Samsung Plasma PS50C6500 Owners Thread (Impressions,Settings, Issues)

^ you still have the cartoon network retained image on the screen even after running the slide?

for how long did you run the slide?

up-to 200 hrs its better to watch normal tv channels which have static symbols in zoom mode and also keep contrast and brightness under 40 , cell light under 10.

actually I could not measure it as my daughter needed to watch cartoon network again. Waiting for her afternoon nap!
What is zoom mode?

^ in the pic options u will have the pic size like 16:9, screen fit and other modes so play around with it a bit and choose a mode which zooms the screen bit and makes the cartoon network logo disappear, use that mode until uve crossed 200 hrs while watching DTH.

Also run this grey screen wash for 15-30 mins once every week.

This plasma or the v20 wont get burn in that easily until it was abused mindlessly with some static image.

actually I could not measure it as my daughter needed to watch cartoon network again. Waiting for her afternoon nap!
What is zoom mode?

The Pic Size button in the bottom of the remote cycles through the various options from - 4:3/Expand to screen width/16:9/Wide Zoom/Zoom - The last Zoom will result in the logos being almost pushed off the screen (except for the stupid airtel red sperm logo:mad:) and that will reduce your static image size in that area.

Hi Guys,

Got my PS50C6500 setup today and its been a mind blowing experience till now. Still learning my way around the various settings of this TV.

Initial thoughts:

Currently running the TV on default setting and haven't started of on any of the break in slides as of yet.

720P and 1080P:- Looks simply fantastic and this TV is made for HD Content.

SD Content :- I have a Airtel DTH connection at my place. The 16:9 aspect ratio makes the Content stretch a little while viewing the TV in 4:3 brings in 2 Black bands on either side which is annoying. Also tried various Zoom options too but still not comfortable with it. However i must say the SD Content looks pretty decent on this TV compared to the way it looked in the showroom. After watching SD content on the TV for about 4 to 5 hours in Default settings resulted in some image retention of the Airtel Logo ( Really Irritating Logo) and the Channel Logo. I also observed some horizontal banding/lines not sure how to describe it. All this disappeared once i ran the "Scrolling" functionality of the Screen Burn Protection menu for about 15 mins.

Later today i'll change the settings and tone down the settings a little to break in the plasma and complete the 150 hour break in period. Also i plan to run the break in slides overnight.

I also didn't hear any Buzzing noise which is a good sign ( Believe me tried real hard ).

Yet to try connecting my PS2 and PC to the screen and play around. Hopefully i'll get some time after the New Year celebrations :)

Wish you all a Happy New Year :)

Thanks,
Raj

Last edited:
One look at srinisundar's setup has already put in thoughts for a Projector in my mind and I am trying to see how one would go about relegating this to the bedroom and figuring out the logistics and finances for the 120" .If not at once at least before the next new year :yahoo:

Yep, I am well ahead in everything from my Initial stages.. 12 year back first TV was 25"CRT and still running superb / Straight into Sony Hifi System without going into stereo setup/ then into 480P PJ on release / Immediately to match it AV receiver with 5.1 Jamo / Then PJ of 1080P on release....Later it is a downfall or it is the right way ... Into Stereo in 2010 and now in 2011 -50"Plasma TV:cool:

Hi guys my PS50 was delivered yesterday and got installed late last night, suprisingly Samsung sent only one guy to install forced to provide manual labour out fear that this guy might drop the set.Minor irritant apart this beauty is one one worth all the troubles.Awesome with HD content but SD is smudgy according to my wife and kid.We have Hitachi 37inch but HD ready only(5 yrs old) hence the comparision.Hopefully after the break-in with appropriate setting.After the wall mount the accesses to the ports is little cumbersome the installer forgot to put the clip which helps to lift the Tv like a bonnet.Should i start running the break-in slides with settings as per Vardu's post? can somebody guide me.

PS50/DENNON1610/WDTVLIVE/PS3

Hi guys my PS50 was delivered yesterday and got installed late last night, suprisingly Samsung sent only one guy to install forced to provide manual labour out fear that this guy might drop the set.Minor irritant apart this beauty is one one worth all the troubles.Awesome with HD content but SD is smudgy according to my wife and kid.We have Hitachi 37inch but HD ready only(5 yrs old) hence the comparision.Hopefully after the break-in with appropriate setting.After the wall mount the accesses to the ports is little cumbersome the installer forgot to put the clip which helps to lift the Tv like a bonnet.Should i start running the break-in slides with settings as per Vardu's post? can somebody guide me.

