.

I need your inputs on the below:

1. Is it true that ResQ doesnt cover such defects. There is no mention of such clause in their booklet.

2. In case ResQ desn't resolve my complaint does Samsung carry the spares for Plasma TVs. The techie says its difficult to source such boards.

Please guide on how to go about in this matter. The TV is amazing and I am cursing myself for not going for a stabilizer, though I use a GM spike guard always. Surprisingly none of the other components like amplifier, DAC or CD player got damaged due to the spike.

Though Samsung says that all their components have SMPS board and power spikes donot harm it is better to invest in a good stabiliser. I am buying V Guard crystal stabiliser after this episode.

Please guide, Thanks a lot

Are you from coimbatore? In the recent thunderstorm my Samsung 55 inch plasma.. 55 inch vu tv.. Pioneer amp all went kaput.. Samsung guys don't have spare board... Vu tv replace the board for 13k..pioneer was gonna cost me 16k for the HDMI board.. And I somehow salvaged it using an alternative source thro optical output.. Got the vguard stabilizer the one one Amazon.. Costed about 4. 5k.. The most expensive stabilizer 16+13+60k plasma TV+4.5k.. I feel you man.. I hope you find your solution soon..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Dear friends,

Due to a sudden storm and subsequent power spikes both my Tata Sky and Plasma TV went kaput. The technician opened it and showed me the blackened HDMI board. He says that it resulted thru the HDMI cable from Tata Sky STB and hence is not covered under ResQ (Reliance Digital) extended warranty.

1. Is it true that ResQ doesnt cover such defects. There is no mention of such clause in their booklet.

2. In case ResQ desn't resolve my complaint does Samsung carry the spares for Plasma TVs. The techie says its difficult to source such boards.

Please guide on how to go about in this matter. The TV is amazing and I am cursing myself for not going for a stabilizer, though I use a GM spike guard always. Surprisingly none of the other components like amplifier, DAC or CD player got damaged due to the spike.

Though Samsung says that all their components have SMPS board and power spikes donot harm it is better to invest in a good stabiliser. I am buying V Guard crystal stabiliser after this episode.

Dear Friends,
Hope it will be helpful if i share my bad experience with thunderstorm which gave me lesson on may 2016 at Coimbatore.

I have a habit if i am not using my tv at end of the day(Night time or during Rainy season) i use to remove my power cord for all high value electronic equipments like TV,AMP,HTPC,UPS to away mode to avoid return supply it's like additional safety.

Last year during such instance, i was planned to go for official trip for 3 days so as usuall i removed all power cables Including TV,AVR,STABILIZER,TATA SKY,HTPC when i came back to coimbatore i got big shock seeing none of my equipments where working.being techy DIY guy started trouble shooting one by one the failures started from main fuse to the extreme CFO lamp.
While switching ON after replacing the fuse each and every CFL gives small spark sound and fused.
It continues even with mobile chargers aswell.
I am sure there is no high voltage at the time when reached my home cos all my neighbors had some problem in powersupply and rectified by electricity board before attempting my job i confirmed the same with my multimeter.
Lesson learnt is you cannot survive if there is a severe surge attracts by your electrical equipments.
Nowadays belkin is claiming 15000 insurance once your equipment fails only you will whether they will give it or not or it falls on that category like sgautam mentioned for additional warranty..I dont know how many success stories are there with belkin!!!.
My case i lost more than 1lakh in that bad incident just like that.
Look at the list below.[emoji25]

Cfl 7nos
Fan 1
AC repaired
Ups mother board failed
Modem
HTPC Video card and smps motherboard
Onkyo HTR 2295
Cordless phone
Cell phone charger
Wireless av transmitter fried
Tatasky fried
LG 50inch motherboard failed.
Lg 24 inch mother board failure.

