Selection of 32 inch LCD TV

Shashi

Hello Guys,

I am planning to buy a 32 inch LCD TV. I have shortlisted following models.

1. Sony EX400 Series Full HD model KLV-32EX400 - 39.9 K
2. Samsung Series 5 - LA32C530F1R - 39K

Price wise there is not much in difference.

Can you please help me in deciding which is better.
1) Are these 2 models available for even better price in bangalore
2) can i play , divx, avi, mkv formats directly using USB pen drive.
3) How is the sound quality?

Owners please comment.

Thanks,
Shashi

Hello Guys,

I am planning to buy a 32 inch LCD TV. I have shortlisted following models.

1. Sony EX400 Series Full HD model KLV-32EX400 - 39.9 K
2. Samsung Series 5 - LA32C530F1R - 39K

Price wise there is not much in difference.

Can you please help me in deciding which is better.
1) Are these 2 models available for even better price in bangalore
2) can i play , divx, avi, mkv formats directly using USB pen drive.
3) How is the sound quality?

Owners please comment.

Thanks,
Shashi

Well the samsung 530 can be bargained down a bit more.Only the sony can be had for a cheaper price provided you buy them in grey market located in gandhinagar.Infact for the same price as what you pay in showroom for 32" EX400 you can get a 32" EX500 in grey market ,40" EX400 for 44k.

No idea about USB playback but samsung should support more formats then sony,but i believe sony does support AVHCD.

if your primary requirement is playing mkv/mp4/avi on HDD via TV's USB port then get c530..

if you are planning to get a dedicated media player then go for sony ex400..
it has matte screen and more reliable than samsung..

c530 should be around ~35K.. so bargain..
Sony I don't think you can bargain :( ..

For 39k'ish, I'd advise you to buy a 42" 720p plasma (LG PJxxx is in that range, I believe). This is a case, IMHO, where size trumps screen resolution.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

Yes, i am considering buying C530 and the price seems to be in the range of 36-39k between different shops after bargaining.

with different offers like SUNDTH, d2h from videocon or 5.1 sound system being given for free.

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you. I was considering Samsung series 5 (LA32C530F1R), Sony KLV-32E400 and Sony KLV-32NX500. All are full-hd models with comparable picture quality.

Just my background: I had bought a Panasonic Viera 32" (32LM60) model 4 years ago. It conked off (panel problem) about 2 years ago. The cost of fixing (replacing) the panel was quoted at more than half the original TV price. I did not fix the TV and instead bought a 19" LCD TV.

Now I need another TV. So was planning to buy one in exchange for the Panasonic.

Due to the history, reliability is top of my priority list. We have good experience with lots of Sony products. Hence, my wife is adamant on a Sony TV.

I researched the reliability of Samsung TVs. Found these issues common with Samsung TVs: Samsung Panel Lottery, Capacitor bulge problem. More over most review for the Samsung 5 series were for the 32A530 or 32B530. No information about what was the difference in the panels for the C530 as against these two. Hence dropped it from my list. No such major problems were reported for Sony Bravia models.

I initially wanted the buy 32NX500. But the TV has reflection problems. And there is no difference in the specs as compared to 32EX400 (apart from a swivel stand and an extra on/off button on remote). And the 32EX400 also looks pretty good to me.

Hence, I have decided on the Sony 32EX400 due to my priorities.

Now, for your question:
Sony can only play MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video from USB. No other video formats are supported. The Samsung on the other hand supports most format such as DivX, Xvid, MKV, etc.

The sound quality (not loudness) is average on all above LCD TVs. However, it seems discernible for most TV programs. Not a differentiator in my opinion.

- Prasad.

Now, for your question:
Sony can only play MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video from USB. No other video formats are supported. The Samsung on the other hand supports most format such as DivX, Xvid, MKV, etc.

The sound quality (not loudness) is average on all above LCD TVs. However, it seems discernible for most TV programs. Not a differentiator in my opinion.

- Prasad.

Well i remember seeing the pdf brochure posted by some one here that said that it can play Mpeg4,DIVX, and AVHCD.

Well i remember seeing the pdf brochure posted by some one here that said that it can play Mpeg4,DIVX, and AVHCD.

This confusion typically stems from the fact that Sony has two streams of product in the worldwide market: KDL-32EX400 and KLV-32EX400.

