See lyrics on Smart TV as I stream music to Pi

aurobindosaha

Hi

Is there a way I can see lyrics of a song as I stream music to (Raspberry PI) streamer?

There is an app - MusicMatch which can use phone's microphone to listen to the song and show the Lyrics on Phone's screen.

How can I show on TV instead? Seeking your expert advice.

My Set Up

• Google Music - Wifi Router - Raspberry Pi Streamer - DAC - AMP - Speakers
  • TV - Wifi Router
  • Phone - Wifi Router - Raspberry Pi
  1. Google Music is source. I also use a USB drive connected to Raspberry Pi directly as source.
  2. Phone is just the controller to play music in Rasperry Pi. My Raspberry Pi has RuneAudio installed. I also use Bubble UPnP as stream controlling interface.
  3. TV is just the screen to see lyrics (this is the hurdle I want to overcome)

Thanks
Auro

Hi...Why can't you connect Raspberry pi to your TV, and install android ROM on raspberry pi itself and use MusicMatch which you say works as per your liking?
Ofcourse you can continue to connect the Pi to your Amp and speakers as well.

Thanks!

Hi

Super guidance. Thanks darkblack.

1. First step of connecting Pi to TV done
2. Trying to figure out a way for dual OS in Pi .... Will let you know if I succeed.

Unfortunately pi does not have a microphone .... It's needed for musicmix app to "listen" to the song before it can start identifying it. Will cross that hurdle later.

Hi...Why can't you connect Raspberry pi to your TV, and install android ROM on raspberry pi itself and use MusicMatch which you say works as per your liking?
Ofcourse you can continue to connect the Pi to your Amp and speakers as well.

Thanks!

Hi
While I was stuck with the problem of not having a microphone on RaspberryPi for Musixmatch to "listen" to the song and get the lyrics.
Then I thought about installing Musixmatch in my TV, because my LG TV has a microphone. Unfortunately, LG WebOS does not have Musixmatch in LG App Store :(

It then occurred to me that my friend had gifted a MK901 Google Android Mini PC. Its a android device, that runs Google TV OS and can install app via Google Playstore. I plugged it in to my TV HDMI and powered it using USB. This device too did not have in-built microphone, but I anyway went ahead to install BubbleUpNP, Google Music and Musixmatch on this device.

I turn on the TV, Go to HDMI input that has this Mini PC, and launch Google Music.
I then select the song and share it through BubbleUPNP to render (output) on my Swara Streamer.
Musixmatch has a FloatingLyrics feature, that gets activated when you play music from popular apps such as Google Play.
In my case Musixmatch smartly identified the lyrics of the song launched from Google Music.
Now as I hear the song from my Hifi channel (GoogleMusic>RaspberryPi Streamer>AP DAC>AP Amp>AP Speaker ... and offcourse AP interconnect) ..... I can also see the lyrics on my TV.
Check out this video I uploaded to YouTube

Lyrics of song displayed on TV while it plays on Hifi

Note, since I had no microphone, I had to manually scroll.

Now let me take to next level - understanding the meaning the songs. I love Sufi but I do not understand the language. Musixmatch has a fantastic feature to display the meaning of foreign language songs. The meanings are not only shown in English, but are translated to a language of your choice. They have many language options.
Please check this video to see the power of Musixmatch:

Lyrics, meaning and translation of song displayed on TV while the song plays on Hifi

Hope you will like it.

Thanks
Auro

Nice find. Will try this. However I have a problem multi-tasking reading and listening at the same time!!!. Maybe will do it as a two step process!!!!

Nice find. Will try this. However I have a problem multi-tasking reading and listening at the same time!!!. Maybe will do it as a two step process!!!!
Sure ... I too can't multitask. What happens is I listen to the song many times. I do not try to get to the meaning of words. The sound and melodies get written to my mind. And one fine morning ... And wake up and while humming the never understood words ... I ask myself ... What a beautiful phoenix and syllables the language has. What do they mean? And then I dig to the song to understand it's meaning. Sometimes I dig to understand the background and situation how the song was born. Music discovery is a enchanting thing.

Thanks
Auro

Hi
Good news. RuneAudio 0.4 has lyrics feature. I may be able to get rid of Musixmatch om Android altogether. I will check the beta version of Rune 0.4 and share how strong is the lyrics feature.

RuneAudio 0.4 beta

file.php

file.php

Thanks
Auro

Hi
Did anyone find a better solution to show scrolling lyrics on TV synced with song played from RPI streamers?

Kind regards
Aurobindo
By the way, I forgot to mention, I do not use Google Music any longer.... I use Spotify, they have lyrics support in phone from where the songs are played, but I do not see a way to show the lyrics on TV. I am avoiding 'casting' entire phone screen to TV.

Why don't you try Kodi or LibreELEC on Pi. It has an audio player which can stream over local network or play from USB and it has addons to display lyrics. It also has LibreSpot addon to play from Spotify. The lyrics addon works with that as well, even if it's a bit of a hit and miss at times, at least for Hindi songs. Mostly works fine with English songs.

Why don't you try Kodi or LibreELEC on Pi. It has an audio player which can stream over local network or play from USB and it has addons to display lyrics. It also has LibreSpot addon to play from Spotify. The lyrics addon works with that as well, even if it's a bit of a hit and miss at times, at least for Hindi songs. Mostly works fine with English songs.
Any degradation of sound quality compared to playing music from MDP of VolumIO ?

Any degradation of sound quality compared to playing music from MDP of VolumIO ?
Can't really say. I personally don't hear any difference, but my equipment isn't all that high end.

To be sure, I do hear a huge difference between eARC and direct to AVR signals (not the delivery, but TV's pre-processing ruins it). I also hear a huge difference between cable and Bluetooth. But I can't tell the difference between 320 kbps/V0 MP3 and FLAC, nor can I tell the difference between Volumio/Moode Audio (Pi Zero) and LibreELEC (Pi 4).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back