Search for entry level floorstanders : Dali Zensor 7

grunthos

After more than two years of reading other users experiences with different speakers and amplifiers, and drawing on the forums collective wisdom, this weekend I finally got my first set of hifi speakers

When I started out in Oct last year, I knew I wanted 2 floorstanders only.

Reasons are as follows
- I live in a rented apartment, so 5.1 was out of the question as wiring etc is too much of a hassle, esp since I have to change apartment in a few years
- The bookshelves + subwoofer option was explored, but setup (crossover) and placement was still a hassle compared to the floorstanders. Plus floorstanders are more stable than bookshelves on stands
- The listening point is 15ft away from the speakers. Plus there is an open kitchen, effectively making it 16x16 ft room. I felt a floorstander would fill the room better
- Also, floorstanders look much better than bookshelves :)

The budget was to be around 50k for floorstanders and about 40k for matching AVR. Reasons for choosing AVR (vs stereo amplifier) is because we watch a lot of TV shows/movies more video than music. I have a dedicated HTPC as source, along with a Dish TV HD and a Xbox. A stereo amplifier would have sounded sweeter, but it wouldnt have handled video and routing everything through the TV would have been another hassle

I had formed a shortlist and started auditions in Oct but had to pause for a few months as some unexpected expenses came up. I am posting my views on the various speakers I had a chance to listen to, hoping other members might find it useful like I did. Also, since some of the auditions were done almost 6 months back, I am a little hazy on details of some of the speakers (esp the ones I didnt like :D). I live in Mumbai

Polk TSi 400
I began at ProFX, because they conveniently have a outlet in a mall close to my house. I had carried some audio cds, mostly hindi. The music sounded fine (but not wow) to me back then. Listened to 3-4 songs, then asked if they have something for video. They played the DVD of Transformers. It was then I got wowed by the speaker. The booms, the shattering everything was very immersive and thoroughly enjoyable.
Equipment Denon 1713 and Denon CDP/DVD source
Price around Rs 40,000 with a 10% discount offered

KEF Q500
After the Polks, I tried the KEF Q500. Although they were priced much higher, they were rated more highly on the internet. The moment they switched on the KEFs, I realized I had developed a headache from listening to the Polks ! The KEFs in comparison were much more mellow. Listening to music was very soothing, but overall I thought it was lacking a little punch. It was confirmed after watching Transformers. The bass was just not there and there was no fun in watching Optimus Prime and Megatron beat the crap out of each other
Equipment was the same
Price Around Rs 68,000 with the same 10% discount

Tannoy Mercury V4
One of my speakers I was looking forward to was the Tannoy Mercury V4s. They were priced very attractively and had won awards as best entry level floorstanders. I got in touch with Alliance 4, who unfortunately said he didnt have them in stock. But we could demo it, as he had one demo piece in his godown in Vasai somewhere and he would bring it for us.
However when we landed up for audition, we were told there was some issue about getting it across Dahisar for some octroi tax bullshit. Bottom line it wasnt available. Subsequently I followed up for two weeks but it was never available and stocks werent coming anytime soon because of a model upgrade from V4 to V4i. The dealer never came back to me subsequently
Price : acc to the dealer Rs 37,000

Wharfedale Diamond 10.4
Disappointed, we decided to try out the other floorstanders he had. The Wharfedales were first. This time I was carrying music on a xtreamer and I had a colleague accompanying me he is an amateur musician, so he his comments were quite useful. The Wharfedales were easily the worst speaker we heard in our entire audition. I do not know if something was wrong in the setup, or the speakers, but it sounded dull and lifeless and just plain ordinary. I was very surprised that such an acclaimed speaker was sounding so unimpressive, because this forum is full of recommendations for the Wharfedale. Anyway after a couple of songs, we stopped
Equipment Denon 15/17/1913 dont remember exactly, but it was a Denon
Price Didnt bother asking

Paradigm Monitor 7
From Wharfdale, we switched to the Monitor 7s. Now this was more like it - everything the Wharfedales werent. We played some Bela Fleck on it to check the bass and it handled it very good. Detail was very good, without sounding very bright. The bass was punchy, without overwhelming everything else like the Polks. Listening to all the tracks was a pleasure. We were very happy with the Paradigm Monitors
Equipment same Denon 15/17/1913 as above.
Price about Rs 68,000, did not bargain then

