sheffield test cd - My Disc.

Nice to know we have some common enemies :)

Are your trouser legs made in similar fashion? :D
Wonder why you ever did that ... :lol:

Is the Finolex wire twisted pair? I'm going to experiment too so would like to know if I can use it straight from the spindle or if I need to catch a local girl and practice some braiding on her hair ... ;)

Cheers

the finolex is tightly plaited - just like the plaits of the juvenile girls in goa with whom the paedophile "baature" get caught

you are going to ask "Baature"? what? = when the african people saw whites for the first time they thought that the whites had been in a fire and had lost their skins - baature = skinless people= local african lingo

Last edited:
Are you sure it was just the cables?
Speaker placement (in a room) plays a great role in determining which frequencies actually make it to you ears.

Are you sure it was just the cables?
Speaker placement (in a room) plays a great role in determining which frequencies actually make it to you ears.

i also played the speakers stand-alone in the centre of the room - each one separately - definitely, the cables - the difference was very obvious.

Suri ji, which Sunday is it, I am eagerly opening this thread every sunday to see this comparison ...

oops! MBR!

will do tonight - and post impressions tonight - comparing van den hul (reminds me of that jean claude von damme? - damned if i do not believe thatgod gives a man good looks and steals his intelligence!) finolex and ordinary double-colour speaker grade wire!

regds

oops! MBR!

will do tonight - and post impressions tonight - comparing van den hul (reminds me of that jean claude von damme? - damned if i do not believe thatgod gives a man good looks and steals his intelligence!) finolex and ordinary double-colour speaker grade wire!

regds
Which means now I sleep and get up and read all about it :) (me in US so its night for me )

hey, i'd forgotten about this thread. i am really looking forward to this comparison. Need to know if I need to 'upgrade' from my VIP brand (ISI mark) lamp wire.

Need to know if I need to 'upgrade' from my VIP brand (ISI mark) lamp wire.

Would really depend on the shielding of the VIP brand. VVIP brand is better rated for this. By the way what color temperature is your lamp bulb. This may actually affect the audio performance more that the wire as certain subharmonics of the light can fall in audio range :cool:

oops! MBR!

regds

suri,JCVD always was a classic act :lol:!!ookin forward to ur impressions on the comparo.cheers.

psychotropic, MBR - here please find (along with a 1000 apologies for delay) attached a report-

the cables tested -

finolex 2.5 sq. mm housegard ofc(that is what the legend says)

van den hul cs22 silver coated copper

speaker grade flex - the positive is copper (bare) and the negative looks like the copper has been tinned.

lengths -

finolex = 4 metres
vanden hul = 2 metres
speaker wire = 2 metres

method of termination - as below - with immense pressure applied with four fingers (and clenched teeth) on the jaws of the alligator clip to achieve a (momentary) gas-tight connection!

test has been delayed these many sundays because i need young listening volunteers - these said are mostly interested in food and sex, and difficult to get for above purpose - one advantage, though - they are absolutely not bothered about which cable is which and do not even look when cables are swapped!

impressions (with the sheffield test disc and 1 hour)-

the finolex sound completely different from the other two-

adjectives used(for finolex) - "thicker sound" "more bass" "vocals not very clear" and "high hats and cymbals not convincing"

all (4 participants) agreed that the van den hul and speaker grade flex were very similar -

adjectives used - "very clear, but less bass" - "high notes are very much better" "voices sound better"

3 preferred the van den hul/speaker wire sound, 1 liked finolex because of the bass, but even this one wanted the clarity of the van den hul.

all 4 agreed that they would want to buy a speaker cable that was clear but which also had bass.

and I ? - i think i preferred the van den hul but it did sound thin.

regds

what's 'speaker grade flex' ? and how would you compare the sound of that to the van den hul? from your post i gather they sounded pretty close? was the van den hul decidedly superior?

