Should I buy a DAC?

vijuhari

Gurujan,

I currently listen to mp3 / WMA tracks from a USB stick via my DVD player (it is a consumer model with a USB input). My stereo set up is a Norge Concerto 1000 amp connected to Norge Ultimo speakers. Would it make sense to move to playing the audio from a PC (I have an old laptop lying around) through a dedicated DAC?

Thanks.

dont spend too much on dac.If you want to play via laptop just use usb dac that also good one like dragonfly,HRT and all never buy a budget dac you will not get satisfied.I always recommend you to go for maranz cd player with mp3 playback a very good vfm like cd 6003.

Last edited:
I always recommend you to go for maranz cd player with mp3 playback a very good vfm like cd 6003.

I don't understand this. What is the use of getting a 6003 and playing MP3 on it? Any number of cheap Chinese players are available to do that at 1/10th the price.

Our friend is trying to grow up in terms of listening to music. Any high resolution player will sound better in any system.

Cheers

Last edited:
DAC will help only if you are going for lossless media, like flac etc. for mp3 is does not make much difference. Recently I sold Maranz CD6003 because I did not had much quality cd material and mp3 plays everywhere same. Though it was good for quality source material.

Last edited:
DAC will help only if you are going for lossless media, like flac etc. for mp3 is does not make much difference.

And what would make you say so?

Of course based on what bitrate the MP3 file has, the mileage will vary but any half decent external DAC would make things better than the standard laptop's inbuilt DAC.

DAC will help only if you are going for lossless media, like flac etc. for mp3 is does not make much difference. Recently I sold Maranz CD6003 because I did not had much quality cd material and mp3 plays everywhere same. Though it was good for quality source material.

Well in my system, even 320 kbps sound awesome with a DAC as compared to without a DAC.

What you are saying is to some extent quite true but for that one needs a really very high end system. :)

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

A good part of my collection is 320kbps mp3 files. So what I understand is it might make a significant SQ difference if I use a USB DAC like dragonfly or schiit modi.

BTW, I do have a lot of old CDs, especially western classical. So the 6003 player may not be a bad idea :-$

Hi you are using a budget system so what I always recommend is not to spend too much on dac.You should consider mid hifi USB dac recently I have bought a DAC from us and it worked very good in my system you can check it link below it will act as USB preamp.

Logicform - Hifi Audio

Detailed review

Logicform NV1 Review (USB Audio Preamp)

But if you need really branded one then you have to look on the HRT,dragonfly.Also you can look on Arcam rpac that will be less cost than HRT and dragonfly I hope also very good vfm.Check with Arcam dealer in India.You are very lucky that you in Bangalore so you should visit the dealers and take a demo on available dac and cd player.

Arcam rPAC review - Portable Audio - Trusted Reviews

For playing MP3 we cannot use any Chinese stuff(Except hi quality stuff from china) if you need good quality sound according to price we need a dedicated cd player that will be very good option that I have mentioned 6003.If the Chinese stuff is far superior than 6003 please mention those brands that will be really helpfull for us dear fm "venkatcr" . if you have budget you can go with higher models.Spending money on good source like cd player is always good even if you using a budget system.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

So, I will look for an entry level DAC in the 100 ~ 200 US$ level.

There is a Nuforce uDAC for sale by FM Srinisundar. However, since I am a new member, I still dont have rights to reply to sale threads or PM any other members. Any advice on how I can get in touch with him?

Thanks

Any advise from the established FMs

For playing MP3 we cannot use any Chinese stuff(Except hi quality stuff from china)

I am sorry to disagree, but you do get players from anywhere around Rs.1000 or so that can play MP3 merrily. Just go to a electronics market in any city. The quality of their playing is a different matter. My point was that using a Marantz 6003 or such for playing MP3 is a sheer waste.

Cheers

I am sorry to disagree, but you do get players from anywhere around Rs.1000 or so that can play MP3 merrily. Just go to a electronics market in any city. The quality of their playing is a different matter. My point was that using a Marantz 6003 or such for playing MP3 is a sheer waste.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

OP has a good number of CD's. Also he is using 320 kbps mp3. As hifiramr suggested, wouldnt 6003 be a good suggestion.