Klipsch RF-52
Venue shifted to The Shop in Andheri. The first speakers we tried were Klipsch RF-52s. They are smaller brother of the RF-82s. I wanted to try the Klipsch as I am a very satisfied owner of the Klipsch Image One headphones. However, the Klipsch wasnt good. Too bright and harsh, it wasnt enjoyable at all. We listened to a couple of songs and then moved on.
Price Around Rs 50,000

Polk TSi 500
We had a brief listen to the Polk TSi500, bigger brother of the 400s I had tried before. The sound was the same. Big bass but muddy, overpowering other frequencies.
Did not discuss price as we werent interested

Canton
We were offered a Canton floorstander the staff was too busy on a Saturday and we werent even told what model it was. The speaker wasnt placed in any ideal position and it was a very haphazard listen. We were somewhat put off by the lack of interest by the staff. Did not listen too long or check prices just left

Boston Acoustics A360
I listened to it at MZ Global, Marantzs official distributor in India. The speakers are quite big in size. I hadnt got my xtreamer with me, so we listened to some audio cds. It wasnt as good as the Paradigm Monitor 7s, didnt catch your attention with superb detail, but there wasnt anything obviously lacking in the speaker. Good bass, reasonably detailed and not very bright comfortable to listen. Video sounded quite good, though slightly less than the Paradigms.
But overall a very well rounded speaker, quite liked it, esp with its price.
Equipment Marantz PM6004 player and Marantz NR1601 AVR
Price around Rs 45,000, and just Rs 25,000 for the AVR (it was a very good combination and the Marantz was driving it very well)

Although the Boston Acoustics was my second preference, the price point was very attractive Id get both the AVR and the speakers for the same price as my first preference the Paradigm Monitor 7.

However at this point I had to take a few months break as other things came up. Then I restarted in Feb

Monitor Audio MR4
Venue : Imperial Sound. Monitor Audios emerging markets offering, the MR4 is very attractively priced. The internet reviews painted is as a rebadged BR bronze series (replaced subsequently by the BX series). The Bronze series had been rated very well, so I was quite enthusiastic about them. When we listened to them, with the xtreamer, the speaker sounded a little underwhelming, compared to our benchmark, the Paradigms. There wasnt enough clarity, bass was slightly underpowered, and overall somewhat low involvement. On the plus side, it was a very soothing speaker to listen to absolutely no harshness.
Equipment Yamaha 3xxx AVR (very high end)
Price Rs around 38,000

Monitor Audio BX-5
The BX series is almost the same size as the MR4s, but what a difference! The same tracks seemed richer, more lively and more involving on the BX-5s. Bass was more punchy, clarity was good, without sounding harsh. It played the bass-heavy Bela Fleck tracks very well. Instrumental was very good too, a very likeable speaker. We rated it at par with our benchmark, the Paradigm Monitor 7s
Equipment : same Yamaha high end AVR
Price Rs 69,000

Dali Zensor 5
Our last stop was The Den, Worli. Dali Zensor 5s are the smallest floorstanders we saw, smaller than the MR4s, which are quite diminutive. But the first track we played, we were blown away. The track sounded so much richer, the bass detailed, with each different drum beat clear from the other. We could make out 4 different drums/percussion instruments in the track, which werent so clear in any other speaker. The top end wasnt held back either. Detail was magnificent and the playback overall had a certain musicality to it that made it very enjoyable. I do not know how to describe it else the same tracks from the same source just sound sweeter on it
Equipment Denon X1000
Price Rs 55,000 (before discount)

Me and my colleague both agreed it was the best speaker we'd heard so far - better than the Paradigms and the Monitor Audio, so we decided to seal it. Thrashed out the discounts and agreed on delivery date (two days later).

