Samsung Plasma PS50C6500 Owners Thread (Impressions,Settings, Issues)

White Balance Settings Red-Offset 22 Red-Gain 33 Green-Offset 25 Green-Gain 25 Blue-Offset 12 Blue-Gain 33 Picture Settings Picture Mode Movie Black Tone: Off Color Temp Warm 2 Dynamic Contrast: Off Brightness 56 Gamma: 0 Contrast 90 Color Space: Auto Color 53 Flesh Tone: Off Tint G35/R65 Edge Enhancement: Off Sharpness 10 Digital NR: Auto Cell Light 8 HDMI Black Level: Low Film Mode: Auto

G35/R65? are you sure ?

Are these settings for burn in period or after burn in period?

If you are going to be observing the 200-hour-burn-in-watch then you might as well wait till it is over before playing with the settings. Since you are going to have it at low contrast/color/brightness/sharpness etc... - it is easier to change all this once you feel comfortable with the set.

BTW - how is your buzz coming along? Have you wall mounted it yet?

Guys,

Howz the SD content viewing experience ? Before or after burn-in ?

I felt Panny was sharp and thick where as samsung is slightly Glossy and Shady image.

Please share your experience on SD content.

Kittu

Guys,

Howz the SD content viewing experience ? Before or after burn-in ?

I felt Panny was sharp and thick where as samsung is slightly Glossy and Shady image.

Please share your experience on SD content.

Kittu

To be honest , I really can't make out a difference and in fact I might be inclined to believe that in PQ ( everything included) this is equal if not an epsilon superior to the Panasonic V20D ( well the " superior " might just be my own bias :lol: but not by much:cool: )

This is truly one well made set.

it was wall mounted on slim mount on day 1. Buzz is very much there, I have confirmed it.

If you are going to be observing the 200-hour-burn-in-watch then you might as well wait till it is over before playing with the settings. Since you are going to have it at low contrast/color/brightness/sharpness etc... - it is easier to change all this once you feel comfortable with the set.

BTW - how is your buzz coming along? Have you wall mounted it yet?

ALert help please got vertical banding on my set it is only visible when playing bright content as i had reduced the contrast and the cell light for the break in period now today as i played break in slides during the white slides and bright slides the vertical bands were visible .It looks the same as in the pictures in the link below but only when during bright scenes ImageShack Album - 6 imagesit is not as obvious as the one in these photos but they are there in some very bright scenes i can live with it but i honestly want to hear your expert opinion on this please help as it is my first hdtv my dad's gonna kill me .please say what my next course of action should be.i have reported my problem with customer support keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Got a message from Vaibhav (J D Electronics) that he has got 8 more units of 50 inch C6500. If anyone is interested they can call him at 09840480822.

Edit -- Just saw now that Vardu has already posted this in the HotDeals thread.

Last edited:
anyone has any comments on the vertical banding issue raised by Jerry? Someone from Samsung will be visiting my house today to check the buzzing.

Spoke to Vaibhav today and ordered one.

Last time around, the Wife had not agreed. This time, my constant moaning about buying a new Tv finally got too much for her, and she gave in. Yipee.

After speaking to Vaibhav, transferred the money by NEFT (electronic payment via net banking). Was not comfortable with carrying 67,500 in cash.

Lets see how long it takes for delivery.

I already have a Samsung 50B450 (which is going to move to the kids room). I hope I see a significant improvement in PQ.

well the samsung guy came today and both i and him were not able to see the banding unless we saw it under the back ground of break in slides and still he pretended not to see the bands and said i was paranoid and that there were no faults whatsoever and acted as if i didnt know any thing about tvs and asked me to stick with crts and with this woke up the sleeping dragon in me i shouted at him left write and center and i said i will call samsung or go to their headquarters and make a complaint about him so the guy was scared and apologized for his behaviour and finally saw the band the main aim with the cc call was either to get my set replaced or at most get my minute fault registered so that even if something goes wrong after warranty i can pull their shirts u like mr.madan(or) madhav(i cant get his name) did .so i made the techie draw a diagram on his complaints page according to my specification and then only did i sign .After this fiasco i saw some hd content i really can see it only when i reduce the cell light below 10 can i see it in cartoons but i can surely see them in the break in slides.please guys have i taken the correct decision or have i given in to corporate jabberoni please advice.thanks a lot amn you seem to be the only guy interested in my situation .BTW does anyone see horizontal lines during white break in slides do tell.