PS50/DENNON1610/WDTVLIVE/PS3

My suggestion regarding the mount is to have your friend help you take the TV down and snap in the clip. Unless you are one of those guys who has figured out every connection at first go - you are going to be trying out the different connections and it makes sense to have the clip there to prop it(at least to dust under there :lol:)

Today i found that my TV has 1 stuck/dead pixel(not sure what it is). Its not viewable during normal viewing(HD/SD). But if i go up close to the TV i can easily locate it. Is there a way to remove this stuck/dead pixel ? Also what do guys suggest me to do about this?

Today i found that my TV has 1 stuck/dead pixel(not sure what it is). Its not viewable during normal viewing(HD/SD). But if i go up close to the TV i can easily locate it. Is there a way to remove this stuck/dead pixel ? Also what do guys suggest me to do about this?

See if pixel shift feature is turned on..That might help.... Call Samsung help desk log a case.

See if pixel shift feature is turned on..That might help.... Call Samsung help desk log a case.

Pixel shift feature is already turned on already. Its a stuck pixel to be precise which is pink in color. It blinks sometimes and changes color occasionally . I'll call up Samsung help desk tomorrow to log a case.

My suggestion regarding the mount is to have your friend help you take the TV down and snap in the clip. Unless you are one of those guys who has figured out every connection at first go - you are going to be trying out the different connections and it makes sense to have the clip there to prop it(at least to dust under there :lol:)

Tks Vardu,you have not answered reg the break-in slides is it a must. Can you make Sticky with the initial dos and don'ts so that noob owners can start cracking . I dont indent looking for the buzz or bands ,just enjoy the black beauty :lol:.

Tks Vardu,you have not answered reg the break-in slides is it a must. Can you make Sticky with the initial dos and don'ts so that noob owners can start cracking . I dont indent looking for the buzz or bands ,just enjoy the black beauty :lol:.

I have been setting my Standard to
Cell light - 7
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 40
Sharpness - 35
Colour - 50

Watching regular SD/HD programming/movies playing Wii games.

In fact Samsung states that you can start watching regular programming at high levels from day 1.

I have been setting my Standard to
Cell light - 7
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 40
Sharpness - 35
Colour - 50

Watching regular SD/HD programming/movies playing Wii games.

In fact Samsung states that you can start watching regular programming at high levels from day 1.

In fact vardu i put forth the same question to Samsung Support guys on whether i need to use the Break in slides or run the TV at high levels and i was told to go ahead and watch ANY content at ANY settings i want.

Later that day 2 hours of playing some SD content in the default dynamic setting(pretty high settings) resulted in temporary image retention of the channel logo(this cleared once i ran the scrolling feature). This itself shows that the problem of Temporary Image Retention persists greatly and chances of a Permanent Burn in is highly possible with this set too. In fact Samsung has clearly stated in their warranty that any static images displayed for 2 hours or more might lead to image retention and might result in a permanent burn in and such burn in's are not covered in the warranty. I feel that Samsung needs to clearly inform all new customers about the break in period and the effects of burn in/image retention. Another question is why can't Samsung break in the plasma's themselves ? I understand that it increases the production time greatly however its too much of a hassle for everyone to run the break in slides or watch the SD content in such low settings(looks horrible on low settings).

Another question is why can't Samsung break in the plasma's themselves ?

Good question. In fact none of the manufacturers break-in the plasma themselves. One reason is that doing this would greatly increase production costs. Imagine hooking up hundreds of plasmas and running break in images 24x7 for those 100-200 hours. That would be one hell of an electricity bill (which the company would conveniently pass on to the consumer).

Also what you need to realize is that this "break-in" process is a grey area. For every ten people who swear by it, there will be at least one person who will say that it is a myth and does not need to be done. If you go by logic it makes sense to run these slides so that the gases are worn out evenly. In any case the manufacturer will never say that break-in is a must because doing so would necessitate them to provide the break-in images themselves. And unlike you or I who can just download these images for free from off the net the company would have to come up with their own patented images or pay the guy who came up with these images.... all adding to the cost.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back