However, next day when I call up the salesperson to discuss delivery time, he says he is out of stock and so is the distributor. Ask him about the demo piece he says it was bought after I left by friends of the owner. It would take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for fresh stock to arrive. He suggests I upgrade to the higher version, the Zensor 7. Price Rs 70,000. Could I have a demo? No, they didnt have one in stock and they didnt want to buy it from the distributor just for a demo if I wasnt guaranteeing that I was buying it
I was appalled by this unprofessionalism. I thanked God I hadnt paid them yet. I enquired at other Dali dealers in the city, but all of them confirmed that the Zensor 5s were indeed out of stock

Dali Zensor 7
After the bad experience with The Den, checked Boomerang and they had Zensor 7 in stock and were happy to let me hear them. Took the same tracks on the xtreamer and tried them. Sounded just as good as the Zensor 5s, but with more power, slightly stronger bass. Still much better than the runners up Paradigm Monitor 7s and Monitor Audio BX5s.
Equipment Denon X1000
Price Rs 70,000

Boomerang confirmed that it would take minimum of 6 weeks for next consignment of Zensor 5s to arrive. I didnt want to wait 6 more weeks. But Zensor 7s was 15,000 more than the Zensor 5s. The 7s had more power, but I didnt really need the extra power

Finally greed won over and I decided I didnt want to wait 2 months more when I had waited this long. So I made the payment and Boomerang delivered two days later at my residence. Bought 2m of speaker cable for each speaker since I just needed them to be next to the TV. The AVR is the Denon X1000.

They sound as good as they look, with instrumental tracks sounding exceptional. Pacific Rim, the Hong Kong sequence, each step of the Jaeger running towards the kaiju went boom boom and reverbating in my living room.
My tv cabinet needs a little tinkering before the AVR is placed properly. Hence not playing for more than a couple of hours at a stretch. Once that is taken care of, will burn in properly for 3-4 days. And will give more detailed review

Discovered something very quickly though people who say there is negligible difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLACs, listen to them on good speakers and then youll know :)

DaliZensor7_zps64a71be1.jpg

now this is called one heck of audition list before buying... wish all of us had such options available in Hyderabad to listen all these models...

congrats and dali 7 are very well raved of speakers and a very good buy...

and yes if listened carefully flac does make a difference...

the hollow imaging is gone and the vocal seem solid with good music sounding full bodied...

Thanks grunthos for the beautiful audition report.

A forum becomes popular because of contributions from members like you. Thanks!

Regards,
BK

Congrats...

I have heard the zensor 5's and they were good... Zensor 7 must be even better :)

When i went auditioning, i checked out 2-3 brands and settled for zensor 3 based 5.1 setup...

You seem to have a very nice AV unit. Can you please post some more snaps from various angles? Is it custom made?

After more than two years of reading other users experiences with different speakers and amplifiers, and drawing on the forums collective wisdom, this weekend I finally got my first set of hifi speakers

When I started out in Oct last year, I knew I wanted 2 floorstanders only.

Reasons are as follows
- I live in a rented apartment, so 5.1 was out of the question as wiring etc is too much of a hassle, esp since I have to change apartment in a few years
- The bookshelves + subwoofer option was explored, but setup (crossover) and placement was still a hassle compared to the floorstanders. Plus floorstanders are more stable than bookshelves on stands
- The listening point is 15ft away from the speakers. Plus there is an open kitchen, effectively making it 16x16 ft room. I felt a floorstander would fill the room better
- Also, floorstanders look much better than bookshelves :)

The budget was to be around 50k for floorstanders and about 40k for matching AVR. Reasons for choosing AVR (vs stereo amplifier) is because we watch a lot of TV shows/movies more video than music. I have a dedicated HTPC as source, along with a Dish TV HD and a Xbox. A stereo amplifier would have sounded sweeter, but it wouldnt have handled video and routing everything through the TV would have been another hassle

I had formed a shortlist and started auditions in Oct but had to pause for a few months as some unexpected expenses came up. I am posting my views on the various speakers I had a chance to listen to, hoping other members might find it useful like I did. Also, since some of the auditions were done almost 6 months back, I am a little hazy on details of some of the speakers (esp the ones I didnt like :D). I live in Mumbai

Polk TSi 400
I began at ProFX, because they conveniently have a outlet in a mall close to my house. I had carried some audio cds, mostly hindi. The music sounded fine (but not wow) to me back then. Listened to 3-4 songs, then asked if they have something for video. They played the DVD of Transformers. It was then I got wowed by the speaker. The booms, the shattering everything was very immersive and thoroughly enjoyable.
Equipment Denon 1713 and Denon CDP/DVD source
Price around Rs 40,000 with a 10% discount offered