well the samsung guy came today and both i and him were not able to see the banding unless we saw it under the back ground of break in slides and still he pretended not to see the bands and said i was paranoid and that there were no faults whatsoever and acted as if i didnt know any thing about tvs and asked me to stick with crts and with this woke up the sleeping dragon in me i shouted at him left write and center and i said i will call samsung or go to their headquarters and make a complaint about him so the guy was scared and apologized for his behaviour and finally saw the band the main aim with the cc call was either to get my set replaced or at most get my minute fault registered so that even if something goes wrong after warranty i can pull their shirts u like mr.madan(or) madhav(i cant get his name) did .so i made the techie draw a diagram on his complaints page according to my specification and then only did i sign .After this fiasco i saw some hd content i really can see it only when i reduce the cell light below 10 can i see it in cartoons but i can surely see them in the break in slides.please guys have i taken the correct decision or have i given in to corporate jabberoni please advice.thanks a lot amn you seem to be the only guy interested in my situation .BTW does anyone see horizontal lines during white break in slides do tell.

Hi Jerry

I have not been able to notice this problem or maybe I am not looking for it enough. I keep my cell light at around 7 or 8 during this initial period and I am not running slides - merely watching regular content (TV/Games/Movies) both HD and SD at reduced levels.

You did do the right thing by getting the Samsung guy to put it in his sign off sheet. If anything happens you can always use that as ammo.

--
V

One question, are we trying to locate a fault here in the set,have you bought the set for watching the break in slides. Play the media you want to watch, the HD stuff, TV, dvd rips, whatever and check the set out. If there are issues then make noise and push samsung.

I feel at times we go overboard in locating a fault in the set, rather than enjoying the pleasure of buying a new porduct. The other day there were few members who were putting the tv on mute and trying to hear the buzzing sound. Which was surprising to me.As you are searching for something which is not an issue and is common with most plasmas and the efforts being made to listen to the buzz.

So my 2 cents, watch what you bought the set to watch, incase of any issues complain, check if there is a firmware update for the same.

If it does not impact what you want to watch just be happy with it. ...:)

One question, are we trying to locate a fault here in the set,have you bought the set for watching the break in slides. Play the media you want to watch, the HD stuff, TV, dvd rips, whatever and check the set out. If there are issues then make noise and push samsung.

I feel at times we go overboard in locating a fault in the set, rather than enjoying the pleasure of buying a new porduct. The other day there were few members who were putting the tv on mute and trying to hear the buzzing sound. Which was surprising to me.As you are searching for something which is not an issue and is common with most plasmas and the efforts being made to listen to the buzz.

So my 2 cents, watch what you bought the set to watch, incase of any issues complain, check if there is a firmware update for the same.

If it does not impact what you want to watch just be happy with it. ...:)

:lol:

Listen to the man - he knows what he is talking about! I was one of the paranoid group for the first two days :eek:.

Hi Vardu , my set is expected tomorrow ,can you provide me the dimension height and width of the set so that i can make arrangements for my av rack accordingly.Can any of the existing owner create a sticky for the initial break-in setup for new owners to get cracking right-away.

the samsung guy visited my place. For the buzz he said this is inverter [that powers the backlights] noise and is present in all sets. He said he recently had a training with Samsung and he was told this noise is normal. I don't think this is with every set, as you guys have confirmed, but the noise right now is too faint to bother me.

Then he increased cell light to 15 and brightness to 50 and contrast to 85. I asked him what is the break-in process to prevent burn out of pixel etc - he said no need, these are latest high quality plasma. If you see any IR just run the scrolling in the protection and they would be removed. All the low brightness etc was required in old plasmas and not these!
My wife is happy with increased brightness but I am not sure. The cartoon network logo seems to have made a permanent place for itself.

Last edited:
Then he increased cell light to 15 and brightness to 50 and contrast to 85. I asked him what is the break-in process to prevent burn out of pixel etc - he said no need, these are latest high quality plasma. If you see any IR just run the scrolling in the protection and they would be removed. All the low brightness etc was required in old plasmas and not these!
My wife is happy with increased brightness but I am not sure. The cartoon network logo seems to have made a permanent place for itself.

The break-in process info could be quite true - all over the world users are slow to react and accept that it is not needed anymore because of the current quality of the plasma tech.

A lot of folks have started using the plasmas on all settings from day one and have had no problems.

I have taken the road in between like Dushie did - keeping the settings low but watching regular content. In fact for a couple of movies ( my nieces insisted) we watched in regular high settings Movie mode and the NG HD channel in Dynamic mode as well.

So far its been zero issues and no IR.

BTW I take it the Cartoon channel logo was tongue-in-cheek about the kids usage and not about real burn-in?

network logo seems to have made a permanent place for itself.

If you are talking abt a strong retention or burn in then run that grey slide washout feature in the tv for abt half hour and that should take care of it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back