Set top box with HDMI out

Haven't seen one yet so cant comment. Even Sun people dont have any clue about and with the price point they have its very very pricey and has just 2 HD channels that too tamil.

So till they make the market, dont even think about them

Haven't seen one yet so cant comment. Even Sun people dont have any clue about and with the price point they have its very very pricey and has just 2 HD channels that too tamil.

So till they make the market, dont even think about them

It will take it's own time to penetrate, Look at the Internet prices in India - Still at the higher end of spectrum. Also Sun provide Nat Geo in HD - But not worth the price of paying 10K for the box and monthly subscription.

Hmmm,But Is der any set top box with component output available for local cable transmission and not for these DTH providers? rite now i am using de one with Composite out. Also i heard dat Cicso set top boxes can be used with any service provider which has component out.Can anyone confirm on dis???

When Airtel IP TV was in it's testing stages, I had provided some consultancy to them. I had at the time recommended very strongly to them that their set-top boxes should have HDMI outputs. I also suggested that in case costing wqas an issue then they should maybe have two different set-top boxes, one catering to the mass market and the other, higher end set-top box, targeted at the premium customer. They had at the time agreed and said that they would implement this with the commercial launch. My relationship ended with them long before the commercial launch, due to delays with the project. Thus I was quite surprised that they did not go through with my recommendations, supposedly due to objections from higher ups in the marketing team.

It is strange that none of the DTH/IPTV companies have the foresight or the understnading of very basic marketing tenents. Can someone tell me what the USP (unique selling proposition) is of any of these companies. They all have the same product, with identical marketing strategies targetting exactly the same consumer. Why is it that not oneof them realizes that there is a premium customer (those who are buying expensive flat panel televisions), willing to pay a higher price for a better product. It seems due to the myopic marketing strategies of these companies, all they see is just the mass market consumer, who actually coststhemmoney to aquire. Thus like in most other spheres of Indian marketing, the strategies are based on the lowest common denominator.

Sanjay, I disagree with you. Whats the point in putting HDMI in a STB when the quality is below DVD quality.

Tell me something, with the existing PQ which is not even DVD quality you dont need HMDI at all. Though many advertise as DVD quality, it is much much inferior to DVD quality except for few channels. You can search our forum about this and we discussed this in detail.

Just bcos you have HDMI in your STB one is not going to get quality picture, until and unless they start transmitting 720p (actual 720p) or 1080i.

Infact, even when they start HD, if they transmit 1080i, even then Component is good enough but cable quality makes a difference so HDMI is better bcos of that.

So in sense, HDMI is not an requirement for any DTH operator until and unless they start doing doing. Till then Component is more tha enough. So I am not surprised they didnt go with HDMI as it makes no business sense in the current market .

Sanjay, I disagree with you. Whats the point in putting HDMI in a STB when the quality is below DVD quality.

Tell me something, with the existing PQ which is not even DVD quality you dont need HMDI at all. Though many advertise as DVD quality, it is much much inferior to DVD quality except for few channels. You can search our forum about this and we discussed this in detail.

Just bcos you have HDMI in your STB one is not going to get quality picture, until and unless they start transmitting 720p (actual 720p) or 1080i.

Infact, even when they start HD, if they transmit 1080i, even then Component is good enough but cable quality makes a difference so HDMI is better bcos of that.

So in sense, HDMI is not an requirement for any DTH operator until and unless they start doing doing. Till then Component is more tha enough. So I am not surprised they didnt go with HDMI as it makes no business sense in the current market .

However, purely from marketing POV they could make some moolah by advertising as HDMI box and calling it "future". Im sure there will be takers (misinformed, nevertheless) .
However one thing I always wondered. HDMI and Composite both can do 1080i, but dont you think HDMI is better owing to the fact that the video is infact in DVI format, where as Composite is analogue (which gets back to digital domain, thanks to a DNIE/Intelligent frame/Xd/BE processing)? So, perhaps some degradation to be expected?

However, purely from marketing POV they could make some moolah by advertising as HDMI box and calling it "future". Im sure there will be takers (misinformed, nevertheless) .
However one thing I always wondered. HDMI and Composite both can do 1080i, but dont you think HDMI is better owing to the fact that the video is infact in DVI format, where as Composite is analogue (which gets back to digital domain, thanks to a DNIE/Intelligent frame/Xd/BE processing)? So, perhaps some degradation to be expected?

Yes, for 1080 or for that matter anything above 720, HDMI is better like I stated, bcos in Analogue the cable quality matters in HDMI if the cable is compliant then irrespective of brand PQ will be super.

From a marketing strategy it is fine, but i am happy they didnt fool people saying that. All the existing STB do not have capability to decode HD so they cant advertise :)

MBR,

I am not sure its right. HDMI offers convenience and encryption but not necessarily better quality. Component signals can carry with eqvt quality over 1080p and this was discussed in some old thread and Optical/Digi Coax can give eqvt audio.

However, all devices may not do this to manage encryption so would transmit lower video signals over component but this may not be a factor of the cables themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong.

For common wealth games there will be hd transmission, maybe Airtel / Tata sky will offer.

Btw the new airtel pvr boxes will come with HDMI (maybe it can support HD also).

Lets wait. I don't see anyone with an Sun HD or any screen shots of it( I think it is like the dish tv dvr box which no one saw).

Also I read news that Discovery HD as been cleared for broadcast in India.

Regarding the Cable STB, it depends on the cable provider, if his channels are not encrypted (which I doubt) you can get generic cable boxes with component and tune channels.

Why even with Tata sky + you can tune to free channels of other providers (DD mostly).

For common wealth games there will be hd transmission, maybe Airtel / Tata sky will offer.

Btw the new airtel pvr boxes will come with HDMI (maybe it can support HD also).

Lets wait. I don't see anyone with an Sun HD or any screen shots of it( I think it is like the dish tv dvr box which no one saw).

Also I read news that Discovery HD as been cleared for broadcast in India.

Regarding the Cable STB, it depends on the cable provider, if his channels are not encrypted (which I doubt) you can get generic cable boxes with component and tune channels.

Why even with Tata sky + you can tune to free channels of other providers (DD mostly).

Hey thanks for ur reply.. I dont think Its encrypted ,cos i used two set top boxes of different makes and was able to tune all de channels in QAM64..But i have not seen ant set top box for Cable with component out..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back