Sealed or ported Sub

dinesh1201

Hey friends!
I'm thinking to add a Sub to my stereo chain, is it a wise idea? My RTi A3 has 6.5" driver and can go low upto 40Hz but again to feel that bass you need to crank up the volume. However neatness in sound is perfect including bass and I'm not missing anything but want to feel a punch in music :) So need advice on:-
1- Should I add the Sub?
2- If yes then Ported or sealed, heard that sealed has better punch for music.

Thank you in advance!

A sealed enclosure is considered to be more suitable for music.
Given ur budget, doubt u can find any sealed subwoofer.
Look at Cambridge audio minx series but doubt if it will fall in ur budget.

It is incorrect that sealed is better for music. It is just that sealed is more forgiving with design.
I will not get too much into technicalities, but a properly port tuned subwoofer can produce some great bass.

I use a wharfedale 10 inch ported sub in a similar 10x10 space for pure music to go with my Infinity bookshelf and the combo is amazing.

The crossover point, gain and phase I have set with my ears

Both SVS and Crutchfield have different thoughts on the same topic. I haven't heard any sealed one so don't know how different they sound.

Hi dinesh1201

If the RtiAs go as low as 40hz then you need to get a sub which can deliver 10hz lower or more.....no point buying a sub which can deliver 35hz...you will not feel the difference but only more noise......

To get a sub which can deliver 30hz or less....you will need to increase your budget. The Bose Acoustic mass design sub has two woofer drivers and can deliver around 30/32hz bass.....Telome and other local brands have copied the design....

If budget is a constraint, see pre owned in For Sale by Owner or Olx or quikr....

See these subs....see the specs of each and decide on the one on two conditions:

https://htstore.in/index.php?route=product/category&path=109_61&sort=p.price&order=ASC

1) It has to have High Level / Low Level inputs to hook to your stereo amp.
2) Don't focus on the subwoofer amp output, see the frequencies you want...the more lower ..the better..
3) If you have the space, 10 or 12 inch is very ideal.......check, audition and decide...

All the best

If the RtiAs go as low as 40hz then you need to get a sub which can deliver 10hz lower or more.....no point buying a sub which can deliver 35hz...you will not feel the difference but only more noise......
Hmm okay
If budget is a constraint, see pre owned in For Sale by Owner or Olx or quikr....
Looking there too :)
1) It has to have High Level / Low Level inputs to hook to your stereo amp.
I'll connect using DAC's Pre-out

Thank you for the detailed answer. That means I'll have to wait to get a good one.

It is incorrect that sealed is better for music. It is just that sealed is more forgiving with design.
I will not get too much into technicalities, but a properly port tuned subwoofer can produce some great bass.

I use a wharfedale 10 inch ported sub in a similar 10x10 space for pure music to go with my Infinity bookshelf and the combo is amazing.

The crossover point, gain and phase I have set with my ears

thanks! and what is your thought about Sub with passive radiators?

I had a velodyne sub with passive radiator about 20 years ago. It was fantastic musically.very fast and articulate. Kept well with Magnepans I had back then.

I had a velodyne sub with passive radiator about 20 years ago. It was fantastic musically.very fast and articulate. Kept well with Magnepans I had back then.

Great! Cambridge Minx series uses passive radiators.

Hey Hi,

If its for Music listening, dont get a Sub. Those RTis are more than capable, you will not gain much by adding a sub. If you want to spend, you can look at fine tuning other areas of your setup. Get a Sub only if you are going to be watching a lot of movies on this setup.

MaSh

Hey Hi,

If its for Music listening, dont get a Sub. Those RTis are more than capable, you will not gain much by adding a sub. If you want to spend, you can look at fine tuning other areas of your setup. Get a Sub only if you are going to be watching a lot of movies on this setup.

MaSh
Hi, Yes you are right, its 6.5" driver provide an excellent bass but the issue is I've to crank the volume to certain level. If I am listening late night I rarely hear the bass :) does sub still not help? like playing a soft music with a soothing bass that can be heard.

Personally I think the amplifier is underpowered for these speakers to drive them to the fullest. You need atleast 120 watts to get the lower end to be robust. Less power usually is the culprit if the bass falls off towards the bottom end.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back