Do you think anything leftout ! Instead of solution implementation ..Yes i started thinking on route cause for this issue.after about a week time I could make out the way it entered in my house is tatasky setup box.
Reason tatasky antenna LNB connection we missed out.Tatasky LNB connection was in place that's sufficient to allow this surge to all equipment's via hdmi to AVR and TV and subsequent components via neutral and earth connection.
So immediately started looking for alterations.
Installed New Earthpit(individual house), bought 5 sets of male female hdmi cables and crimped connector to tatasky LNB connections.
These connections i will be using it whenever it is reqd after which i will remove it easily.This connectors will be useful to access the input and output for AVR/TV/TATASKY/HTPC/ since it is not easy to access at backside of the equipment
Pls find the attached images you will get some idea how we can prevent.Invest on those connectors we will avoid chain of failure and damaging original connector on backside of equipments.

For above major incident My LED 3D it was under ext warranty but i didnt tell them about thunderstorm before that service person visit myself opened the TV and checked it and there was no such burnt places hence it was covered to replace the motherboard free of cost saved my LG 50LA6200.,[emoji56][emoji41]

@sgautam for warranty claiming and service engineers visit - iam basically from electronic background i know about those tech/service person ..they will be looking for the burnt place for initial impression if there is a burnt they will point out immediately and the warranty will not be covered most of the cases if it is in ext warranty .even one of my ext warranty case with reliance the denied to do service for Akai Lcd(10,000 rs new tv sold for 600 rs dead tv after 2nd year)

I would strongly recommend to go for hdmi female connectors as a preventive action to everyone.
2580d215a647321669af8ce15439cb86.jpg
6bfef630df0e7bcff9fc5586630168b6.jpg
4e94ec0155088afa5ebfe97e05cce7b5.jpg
ab4948cb5cb510bed550ff6cf84f7d91.jpg

[emoji41]

Hi, thanks for the detailed post. That's helpful to many.

I felt sorry reading the above posts. Surely such things are like bolt from blue literally. In my case Reliance guys have escalated the issue to Samsung since they don't have the parts to service the TV under ResQ plan. When I checked with their CC they say that any charges that Samsung takes from me is refundable. I told them in such case why charge me at all, RD can foot the bill to Samsung. They say it's POLICY !!!!I don't understand it.

However Tata Sky was quick to replace my HD Recorder, mine was a 8 year old one. So they gave me the latest transfer enabled recorder. Tata Sky CC is responsive and cordial as always. Full marks to them. It cost me 700/- only. I was pleasantly surprised since new boxes cost 8k and above.

I too ordered for two V Guard crystal plus from Moglix under COD. It's a new site but took the chance under COD. Each one cost around 2300/- the lowest priced among all sites.

I will update the status after the Samsung techie comes and visits.

Hi Gautam Naidu - I am not from Coimbatore. I am from AP presently based near Nellore.

Last edited:
Dear friends,

Yes you can go for stabilizer V - Guard Digi 200 which i am running 3 nos for my 2 HT setup but this is only for preventing the system during switched On condition 50-50 chances.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the detailed post. That's helpful to many.

I felt sorry reading the above posts. Surely such things are like bolt from blue literally. In my case Reliance guys have escalated the issue to Samsung since they don't have the parts to service the TV under ResQ plan. When I checked with their CC they say that any charges that Samsung takes from me is refundable. I told them in such case why charge me at all, RD can foot the bill to Samsung. They say it's POLICY !!!!I don't understand it.

However Tata Sky was quick to replace my HD Recorder, mine was a 8 year old one. So they gave me the latest transfer enabled recorder. Tata Sky CC is responsive and cordial as always. Full marks to them. It cost me 700/- only. I was pleasantly surprised since new boxes cost 8k and above.

I too ordered for two V Guard crystal plus from Moglix under COD. It's a new site but took the chance under COD. Each one cost around 2300/- the lowest priced among all sites.

I will update the status after the Samsung techie comes and visits.

Hi Gautam Naidu - I am not from Coimbatore. I am from AP presently based near Nellore.
One more thing which i missed in my earlier post - Stabilizer is only for input power to your equipments.we have to think about the external sources which is connected to that equipment to avoid chain of failures
Note - During my last major failure i was using the same Stabilizer V- Guard Digi 200 only.
Which does not have control to monitor the external sources except powersupply.,

Last edited:
Can you please let us know how the male female HDMI combo works. You are right in saying that we need to safeguard the HDMI connections also. Mine got damaged due to the HDMI only.