KEF Q500
After the Polks, I tried the KEF Q500. Although they were priced much higher, they were rated more highly on the internet. The moment they switched on the KEFs, I realized I had developed a headache from listening to the Polks ! The KEFs in comparison were much more mellow. Listening to music was very soothing, but overall I thought it was lacking a little punch. It was confirmed after watching Transformers. The bass was just not there and there was no fun in watching Optimus Prime and Megatron beat the crap out of each other
Equipment was the same
Price Around Rs 68,000 with the same 10% discount

Tannoy Mercury V4
One of my speakers I was looking forward to was the Tannoy Mercury V4s. They were priced very attractively and had won awards as best entry level floorstanders. I got in touch with Alliance 4, who unfortunately said he didnt have them in stock. But we could demo it, as he had one demo piece in his godown in Vasai somewhere and he would bring it for us.
However when we landed up for audition, we were told there was some issue about getting it across Dahisar for some octroi tax bullshit. Bottom line it wasnt available. Subsequently I followed up for two weeks but it was never available and stocks werent coming anytime soon because of a model upgrade from V4 to V4i. The dealer never came back to me subsequently
Price : acc to the dealer Rs 37,000

Wharfedale Diamond 10.4
Disappointed, we decided to try out the other floorstanders he had. The Wharfedales were first. This time I was carrying music on a xtreamer and I had a colleague accompanying me he is an amateur musician, so he his comments were quite useful. The Wharfedales were easily the worst speaker we heard in our entire audition. I do not know if something was wrong in the setup, or the speakers, but it sounded dull and lifeless and just plain ordinary. I was very surprised that such an acclaimed speaker was sounding so unimpressive, because this forum is full of recommendations for the Wharfedale. Anyway after a couple of songs, we stopped
Equipment Denon 15/17/1913 dont remember exactly, but it was a Denon
Price Didnt bother asking

Paradigm Monitor 7
From Wharfdale, we switched to the Monitor 7s. Now this was more like it - everything the Wharfedales werent. We played some Bela Fleck on it to check the bass and it handled it very good. Detail was very good, without sounding very bright. The bass was punchy, without overwhelming everything else like the Polks. Listening to all the tracks was a pleasure. We were very happy with the Paradigm Monitors
Equipment same Denon 15/17/1913 as above.
Price about Rs 68,000, did not bargain then

Klipsch RF-52
Venue shifted to The Shop in Andheri. The first speakers we tried were Klipsch RF-52s. They are smaller brother of the RF-82s. I wanted to try the Klipsch as I am a very satisfied owner of the Klipsch Image One headphones. However, the Klipsch wasnt good. Too bright and harsh, it wasnt enjoyable at all. We listened to a couple of songs and then moved on.
Price Around Rs 50,000

Polk TSi 500
We had a brief listen to the Polk TSi500, bigger brother of the 400s I had tried before. The sound was the same. Big bass but muddy, overpowering other frequencies.
Did not discuss price as we werent interested

Canton
We were offered a Canton floorstander the staff was too busy on a Saturday and we werent even told what model it was. The speaker wasnt placed in any ideal position and it was a very haphazard listen. We were somewhat put off by the lack of interest by the staff. Did not listen too long or check prices just left

Boston Acoustics A360
I listened to it at MZ Global, Marantzs official distributor in India. The speakers are quite big in size. I hadnt got my xtreamer with me, so we listened to some audio cds. It wasnt as good as the Paradigm Monitor 7s, didnt catch your attention with superb detail, but there wasnt anything obviously lacking in the speaker. Good bass, reasonably detailed and not very bright comfortable to listen. Video sounded quite good, though slightly less than the Paradigms.
But overall a very well rounded speaker, quite liked it, esp with its price.
Equipment Marantz PM6004 player and Marantz NR1601 AVR
Price around Rs 45,000, and just Rs 25,000 for the AVR (it was a very good combination and the Marantz was driving it very well)

Although the Boston Acoustics was my second preference, the price point was very attractive Id get both the AVR and the speakers for the same price as my first preference the Paradigm Monitor 7.