Hi,

impressions (with the sheffield test disc and 1 hour)-

the finolex sound completely different from the other two-

adjectives used(for finolex) - "thicker sound" "more bass" "vocals not very clear" and "high hats and cymbals not convincing"

all (4 participants) agreed that the van den hul and speaker grade flex were very similar -

adjectives used - "very clear, but less bass" - "high notes are very much better" "voices sound better"

3 preferred the van den hul/speaker wire sound, 1 liked finolex because of the bass, but even this one wanted the clarity of the van den hul.

all 4 agreed that they would want to buy a speaker cable that was clear but which also had bass.

and I ? - i think i preferred the van den hul but it did sound thin.

Suri that's startling revelation that you've made there :eek: !!!

I mean the sound of a normal Speaker Cable Vs the Almighty VDH almost same is something that's hard to digest (at least for me) not that Am a fan of that brand nor do I appreciate that amount of money they charge,but for the simple reason that the ordinary speaker cable is using what quality copper what dielectric etc is relatively unknown (I presume) where as the VDH one's does have those details and not to mention the Silver coating !!

Well in any case 1 thing I'dve done differently if I were you, I wouldn'tve compared a 4 meter cable to a 2 meter cable (not that it should make difference of day and night,but to be fair when comparing)

Moving on what other CD's were played to test the cables ?? I hope you've tested with various CD's before arriving at the conclusion ;)!!

Am dying to get a feedback from you on my own DIY cables after these tests from you, Just for the pure curiosity as to what your reactions will be :D !!

Psss Watchout for my upcoming thread for some real fun, Do you love sheep's ?? A Black one Especially :lol: !!!

Regards.

what's 'speaker grade flex' ? and how would you compare the sound of that to the van den hul? from your post i gather they sounded pretty close? was the van den hul decidedly superior?

speaker grade flex = there is a shop here in kannur which deals with electric cables - a long while ago, i asked him to get "speaker cable" for me - he got a spool (i think from chennai) - the spool was labelled "speaker grade flex"- i bought 10 metres, and the rest was bought by automobile audio installers - they used it for powering the subwoofer from car battery.

the van den hul and this speaker grade flex sounded like twins (identitical) - the finolex was different

Hi,

Suri that's startling revelation that you've made there :eek: !!!

I mean the sound of a normal Speaker Cable Vs the Almighty VDH almost same is something that's hard to digest (at least for me) not that Am a fan of that brand nor do I appreciate that amount of money they charge,but for the simple reason that the ordinary speaker cable is using what quality copper what dielectric etc is relatively unknown (I presume) where as the VDH one's does have those details and not to mention the Silver coating !!

Well in any case 1 thing I'dve done differently if I were you, I wouldn'tve compared a 4 meter cable to a 2 meter cable (not that it should make difference of day and night,but to be fair when comparing)

Moving on what other CD's were played to test the cables ?? I hope you've tested with various CD's before arriving at the conclusion ;)!!

Am dying to get a feedback from you on my own DIY cables after these tests from you, Just for the pure curiosity as to what your reactions will be :D !!

Psss Watchout for my upcoming thread for some real fun, Do you love sheep's ?? A Black one Especially :lol: !!!

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

the only cd used was the sheffield test cd - would have been too complex with other cds because the test had no control whatsoever- so adding other cds would have complicated an already complex set.

waiting for your upcoming thread!:yahoo:

thanks to arj - i received a test cd - My Disc - Sheffield labs A2TB test disc.

and almost had a heart-attack when i ran the test cd on my system!!

cutting a long story short - after perspiring profusely and requesting the help of younger people in the house (who have to be paid for this kind of help), i found that speaker cables make a significant difference - i am going to pay more attention to this aspect from now on - instead of dismissing it summarily!!

now, i must get a Gold Line DSP-30 portable real-time analyzer.

@ audio_engr - you have endorsed gold line products - but is this what i must be looking at as an amateur DIY'er?

You had a heart attack listening to a test CD?:lol::lol::lol:
:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

NMyTree: Watch your language - MBR

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back