sats v/s towers

jayantadak

I have a tower speaker system. The speakers are of P&J make (A jamo's sister concern) as they claim. I have connected the spks to Denon AVR 1604, along with a jamo subwoofer E-3 (75 watts) Somehow I feel this set up of mine does not do justice to the DVD's I play. The diologues appear to be muffled at times. The required bang and thud is missing, while car crashing scenes and such ... Before buying this system I was interested in satellite speakers, I had taken a demo 5/6 times. Now I feel that the sats were performing much better. How's that???????? Do the sats deliver a high volume as compared to the towers. (which i feel is unlikely) Some folks told me that sats were good for movies, while towers are good for music. I feel like believing them. Can any of you comment on that. Regards - Jayant

I have a tower speaker system. The speakers are of P&J make (A jamo's sister concern) as they claim. I have connected the spks to Denon AVR 1604, along with a jamo subwoofer E-3 (75 watts) Somehow I feel this set up of mine does not do justice to the DVD's I play. The diologues appear to be muffled at times. The required bang and thud is missing, while car crashing scenes and such ... Before buying this system I was interested in satellite speakers, I had taken a demo 5/6 times. Now I feel that the sats were performing much better. How's that???????? Do the sats deliver a high volume as compared to the towers. (which i feel is unlikely) Some folks told me that sats were good for movies, while towers are good for music. I feel like believing them. Can any of you comment on that. Regards - Jayant

Dear Jayant,
Its a strange happening indeed. Because i myself have upgraded from satellites to towers. i had a 5.1 from which i have come to sonodyne ( 2 towers + sub). The sound quality has gone up by leaps and bounds. In fact your movies should sound better - with a lot of full bodied sound coming from the towers and the sub. But first tell me - how does music sound on the same setup when compared to movies? Does the music have a good tonal quality? do you feel that that the music has the required sparkle and punch when played on the setup? Also tell me if you have a 2.1 ( 2 towers + a sub ) or a 5.1 ( which has towers as the main channel speakers). And what audio setting are you using for the music and movies on the AVR - any presets?

regards,
Raja

Dear Jayant

The Speakers PJ is now introduced in the market as Jamo 406, and i should say that for the price you should not expect more.
IMO Jamo should not have launched these 406 ,408 because it has spoiled their reputation .

Instead you can have a JBL or Mission Sat / Sub combination

mohan

...Now I feel that the sats were performing much better. How's that???????? Do the sats deliver a high volume as compared to the towers... Regards - Jayant

Jayant,

You might want to calibrate your speakers in line with the room acoustics and listner-distance. Either you can do it manually, or use the test tones from the receiver. The best way would be to get hold of a good calibration DVD like Avia and an SPL meter.

Also, recheck your speaker placement taking into account of room acoustics, dimentions and furnishing.

All the best.

Good point unlash, postion of speaker is very imp. keep then around 2ft away from walls in both side also place them in very stable and leveled surface.

test with your old fav cds again also biger and power full speakers need good speaker cable to more thicker cables to handle the more power and heat... do some trails you can get the best out of it... will be...

Sk

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back