Samsung Plasma PS50C6500 Owners Thread (Impressions,Settings, Issues)

I think I missed sharing this, but my 50c6500 is on its way via blue dart and should be reaching me this sat. Fingers crossed as this is the first time I have spent this large amount without seeing the product or the person selling it :)

Don't worry it is money well spent, you will be more than satisfied with the picture quality this plasma offers.

Having seen most of the LCD's and even the best v20 plasma I can say this tv's HD performance is very close to that of the V20.Ive read in some of the forums where they say the black levels increase considerably after the firm ware update and also some say the black level in this is even better than the 7 series plasma(which many reviewers have praised for its amazing black levels).

Today i wall mounted the second plasma in my listening room so i will observe the pic quality and performance of the plasma very closely in the coming days.

Last edited:
I am planning to update real soon, the issue's AFAIK what i notice on the tv which is running almost for week now is that it has slight judder and also SD seems a bit soft(which might be an advantage while playing bad quality SD).

I played a 700MB rip of inception in my plasma as well as the LCD and it looked a lot better in the plasma while it appeared patchy in the LCD. SD with lower quality looks like watching a movie projected from a film projector and i like it.

damn!!!
Status Linehaul Delayed; Accident/Traffic-Jam
Contact Customer Service

And when I call the customer service of blue dart, there is a recorded msg essentially saying why are you calling? Check the web site or SMS!

damn!!!
Status Linehaul Delayed; Accident/Traffic-Jam
Contact Customer Service

And when I call the customer service of blue dart, there is a recorded msg essentially saying why are you calling? Check the web site or SMS!

Been there - done that! I can truly empathize and sympathize! Look on the only bright side - sooner or later you are going to be watching on one real heck of a screen.:cool:

well wanted it to get settled this weekend. My boss is very determined on making me work all weekends. I thought I could avoid this one.

hmm - no status update as yet on bluedart. I called and they asked to call back on monday. Got a prompt call from Samsung person though. Hope I would be able to get it up and running by next weekend.

hmm - no status update as yet on bluedart. I called and they asked to call back on monday. Got a prompt call from Samsung person though. Hope I would be able to get it up and running by next weekend.

If you are planning to hang it, please ask Samsung if they have the requisite mounts for this model.

They still don't have mine in stock - I am planning to buy the WMN1000B Samsung Ultra Slim Wall Mount - so that it would be flush with the wall as well as enable easy removal.

They still don't have mine in stock - I am planning to buy the WMN1000B Samsung Ultra Slim Wall Mount - so that it would be flush with the wall as well as enable easy removal.

They should have this slim mount in stock cause both my plasma's are hung in the wall using WMN1000B slim mount which is given by Samsung for this plasma at free of cost.

They should have this slim mount in stock cause both my plasma's are hung in the wall using WMN1000B slim mount which is given by Samsung for this plasma at free of cost.

@rajapraveen80 - I thought it was included as well - Did you talk to someone about the mount because - they said
1. It was out of stock
2. They could install only the standard ( ugly huge) mount and that this one would cost extra!

They cant charge extra , this tv wont take the normal mount only slim mount can be used.If the Samsung guys brings normal mount he wont be able to fit it.

Call vibhav and let him know.

hmmm - I think I will keep the slim mount, and get it setup on a table top, since I am in a rented acco.
Status on bluedart is still the same and no one knows what's up. The person on the call refused to provide janakpuri branch number.

Update on buzz: It is still there, but is so faint that I can't hear it while watching normal TV. So have decided to live with it for now. Plenty of time left in the warranty period, so if becomes a real issue I will call Samsung at that point.

Also a question, not about this set but HDTVs generally: Some 16:9 videos don't fit the screen while others do. What's up with that? I have watched 3 blu-rays on the TV so far, and the first two fit the screen, but the third one (Greenberg) had black bars at the top and bottom. It wasn't a settings problem because the disc menu was a perfect 16:9 fit. Are some "HD" movies recorded in a different screen ratio?

Another one: I am still dissatisfied with the shadow detail on the TV. Even with HD content it is hard to make out details in the darker scenes. Any tips/settings from those who are happy with the shadow detail on their sets?

Also a question, not about this set but HDTVs generally: Some 16:9 videos don't fit the screen while others do. What's up with that? I have watched 3 blu-rays on the TV so far, and the first two fit the screen, but the third one (Greenberg) had black bars at the top and bottom. It wasn't a settings problem because the disc menu was a perfect 16:9 fit. Are some "HD" movies recorded in a different screen ratio?

Different movies in blu ray have different aspect ratio, you could have 16:9. 2.35:1 or even 4:3 (rarer). The resolution is more to do with the pixel count of 1980 to 1080p.

Going by this link Greenberg Blu-ray
it appears greenberg movie bd is in 2.35:1 which is an anamorphic format closer to what you see in a movie hall in cinemascope.