Wouldnt the internal DAC of marantz better than most of the budget DAC's. Also it can be made use for audio cd's.

For just playing mp3's, i agree that any 1k mp3 player is enough but if we buy a good CD player which comes with a nice inbuilt DAC , will it not be a good investment.

In many of the posts, i have seen people commenting that the sound signature of Marantz is much better than stand alone DAC's.

Regards,
Antony

Wouldnt the internal DAC of marantz better than most of the budget DAC's. Also it can be made use for audio cd's.

For just playing mp3's, i agree that any 1k mp3 player is enough but if we buy a good CD player which comes with a nice inbuilt DAC , will it not be a good investment.

In many of the posts, i have seen people commenting that the sound signature of Marantz is much better than stand alone DAC's.

It is possible that the internal DAC of CD player is good. But, remember, a CD player is optimised for CD playing. They can never match the capabilities of a good external DAC. In reality, I would go so far to say that if a CD player design also accepts inputs for digital inputs, it could be compromising both the CD and its DAC functionality. But, of course, you think like that if you are purist.

I have found external DACs to be extremely good. Some of the best CD players do nothing but play the CD and send out digital signals for external processing.

BTW, even if you have 320 kbps, you have to remember that MP3 has lost data even before it was born. There is a article in Stereophile that explains the shortcomings of MP3 with facts and figures.

Cheers

My answer would be an unequivocal 'Yes' in the favour of the DAC. If you have quality rips in mp3 or lossless formats then the DAC will bring out a lot lot more out of your music that you now do not even know exist.

I personally prefer the comfort level and usability of a laptop and browsing through the library on my hard drive, play, enqueue, switch to different albums suiting my ever fluctuating mood. If that is the case then a moderately good quality USB DAC is a must in my opinion. Go for one that suits your budget, from $50 to $500. Take your pick after doing your research, there is no point feeling daunted just because there are DACs available in many hundreds and thousands of $$. Pick one that suits you and your budget, it will be a good decision, trust me and others who have advised the same.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. Since I am in a somewhat similar situation as VijuHari and with the same query, I thought I should post it in this thread.

I have a decent collection of flac audio (vinyl rips, 24bit/96kHz). Music choice: Blues, Jazz, Indian and Western Classical, Old Hindi, Classic Rock.

I have an entry level set-up: Denon AVR1713; Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 FS and Wharfedale SW 150; Pioneer BDP 450.

Currently I play my music from an external HD through the BDP450 or directly through the AVR1713.

Questions:

(1) Would it make sense for me to go for a DAC? Will I see a significant change in sound quality?

(2) If the answer to the above is yes, then should I go for the CA DacMagic Plus?

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes, would it make sense to add, at a later stage, an Audiophilleo 1 or 2 to the DacMagic Plus?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. Since I am in a somewhat similar situation as VijuHari and with the same query, I thought I should post it in this thread.

I have a decent collection of flac audio (vinyl rips, 24bit/96kHz). Music choice: Blues, Jazz, Indian and Western Classical, Old Hindi, Classic Rock.

I have an entry level set-up: Denon AVR1713; Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 FS and Wharfedale SW 150; Pioneer BDP 450.

Currently I play my music from an external HD through the BDP450 or directly through the AVR1713.

Questions:

(1) Would it make sense for me to go for a DAC? Will I see a significant change in sound quality?

(2) If the answer to the above is yes, then should I go for the CA DacMagic Plus?

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes, would it make sense to add, at a later stage, an Audiophilleo 1 or 2 to the DacMagic Plus?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

In my case, I was using Yamaha 371 receiver. After that Onkyo PCI-200. Now PCM 1794 DAC and Wlofson 8741 Dac.

Yamaha - sound was too flat
Onkyo - better.
Dac - Clearity, Musical feeling, especially sound stage are far better.

Sorry for question 2,3

I got my Schiit Modi DAC yesterday. My flac files & high bit rate mp3s sound better (don't know how much of it is placebo effect :) )

Congratulations! That schitt modi is good DAC for 100 USD. Did you take Uber analog upgrade for it?

Recently I bought Schiit Bifrost with Uber analog upgrade. Its really great sounding.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back