However at this point I had to take a few months break as other things came up. Then I restarted in Feb

Monitor Audio MR4
Venue : Imperial Sound. Monitor Audios emerging markets offering, the MR4 is very attractively priced. The internet reviews painted is as a rebadged BR bronze series (replaced subsequently by the BX series). The Bronze series had been rated very well, so I was quite enthusiastic about them. When we listened to them, with the xtreamer, the speaker sounded a little underwhelming, compared to our benchmark, the Paradigms. There wasnt enough clarity, bass was slightly underpowered, and overall somewhat low involvement. On the plus side, it was a very soothing speaker to listen to absolutely no harshness.
Equipment Yamaha 3xxx AVR (very high end)
Price Rs around 38,000

Monitor Audio BX-5
The BX series is almost the same size as the MR4s, but what a difference! The same tracks seemed richer, more lively and more involving on the BX-5s. Bass was more punchy, clarity was good, without sounding harsh. It played the bass-heavy Bela Fleck tracks very well. Instrumental was very good too, a very likeable speaker. We rated it at par with our benchmark, the Paradigm Monitor 7s
Equipment : same Yamaha high end AVR
Price Rs 69,000

Dali Zensor 5
Our last stop was The Den, Worli. Dali Zensor 5s are the smallest floorstanders we saw, smaller than the MR4s, which are quite diminutive. But the first track we played, we were blown away. The track sounded so much richer, the bass detailed, with each different drum beat clear from the other. We could make out 4 different drums/percussion instruments in the track, which werent so clear in any other speaker. The top end wasnt held back either. Detail was magnificent and the playback overall had a certain musicality to it that made it very enjoyable. I do not know how to describe it else the same tracks from the same source just sound sweeter on it
Equipment Denon X1000
Price Rs 55,000 (before discount)

Me and my colleague both agreed it was the best speaker we'd heard so far - better than the Paradigms and the Monitor Audio, so we decided to seal it. Thrashed out the discounts and agreed on delivery date (two days later).

However, next day when I call up the salesperson to discuss delivery time, he says he is out of stock and so is the distributor. Ask him about the demo piece he says it was bought after I left by friends of the owner. It would take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for fresh stock to arrive. He suggests I upgrade to the higher version, the Zensor 7. Price Rs 70,000. Could I have a demo? No, they didnt have one in stock and they didnt want to buy it from the distributor just for a demo if I wasnt guaranteeing that I was buying it
I was appalled by this unprofessionalism. I thanked God I hadnt paid them yet. I enquired at other Dali dealers in the city, but all of them confirmed that the Zensor 5s were indeed out of stock

Dali Zensor 7
After the bad experience with The Den, checked Boomerang and they had Zensor 7 in stock and were happy to let me hear them. Took the same tracks on the xtreamer and tried them. Sounded just as good as the Zensor 5s, but with more power, slightly stronger bass. Still much better than the runners up Paradigm Monitor 7s and Monitor Audio BX5s.
Equipment Denon X1000
Price Rs 70,000

Boomerang confirmed that it would take minimum of 6 weeks for next consignment of Zensor 5s to arrive. I didnt want to wait 6 more weeks. But Zensor 7s was 15,000 more than the Zensor 5s. The 7s had more power, but I didnt really need the extra power

Finally greed won over and I decided I didnt want to wait 2 months more when I had waited this long. So I made the payment and Boomerang delivered two days later at my residence. Bought 2m of speaker cable for each speaker since I just needed them to be next to the TV. The AVR is the Denon X1000.

They sound as good as they look, with instrumental tracks sounding exceptional. Pacific Rim, the Hong Kong sequence, each step of the Jaeger running towards the kaiju went boom boom and reverbating in my living room.
My tv cabinet needs a little tinkering before the AVR is placed properly. Hence not playing for more than a couple of hours at a stretch. Once that is taken care of, will burn in properly for 3-4 days. And will give more detailed review

Discovered something very quickly though people who say there is negligible difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLACs, listen to them on good speakers and then youll know :)

DaliZensor7_zps64a71be1.jpg

You are the first person who had headaches after hearing tsi 400 and tsi 500 .TSI 500 is one of the top fs. Moreover did you auditioned the new TSX 550 and 440s . Anyway congrats for Dali 7.

Congratulations! The 7s are way, way better than the 5s. How much is the Zensor Centre selling for these days?

Congratulations on your setup & also for an awesome review.
Will surely help lot of other people like me who will be doing new HT setup soon.

Thanks a ton !

Congrats grunthos,I agree with most of you views about different speakers.Dali Zensor range is very musical and detailed.

You are the first person who had headaches after hearing tsi 400 and tsi 500 .TSI 500 is one of the top fs. Moreover did you auditioned the new TSX 550 and 440s . Anyway congrats for Dali 7.

polk are HT speakers at least the Tsi series..

