Samsung Plasma PS50C6500 Owners Thread (Impressions,Settings, Issues)

now have to follow the rituals of break-in etc. Buzzing is there, but can be heard only when volume is turned off. Though my wife could hear it from few feet, it was only when attention was drawn to it. So its quite a non-issue.

now have to follow the rituals of break-in etc. Buzzing is there, but can be heard only when volume is turned off. Though my wife could hear it from few feet, it was only when attention was drawn to it. So its quite a non-issue.

Why are you settling for buzzing noise? It is a non-issue now as far as you are concerned but if the wife can hear it, then you can bet that you will hear it from the wife.
It is like in purchasing a new computer. At first you are so excited that you completely ignore the noise of the fans. You think to yourself, what the hell, hardly matters, etc. But after some time the noise will start drilling into your skull.:D

You are hearing it as well as rayban - that makes it 2 out of 11 who have it in their sets.

I have not been able to hear it at all and neither have a few others in our respective sets.

I think you should confirm it with different settings and with a few other folks in the room within the next few days ( just to ensure that you are not the only ones who are imagining it).

Then contact Vaibhav and ask him to talk to Samsung about it.

Samsung knows that some of their sets have this issue and though it has been taken care of in the sep '10 production , there might be some with the buzz.

As shredder mentioned - don't settle dude!. You paid good money for this and no point in being silent and accepting a problem that has a solution.

(BUT ENSURE you DO HAVE it - because without absolute proof they will beat around the bush and make life frustrating for you)

ok - I thought it was in EVERY set and I had to settle for it. I am not imagining it, though I do not find (as of now, in the initial euphoria) unmanageable.
Should I demand a replacement?
I need to start working on calibration/ setup/ initial burn in process etc.

ok - I thought it was in EVERY set and I had to settle for it. I am not imagining it, though I do not find (as of now, in the initial euphoria) unmanageable.
Should I demand a replacement?
I need to start working on calibration/ setup/ initial burn in process etc.

I have muted the volume, switched off the fan, A/C - tried at 11 pm when ambient noise was minimum and couldn't make out any noticeable hum or buzz. I tried standard/relax/movie and dynamic settings as well as different black levels and high contrast scenes from BDRips on HDD. I also tried youtube, photo slide shows and didn't make out anything.

Make sure that it is not ambient noise and that it is in the set. There are videos on the net - see if it compares with what you are hearing.

Replacements are not that easy in India - even for a genuine issue they might try to fob you off with a generic answer.

Confirm that it is a buzz, compare with others video/info on the net, call Vaibhav and ask if he can talk to Samsung about this.

One thing i am not able to understand is why everyone is working so hard to hear the buzzing sound, i have been using Sammy plasma for years, and yes there would be a slight buzz in the set, but the effort everyone is putting in to hear the same is extraordinary.All the plasmas would buzz, some less some more.

I feel more time should be spent on proper break in for the first 150 hours and then on calibration rather than listening to buzzing sounds.

Just my personal opinion.

my understanding too was that all plasmas buzz.
Is there any post that CONCISELY covers ALL the steps for breakin/ setup/ calibration?
Sorry for being too demanding but not able to focus due to lot of stuff happening at office and home.
Guys, a new ford figo petrol is on the cards, for the wife.

One thing i am not able to understand is why everyone is working so hard to hear the buzzing sound, i have been using Sammy plasma for years, and yes there would be a slight buzz in the set, but the effort everyone is putting in to hear the same is extraordinary.All the plasmas would buzz, some less some more.

I feel more time should be spent on proper break in for the first 150 hours and then on calibration rather than listening to buzzing sounds.

I am in complete accordance with your philosophy but to be honest, that was my only worry point with this set ( as evidenced by my PM to you as well :) ) . I have not heard the faintest of buzz or hum in my set but, as you had mentioned, I was not listening for it either.

I agree that we should not try to listen for the buzz but at the same time there are some individuals who are far more sensitive to such frequencies that they are unable to proceed beyond that point.( like scratching nails on a chalk board :D ).

To be fair to those individuals, Samsung Plasmas have evidenced a real issue with this in the very same model ( in the US /UK) that it is quite within the realms of possibility that it is not entirely in their imagination.

This fault finding is something I do whenever I buy something that I really like or really want or is a great deal. It is almost as though I cannot believe that it is here or that if it was on sale then something must be wrong with it and so starts my mission. :lol:

One look at srinisundar's setup has already put in thoughts for a Projector in my mind and I am trying to see how one would go about relegating this to the bedroom and figuring out the logistics and finances for the 120" .If not at once at least before the next new year :yahoo:

with these initial settings, TV is really dull.
i verified the hum again this morning, it is very much there. You turn off tv by remote, it goes away, turn it on, and it comes back.

with these initial settings, TV is really dull.
i verified the hum again this morning, it is very much there. You turn off tv by remote, it goes away, turn it on, and it comes back.

I checked again - my recent settings I have lowered it to 35 sharpness and 7 for the lights.

Then again I watch only late at night and it is bright enough for the viewing - I do tend to let me niece watch it in standard "relax" setting

when I try the tata sky picture in 4:3 mode, the bars on side are white in color. Isn't that bad and burn it out at the sides? Why isn't it black?
Does anyone know any setting to turn the bars black?

when I try the tata sky picture in 4:3 mode, the bars on side are white in color. Isn't that bad and burn it out at the sides? Why isn't it black?
Does anyone know any setting to turn the bars black?

i think it is quite the opposite, what you really want is grey/white sidebars
still want to change to black for better viewing pleasure there is an option under the screen burn protection in picture option

Update: Mounted with Samsung Ultra Slim Wall Mount (WMN1000B)

Samsung finally deigned to send someone over to do the mounting. It took barely twenty minutes.

There was a snag - one of the bricks (right side) was a bit crumbly and couldn't hold the anchor and hence the tech decided to retain the left hole (as the new right) and drill a new left hole.

Height : 26.5 inches (to bottom of TV edge)

Thanks to rajapraveen for the tips for obtaining the ultra slim mount.

It looks smaller now :mad: ( Maybe the extra foot made the difference)

Friends,
after reading all the posts i would like to share my experience with you.Samsung is one co in India which takes Service pretty seriously i would say the best in India.
I have a same tv in younger brothers house and have not found any buzz even though i looked for it late in night too,so guess maybe few sets may have this problem,I was reading on this thread about FW update which i feel should be left to Service professional from Samsung esp if you intend to do manual update.
i have total 3 Plasma tvs 2x42 1x50 and i have found this tv to be the Best of all.
I have done calibration of this tv as below and have found that with these settings its on a different level altogether,Hope you find these settings useful.
regards...:)
White Balance Settings Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33 Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25 Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33 Picture Settings Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off Brightness 56 Gamma: 0 Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low Film Mode: Auto

Are these settings for burn in period or after burn in period?

Friends,
after reading all the posts i would like to share my experience with you.Samsung is one co in India which takes Service pretty seriously i would say the best in India.
I have a same tv in younger brothers house and have not found any buzz even though i looked for it late in night too,so guess maybe few sets may have this problem,I was reading on this thread about FW update which i feel should be left to Service professional from Samsung esp if you intend to do manual update.
i have total 3 Plasma tvs 2x42 1x50 and i have found this tv to be the Best of all.
I have done calibration of this tv as below and have found that with these settings its on a different level altogether,Hope you find these settings useful.
regards...:)
White Balance Settings Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33 Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25 Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33 Picture Settings Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off Brightness 56 Gamma: 0 Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low Film Mode: Auto

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back