The first is made for digital TV standards and supports the advanced codecs via USB. The second (and the one available in India) is made for analog transmissions and does not support the advanced codecs. (Comparison of the two models)

I have seen many people mixing the specs for the above two.

- Prasad.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hence, I have decided on the Sony 32EX400 due to my priorities.

- Prasad.

Hi dude,

I think samsung is the leader in lcd segment and feature and price wise it is best choice.If you compare feature and cost saving of samsung model it is almost half the price of sony lcd for example you can get Rs.6000 less for equivalent samsung model (c530) and also you can play almost all leading formats like mp4 and mkv (I personally checked these features) except flag format (in fact flag support is not make big sense because we won't like to use tv to listen songs without video) there is digital audio out so you can output the mkv and all other formats audio even dts to AVR ( so there is cost saving in power cost and purchasing cost of WDTV like player so around Rs.7000 cost saving in WDTV purchase).

Sony 32EX400 - Rs.40000 + WDTV ... - Rs.7000 = Rs.47000
Samsung 32c530 = Rs.34000

So Actual cost of Samsung considering its usability term = Rs.20000

Sony may be good choice in old time(CRT TV) because the technology improvement is slow in that period of time.But nowadays there is rapid development in technology so usability and cost saving as well as quality is important.I did not hear major complaint about samsung lcd so most probably we will get life span of around 10 years.You can even double the money (cost saving of Rs.13000) in bank FD.In ten year time there will be tremendous improvement in television industry like OLED,HDMI 4,USB 3, 3D like that your current tv most probably looks like useless.So in my opinion samsung (LA32C530) is best choice comparing with sony (Sony 32EX400).

@rajuwaste

Thanks for your detailed inputs. I agree with you that the Samsung is more value for money (feature-wise).

However for my "peace of mind", I think I will still stick to Sony.

- Prasad.

@rajuwaste:

Indeed your comment clarified several doubts that i had.

My main use case is, i want to play divx, xvid,avi ,mpeg formatted movies ( Hollywood and Bollywood). These days very good prints are available on net after 1/2 weeks for all the films.

If this is handled along with other HDTV features , then that's all i need.

Thanks again

@rajuwaste:

Indeed your comment clarified several doubts that i had.

My main use case is, i want to play divx, xvid,avi ,mpeg formatted movies ( Hollywood and Bollywood). These days very good prints are available on net after 1/2 weeks for all the films.

If this is handled along with other HDTV features , then that's all i need.

Thanks again

Since you are in bangalore did you consider buying the in grey market the sony wins hands down in VFM,you can even get the KDL version with built in DVB-T tuners in grey market.

This confusion typically stems from the fact that Sony has two streams of product in the worldwide market: KDL-32EX400 and KLV-32EX400.

I have seen many people mixing the specs for the above two.

- Prasad.

Well even in the paper copy of the indian brochure if i remember correctly i think they did mention the same it plays the other formats as mentioned in KDL version.
Anyway better to check them in showroom.

@adder : no, i have not considered this option

you can even get the KDL version with built in DVB-T tuners in grey market.
can you explain this in bit more detail.

more over, i am little hesitant to buy LCD Tvs from gray market.

@adder : no, i have not considered this option

you can even get the KDL version with built in DVB-T tuners in grey market.
can you explain this in bit more detail.

more over, i am little hesitant to buy LCD Tvs from gray market.

Well its the same imported sealed pieces that you get in showrooms,there are plenty of people who buy them in grey market.

Any particular shop in the gandhinagar area (Bangalore) for grey market? Any contact reference? Is buying LCD's from grey is really advisable? [Its understood no warranty. So what about after sales issues? Will the (sony/ samsung) service center encourage it?]

Any particular shop in the gandhinagar area (Bangalore) for grey market? Any contact reference? Is buying LCD's from grey is really advisable? [Its understood no warranty. So what about after sales issues? Will the (sony/ samsung) service center encourage it?]

Well yes the sony service will do a paid service.
The shops in sukh sagar mall are good.i and my friends usually buy from a guy called manish ,don't know whats the shop name but its on the ground floor towards the left side.

for how much you can get 40" ex400 there in grey market because here in delhi it is going for 45600

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back