Hey Grunthos
Is the price including Denon X1000 Receiver?

And thanx for such a wonderful preview...

that's just for the speakers..

Congratulations! That's one long list of speakers that you have auditioned before taking a decision. Wise choice with the Dalis.

Best,
APK

@ OP ....You have somehow mixed Movies and Music in the same audition and bracket, that's..................well not the way it should be ..... though subjective, a speaker will sound totally different given different scenarios. Movies and music should not be mixed, specially in such a comprehensive audition and review, for that matter.

Polk Tsx 300,330,400,550, I have auditioned all and none for me sounded good on stereo music, but were THE BEST when it came to movies, they just rocked in a 5.1/7.1 setup with a decent sub. Even the all mighty B&W, that I auditioned were not close to Polks in an HT setup. The staging of the complete Cinema was too impressive. The only other setup I enjoyed after polk when it came to movies were with AAD speakers (dont remember the exact model). (less known but rocked)

Things became totally different when it came to Music, Polks were not at all impressive. AAD were okie, Dali were pretty good, the ikon series.

You missed auditioning two major brands , which made the day for me as far as Music goes in 50K-1L category.....

1. Quad
2. EPOS.

Both just blew me off when played High Quality audio CDs/or FLACs for that matter.

Qual 11L, 22L, sounded just amazing.(the new 22L2, 11L2 are supposed to be even better) Quad were the best book shelves I have ever auditioned (in music (thats the keyword here)). Then EPOS, m22i, Epic 5, m12i, were simple too good. Among the two I enjoyed EPOS floor stands better than QUAD, but QUAD Bookshelves .........man no book shelves even came close to it.

Coming to Wharfedale , again there is a flaw how you segregate. You are comparing a 70K+ speakers with a 35-40K speakers. For me Wharfedale 10.4 are THE BEST floorstands under 40K category for Music. For Movies as far as I am concerned nothing beats polk from as low as 20K to 1L and even more I guess.

Excluding the ever elite series like Martin Logan ...etc

Regards
sammy

Last edited:
Sam9s - Even though your advice is quite accurate, I guess the fact remains that there are quite a few users (including me) who would end up using the same speakers for both movies/music because of various constraints. The usage would be in different ratios, but unfortunately (at least in my case), I do not have the luxury of ideally having two different set ups for music and movies, so I would also end up auditioning both movies/music, if I upgrade in the future.

Can someone explain how some speakers are better for music and some for movies? I can imagine that the more musical speakers may have a bit of mellowness to them but the ones for the movies are very transparent and neutral. I am really curious about this.

now this is called one heck of audition list before buying... wish all of us had such options available in Hyderabad to listen all these models...

congrats and dali 7 are very well raved of speakers and a very good buy...

and yes if listened carefully flac does make a difference...

the hollow imaging is gone and the vocal seem solid with good music sounding full bodied...

Thank you. Yes being in Mumbai has its advantages in choice, but it is totally offset by the tiny size of apartments
I myself was in the camp which thought high bitrate mp3s amd FLACs were not really different. Not anymore :)

Thanks grunthos for the beautiful audition report.

A forum becomes popular because of contributions from members like you. Thanks!

Thank you. I really benefited from reading about speaker buying experience of a lot of forum members. I am hoping my experience would also be helpful to someone else

Congrats...

I have heard the zensor 5's and they were good... Zensor 7 must be even better :)

When i went auditioning, i checked out 2-3 brands and settled for zensor 3 based 5.1 setup...

I am sure the 5.1 sounds even better. If you dont mind my asking, how much did the 5.1 set cost ? Not that I am buying immediately, but good to know ...

You seem to have a very nice AV unit. Can you please post some more snaps from various angles? Is it custom made?

Thank you. I think the photograph is to blame - it is making it look nicer than it is :) It is a readymade AV stand bought from the local furniture shop. I will post better pictures in the weekend

Thank you. I thought the Polks were at par with the best if not better in video playback. But music playback was "muddy" sounding - not enough clarity. And with bass heavy tracks, the bass just overpowered the mids and the highs.
And the headache thing is very personal I guess. But couldnt take a chance with speakers which caused a headache in 20 min of listening :)

Congratulations! The 7s are way, way better than the 5s. How much is the Zensor Centre selling for these days?
I actually didnt ask for anything apart from the floorstanders.