Also pl let me know where you got the HDMI connectors.

Can you please let us know how the male female HDMI combo works. You are right in saying that we need to safeguard the HDMI connections also. Mine got damaged due to the HDMI only.

Also pl let me know where you got the HDMI connectors.
Its Just a cable nothing else.
Idea is we are not in a position to reach backside of the AVR/TV/ TATASKY/HTPC, for easy accessibility this connectors will give opportunity to remove or fix it as plug and play without damaging main connector on backside of the TV/AVR/TATASKY/HTPC (Due to frequent connecting and removing to avoid chain of failure).whenever there is plan of watching or using the system just plug it and use it after your use remove it or at end of the day.
If surge thru hdmi while watching/using no body can help us for sure.
You can add labels (attached images shows some white sticker pasted with name of the source likewise )on the hdmi cables so that you can easily identify which is input and which is output as well source.you can use the old male to male cables aswel.This female to male cables you connect directly to the backside of the AVR or TV as per your convenience there is no hard and fast rule check for spec hdmi version/4K/3D option and proceed.

^Total idea is, if there is open connection/Circuit Current will not flow^ - it includes surge

Have a look - images and link attached.

https://www.amazon.in/HDMI-Cables/b...scsubtag=5c4deaf0-35f1-4f42-8c6f-33637f8c1ca7
19c79004a414e4e8735463efdda09ae2.jpg

[emoji41]

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the tips.
But I have a question, how is the surge generated from HDMI out of STB if we connect the STB to stabilizer.And most of the STB's operate at very low voltage of 20V around.
Is the surge generated from LNB of dish from lightning which enters the STB and makes way to TV's HDMI?

Thanks for sharing the tips.
But I have a question, how is the surge generated from HDMI out of STB if we connect the STB to stabilizer.And most of the STB's operate at very low voltage of 20V around.
Is the surge generated from LNB of dish from lightning which enters the STB and makes way to TV's HDMI?
Hi,
Here we are discussing about the case Thunderstorm and Lightning.As you stated here stb is running with low voltage only but input is directly connected to Raw powersupply.If a lighting strikes the low power adapter also carries the high current which can do nothing.
What ever is connected in between towards Ground/Earthpit it will act as conductor and pass it on in micro seconds.one more thing if we switch off the adapter/any small house hold switch except Main circuit breaker you are switching off only the" phase "not the neutral.(only techy guys and DIY guys know what i meant here)

NOTE - Everything will be fried in micro sec electronic components are sensitive even for ESD and we cannot question for this kind of failures.one more thing here i want to add up here is our regular house power supply is 220 - 230v in india - +5v ,15Amps .tolerance here and there but the lightning will be carrying heavy potential in several thousands volt/Amps think about the difference.withstanding those is absolutely 50-50 chances unless otherwise if a professional lightning arrester is in next building i would say.
Its big Topic if we dig further down.[emoji849][emoji119][emoji120]

[emoji41]

Last edited:
Faced similar situation long back when my crt tv board turned to ashes tough it was switched off.Later on got to know that 33 kV power line wire fell into the regular 230V line which transmitted the high voltage to the regular line and a number of tvs and other appliances in the locality went kaput.At the same time lightning was also happening.So could not the rule out if it was due to lightning also.

There seems to be HDMI surge protectors specifically made to counter ESD. There's one in Amazon costing around 8k and basic ones starting for 3k. All are imported from USA. Effectiveness unknown ?

If this phenomenon is even occasional there must be such products available in India itself. I couldn't find any. Any FMs having experience may add value here.

so even voltage stabilizers will be useless in case of thunderstorms? so unless you disconnect every single cable you could be SOL?

Just an update on my TV status. After 3/4 follow-ups mainly thru mails ResQ guys have finally moved. They assure me resolution within 2/3 days but god knows how they will manage if Samsung doesn't carry spares.

However they confirmed that it will be covered under ResQ and again clarified that I need to pay the OEM and send the bill to ResQ, within ten days I will get a refund.