Update on buzz: It is still there, but is so faint that I can't hear it while watching normal TV. So have decided to live with it for now. Plenty of time left in the warranty period, so if becomes a real issue I will call Samsung at that point.

Another one: I am still dissatisfied with the shadow detail on the TV. Even with HD content it is hard to make out details in the darker scenes. Any tips/settings from those who are happy with the shadow detail on their sets?

I have a similar issue with picture size - I am not able to adjust the picture size (in fact the option is disabled in some mkv movies).

I realize that the media are shot in particular formats and that they are suitable for certain ratios - but I am not able to change to full screen zoom at all - the option is disallowed.

I am currently watching it in sub-40 standard setting (till 150 hours). Maybe I am not that picky or I haven't watched such scenes - but when I shift to even the Relax mode I am able to make out enough details and the Movie mode is really nice.

I have watched mummy, resident evil and spiderman - all with some really dark scenes and I haven't noticed any particular lack.
but I am not seeing the shadow issues when I shift

How is the SD content ? Some light on that please.

If by SD you mean non-full HD then there are several levels.

720p - can make out difference only if I play the exact same movie scene and compare it back and forth - but yes I can spot the difference.

480p - DVD rips -I have played some regular DVD rips that were real treats to watch.

Cable/DTH - SD is pretty standard - The details don't stand out so well, there is a certain blurriness to the edges of sharp outlines, colors are smudged a bit but it is not horrible to watch

Depending on the provider - some channels are better than others.

I don't know if I am enamoured with the new toy :lol: but I am quite a bit happy with all of these at the sub-40% settings. :yahoo:

bluedart sucks.
Even after calling them and telling them, even after a note from Vaibhav to call before delivering, they showed up and delivered. Caused certain amount of discomfort to in-laws. Could have been worse (for them) if there wasn't anyone at home, or if they refused to accept.

And the delay, no updates for few days! Was picked on 15th Dec but was delivered on 20th evening.
All would be forgiven if it has reached in a good condition though. Hoping to get it home and setup by the coming weekend.

Different movies in blu ray have different aspect ratio, you could have 16:9. 2.35:1 or even 4:3 (rarer). The resolution is more to do with the pixel count of 1980 to 1080p.
You are right about movies being shot in various different aspect ratios. 'SD' While TV/Video has an aspect ratio of 4:3 (1.33:1) and 'HD' TV/Video has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.77:1). The standard movie aspect ratio before the advent of widescreen movies was the 35mm film 'academy' aspect ratio of 1.37:1. It was based on this aspect ratio that the 4:3 standard for TV was set. Since the advent of widescreen movies, films shot for theatrical release have used several different aspect ratios, ranging from 1.50:1, 1.66:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1, 2.39:1, 2.55:1, 2.66:1 and probably a few more, but you get the idea. The most commonly used aspect ratios currently, are 1.85:1 (academy) and 2.39:1 (cinemascope). Thus, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie in question and the type of TV used, you will see black bars on top/bottom or left/right.

it appears greenberg movie bd is in 2.35:1 which is an anamorphic format closer to what you see in a movie hall in cinemascope.
Technically speaking, even for DVDs the term anamorphic is actually incorrect. But nevertheless, it has become common/routine to use the term anamorphic to describe DVDs with video that has been enhanced for 16:9 TVs. But, in the case of blu-rays, there is absolutely no provision for any enhancement of the picture and thus the term 'anamorphic' is totally incorrect and irrelevant to the blu-ray format.

ok - so the TV reached Delhi on Monday evening. I fetched it in my car on tuesday night. What a lovely boot space skoda has. TV fit the boot with some space to spare. Of course with panel being horizontal.
Drove extremely slow, the way I did when I brought my baby from hospital to home the first time. Same car :)
Wed the person from Samsung showed up with the slim mount. After some serious debate whether to wall mount or to put it on table, I went for wall mount to save my kid from TV toppling etc. On the other hand, the TV also needs to be protected against my daughter's adventures. So settled a little higher wall mounted. It is so slim that it deserves to be wall mounted like a big painting.

This TV is LOVELY. Thanks Vaibhav for a great and smooth transaction. Picture quality is great. I didn't watch much HD on it as yet, but SD (tata sky normal one) looks quite good. Some channels like NAt Geo/ Discovery look stunning.
I always found SD very bad in showrooms. But at home it was quite good. But when went very close, I found the similar PQ issues as I saw at showrooms. I think we stand too close to TVs in the showrooms while normal distance of watching TV is 10ft at home and since the size is quite large, everything is quite visible, while some imperfections get hidden.
Overall loving the quality. Kid is happy with the new gift. Now she can watch her appletv in bedroom as well. The 29" crt has been shifted to the other bedroom, and a smaller CRT currently lying begging for love.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back