Congratulations on your setup & also for an awesome review.
Will surely help lot of other people like me who will be doing new HT setup soon.

Thanks a ton !
Thank you. Hope it helps out some people

Hey Grunthos
Is the price including Denon X1000 Receiver?

And thanx for such a wonderful preview...
No the price is for speakers only. I was quoted 70k for the Zensor 7s and 41k for the Denon X1000. After all discounts - and include speaker cable @ 250/m - it cost me 98k total

Well done buddy...Probably the most exhaustive list of auditions for a FS.....& congrats on your new set up :clapping:
Thank you. Your words mean a lot

Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing your experience. Would like to see more photos :-,

Regards,
Antony
Thank you Antony. Will try over the weekend

Congrats grunthos,I agree with most of you views about different speakers.Dali Zensor range is very musical and detailed.
Thank you. And I am so glad you agree with most of my views (I bet Wharfedale was the discordant note :) )

Welcome to the Club Dali! You will be all the more proud on your decision with each passing day.
Thank you. I am sure I will. Which Dalis do you have ?

Congratulations! That's one long list of speakers that you have auditioned before taking a decision. Wise choice with the Dalis.

Best,
APK
Thank you. And when I heard the Dali, I knew my search was over :)

@ OP ....You have somehow mixed Movies and Music in the same audition and bracket, that's..................well not the way it should be ..... though subjective, a speaker will sound totally different given different scenarios. Movies and music should not be mixed, specially in such a comprehensive audition and review, for that matter.

Polk Tsx 300,330,400,550, I have auditioned all and none for me sounded good on stereo music, but were THE BEST when it came to movies, they just rocked in a 5.1/7.1 setup with a decent sub. Even the all mighty B&W, that I auditioned were not close to Polks in an HT setup. The staging of the complete Cinema was too impressive. The only other setup I enjoyed after polk when it came to movies were with AAD speakers (dont remember the exact model). (less known but rocked)

Things became totally different when it came to Music, Polks were not at all impressive. AAD were okie, Dali were pretty good, the ikon series.

You missed auditioning two major brands , which made the day for me as far as Music goes in 50K-1L category.....

1. Quad
2. EPOS.

Both just blew me off when played High Quality audio CDs/or FLACs for that matter.

Qual 11L, 22L, sounded just amazing.(the new 22L2, 11L2 are supposed to be even better) Quad were the best book shelves I have ever auditioned (in music (thats the keyword here)). Then EPOS, m22i, Epic 5, m12i, were simple too good. Among the two I enjoyed EPOS floor stands better than QUAD, but QUAD Bookshelves .........man no book shelves even came close to it.

Coming to Wharfedale , again there is a flaw how you segregate. You are comparing a 70K+ speakers with a 35-40K speakers. For me Wharfedale 10.4 are THE BEST floorstands under 40K category for Music. For Movies as far as I am concerned nothing beats polk from as low as 20K to 1L and even more I guess.

Excluding the ever elite series like Martin Logan ...etc

Regards
sammy
Yes I managed to miss Quad, but at the beginning of my search, I was looking in the 50k range. And when I had enquired about Quads, I was quoted north of 80k. It was beyond my budget then
Same with the Focals - they had discotinued the 714 in India and the 716 was quoting north of 80k
EPOS somehow I missed - not much mindshare I guess
I had intended on check Q Acoustics 2050 too, but that also did not happen. But then, even though ideally we should check out ALL options, we are imperfect, and with the Dalis it was instant love

And as far as your frowning on mixing music and movies ............. I am sure you understand fiscal constraints. Keeping two separate systems, one for music and one for movies, is not feasible - dont even have the space in the house. So it has to be one system - and I have to strike a right balance with both. Just like one would want to drive a car which goes from 0-100 in under 6 secs, but still want 15+ kmpl.

As you pointed out, Polks are leaning a little too heavily towards movies. Dalis I thought were closest to the balance I wanted. Very sweet sounding, and with the 7s, very good oomph in the movies too.

Also, wouldnt you agree that 50k is not an inconsiderable sum of money ? If I was going to spend that much, I'd really like sound which would .... sound "worth 50k". Apart from the Boston Acoustics A360, none of the sub 50k speakers sounded any better than what I'd get from a HTIB. So I had to up my budget and look at 60-70k speakers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back