I will surely update as to how ResQ will close the complaint for everyone's benefit. I just want my plasma back in action and keep it going as long as I can. The TV is extremely good and matches many one lac TVs even now. Atleast one manufacturer should have kept the plasmas going for a niche market.

Fingers crossed !!!!!!

Last edited:
Just an update, after many confusing mails and communication ResQ finally declared that the failure is not covered under their warranty and conveniently shifted the onus on Samsung for resolution.

Surprisingly Samsung also mishandled the complaint and as many as 4 service tickets were raised and closed without my or (I believe) ResQ's intervention. Twice they claimed that I didn't send my confirmation for spares payment, once they said that spare board will be delayed hence they closed etc etc. It's a bit hilarious if seen in another light.

Anyway cutting long story short I bought a Kodak 55 inch FHD for 39k with 2 years Jeeves warranty. I am sure it will be a while before my plasma is rectified if at all. If its rectified I will replace my parents 40 inch LED at home which is working fine since 6 years. Rather than sitting and brooding with a failed TV I decided to move on.

The TV is scheduled for installation on Tuesday. Will start a new thread after that since Kodak TVs have not found their way into our forum yet. Hope their claims of A+ grade Samsung panels etc are true.

Cheers.....

Just an update, after many confusing mails and communication ResQ finally declared that the failure is not covered under their warranty and conveniently shifted the onus on Samsung for resolution.

Surprisingly Samsung also mishandled the complaint and as many as 4 service tickets were raised and closed without my or (I believe) ResQ's intervention. Twice they claimed that I didn't send my confirmation for spares payment, once they said that spare board will be delayed hence they closed etc etc. It's a bit hilarious if seen in another light.

Anyway cutting long story short I bought a Kodak 55 inch FHD for 39k with 2 years Jeeves warranty. I am sure it will be a while before my plasma is rectified if at all. If its rectified I will replace my parents 40 inch LED at home which is working fine since 6 years. Rather than sitting and brooding with a failed TV I decided to move on.

The TV is scheduled for installation on Tuesday. Will start a new thread after that since Kodak TVs have not found their way into our forum yet. Hope their claims of A+ grade Samsung panels etc are true.

Cheers.....

Welcome to the club!

Could have gone for VU Pixelight HDR 4K TV and it would have been an awesome upgrade (50" or 55"). Great for gaming, movies, 4K HDR from Netflix and Amazon (Amazon from 3rd party devices).

Oh yes nice options u said, I really wanted the Panasonic 58 inch one but eventually decided to invest the least on a 55 inch panel available. 50 inch would have been a downgrade since we are already using a 51 inch. Kodak name is a legend and they claim to use Samsung's A+ panels. Thought of taking a chance, for 40k 55 inch FHD with 3 years warranty seemed a good deal. If I found that the TV is not up to mark I will return it anyway.

My Kodak TV got installed two days ago and there's no progress on the plasma repair.

I bought the 55 inch Kodak FHD and the initial impressions are good, infact very good. The brightness level is atleast twice as my plasma without really sacrificing details once the settings are optimised. I had to dial down the brightness and backlighting a bit. However there are some rough edges in fit and finish, the remote, wall mount seem downright cheap. Not even worth 500 if I can put a price on both.

Will start a new thread after I spend some time with it.

Dear all,

The plasma TV got repaired, Samsung techie replaced the board where the HDMI connections go ( he says its the mother board but I am not sure of that). He charged me 7500 but the exact cost was 7200. I got an sms from Samsung on the price to pay but funnily it happened two days after the repair. As per him, slowly getting spares for more than 3/4 year old TVs is a issue since the technology is moving very fast and the board designs are changing by the day. It is common with all brands but Sony & Panasonic are better in that aspect.

I was very happy to see the plasma back to life and its in action at my parents place. Am opening a thread on my views on Kodak TV.

Many thanks to all members for their help. I am now using a proper stabilizer and also using a HDMI connector which i am delinking at night when the recorder is on. Exactly as guided by reachkalyan in his detailed post. Cheers....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back