Saregama Carvaan aux out to passive speakers DAC suggestion

Donivlapog

Hi, I have a couple of unused passive speakers with me which I wish to put them to good use by hooking them to Saregama Carvaan aux out(3.5 mm jack) through a suitable DAC. Can anybody point out the right device pls. Also that device must not find problems playing FM or bluetooth streaming through carvaan. Thanks in advance.

The AUX out is already converted to analog, so you just need an amplifier for your passive speakers to connect to. A DAC isn't necessary unless the Carvaan can output in digital (optical/coaxial). I believe I saw a classified post on this forum about the Aiyima A07 amp, which should suit your use-case.

In my experience, the AUX out is typically designed for headphones, so the voltage output is lower. This means you might have to turn up the volume on the amp. Consider using a pre-amp to boost the signal to line level, which the amplifier can easily drive. However, keep in mind that adding more components to the chain could introduce more noise. I've heard that inexpensive pre-amps can sometimes introduce noise along with amplification, so there's a trade-off to consider.

For connecting the AUX out to the amplifier, you can use this adaptor cable

If the Carvaan supports Bluetooth transmission, you might want to explore an amplifier with integrated Bluetooth, such as the Fosi Audio BT20A.

Frankly, I am surprisedCaravan still sells. It is essentially an oversized mp3 player with built-in speaker and fixed number of songs preloaded, and organised into playlists. In an age of unlimited FLAC streaming at Rs 99 pm, this product seems to work primarily based on its vintage radio like looks and large knobs that suit the aging population who don’t want to fiddle with creating their own playlists on mobile.

But at the price they charge I would have expected the hardware to be flawless. When it was launched years ago, I bought one for myself and gifted two to others in the family. However all of them went kaput after a while. Not the reliability I expect from modern-day products. Only if they lasted well, it would have been a nice contrarian product.

Have you tried the following internet radio stations on your mobile? They have 24x7 old Hindi songs, even curated programs: Shripad Radio, Radio Zindagi Retro, Old Monk Radio, Hungama B&W Classic. All free, most of them ad free too. Simply connecting to BT speaker gets one the Old Bollywood daily fix.

Last edited:
Frankly, I am surprisedCaravan still sells. It is essentially an oversized mp3 player with built-in speaker and fixed number of songs preloaded, and organised into playlists. In an age of unlimited FLAC streaming at Rs 99 pm, this product seems to work primarily based on its vintage radio like looks and large knobs that suit the aging population who don’t want to fiddle with creating their own playlists on mobile.

But at the price they charge I would have expected the hardware to be flawless. When it was launched years ago, I bought one for myself and gifted two to others in the family. However all of them went kaput after a while. Not the reliability I expect from modern-day products. Only if they lasted well, it would have been a nice contrarian product.

Have you tried the following internet radio stations on your mobile? They have 24x7 old Hindi songs, even curated programs: Shripad Radio, Radio Zindagi Retro, Old Monk Radio, Hungama B&W Classic. All free, most of them ad free too. Simply connecting to BT speaker gets one the Old Bollywood daily fix.
It is for my dad. And i play him songs when I am around but since Carvaan might be user friendly for him, I was thinking of ordering one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't agree more . Really this caravan product is not at all reliable. I gifted one to one of my relatives and that unit went kaput after two years. Though I wanted to buy one for myself , i lost interest after I came to know that it was not good. Rather i have been using internet radio for some years and I like it.
Regards

Mi had a Blue tooth speaker which was amazing..not sure of it now. If they do have a smartphone, getting a streaming account connected with a decent Bluetooth speaker would be far better than the low quality songs, below average Sound quality and dodgy reliability of the caravan.

I purchased the Carvaan one long back for my wife (I think 2017), It is still going strong and she primarily listens to it in the kitchen (harsh environment). Maybe the build quality has come down over the years.
Keeping fingers crossed now :)

I purchased the Carvaan one long back for my wife (I think 2017), It is still going strong and she primarily listens to it in the kitchen (harsh environment). Maybe the build quality has come down over the years.
Keeping fingers crossed now :)
Caravan's have a horrible build quality, looks like your caravan has been well taken care of by your better half.
product itself is unique and can be a great seller if it had better build quality, I've had experience with two caravan models and have opened them up to repair or put something back in order and the insides are cheap bad quality stuff

Mi had a Blue tooth speaker which was amazing..not sure of it now. If they do have a smartphone, getting a streaming account connected with a decent Bluetooth speaker would be far better than the low quality songs, below average Sound quality and dodgy reliability of the caravan.
It has its own use even if noisy. For the elderly it is easy to use and they dont exactly require hi fidelity sound either, resembles olden days radio sets. Maybe the pricing is high but is a good gift item.

It has its own use even if noisy. For the elderly it is easy to use and they dont exactly require hi fidelity sound either, resembles olden days radio sets. Maybe the pricing is high but is a good gift item.
The best part is that it has well curated playlists with an user-friendly interface and also portable..
The playlists are segregated in different useful classifications.
One full section is dedicated to Geetmala with Amin Sayani's voice over.

One of the best things to have happened to our kitchen was the Caravan :)
I have the first model and it is still going strong (fingers crossed). It sees around 2 hours of play daily.
It's the perfect one for those getting on in years and love old Hindi music.
The curation is of high quality.

Sachin's suggestions, as always, are worth considering.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back