Should I sell my 2-day old Marantz CD5004?

Cooked by wifey? .....

Mits 4900 | AVR 7002|Jamo|Music hall a25.2|Creek Evo|Thiel CS1.6|Vincent SP-996 |Epos5i|Paradigm Titan|PS3|Samsung BD6800|Toshibha HD-A3|PCH A-200 & Dune BD Prime 3.0|8TB WD NAS |PN50C6500 |

........ does'nt look it for you, at least! The above looks more like an audio warehouse to me. When may I start shopping ... from it?

My wife doesn't know to cook, so that only i keep changing and adding stuffs:p:p:p
"Everything is half baked",:::On a serious note the warehouse is getting created due to my half baked knowledge and searching towards something:p

What you are describing is a hubby cooker. It burns-in the toughest husband. Depending on the quality of the hubby, the burn-in period varies, after which the hubby starts sounding sweet and warm and starts singing to wifey's tunes with hi-fidelity and without any distortion.

........ causing outrage and 'son-lost-to-another-woman' by the mother ...

What you are describing is a hubby cooker. It burns-in the toughest husband. Depending on the quality of the hubby, the burn-in period varies, after which the hubby starts sounding sweet and warm and starts singing to wifey's tunes with hi-fidelity and without any distortion.

........ causing outrage and 'son-lost-to-another-woman' by the mother ...

:lol::lol::lol:

Alright folks, I ran a few more tests based on the various suggestions to try the setup in a "pure direct" mode. All processing of the 609 were turned off. I used the same test tracks for all the setups, and all were set for a listen at the same volume level on the AVR. Here's what I found:

CDP -> Analog -> AVR
I didn't find a big difference from the "stereo" mode in terms of SQ.

CDP -> Coax -> AVR
Slightly better than the above "analog" setup

BDP -> HDMI -> AVR
Clarity, detail and SQ still the best. You don't need to concentrate to make out a difference.

Please note: i'm not saying that the SQ from the Marantz CDP is bad, its just that the output from the BDP is much better given the amp I'm using for stereo is my AVR.

The only option left is to test this with a dedicated stereo amp at home, and according to all the opinions/theories/popular belief, the SQ should knock the socks off what I'm currently experiencing .

Now all I need to complete that test is to find some kind soul in Bangalore who has say a stereo amp (Marantz PM5004/6004 ?) and is willing to help me audition at my place :)

Your Onkyo 609 has Burr Brown 24 bit DAC, which are quite higher end. I am not surprised that you are finding the difference with Marantz very minimal. Although, the Marantz should be sounding similar as well. To compare, I suggest you do following.
  • Run the Onkyo in Pure Direct mode. This will turn off all the processing done by Onkyo and it will run strictly as an amp. No Audessey, No THX processing or any other thing.
  • Set the Onkyo for pure direct for sony player as well. No processing. The only thing that Onkyo is doing DAC and then passing on to its amp section.
  • Connect the analog outputs from the Marantz to Onkyo. Make sure to do level matching before you play, so that the loudness level with Marantz is same as the sony Bluray player. Many times, if one source is louder than other, it makes one believe that its a superior quality.
  • Play the music and compare. You can play the same music through Sony player and marantz and do a/b comparison.

There was an old article that I had read some years back in a Stereophile magainze. It took me sometime to find it on Stereophile website but thankfully they have it on the site. This might be an interesting read for you -

Fine Tunes #34 | Stereophile.com

I think that you should keep both of your players and use them both. Even as a transport some discs may sound better on the cd-player and some others on the bluray player.

Now all I need to complete that test is to find some kind soul in Bangalore who has say a stereo amp (Marantz PM5004/6004 ?) and is willing to help me audition at my place :)[/QUOTE]
It is better if you audition both the CD and BDP in some AV high end shops on varuious amps availble with them along with one of our forum member who is experianced. Just 2 or more pair of ears better than one I feel.

Now all I need to complete that test is to find some kind soul in Bangalore who has say a stereo amp (Marantz PM5004/6004 ?) and is willing to help me audition at my place :)

Which part of Bangalore are you in? I have got an amp I am not using right now.

Can lend it if you promise to take good care :)

Ideally I would like to audition at my place with all my other components in the chain, since this is where most of my listening is going to happen. AV stores are fine to check out amps etc., but auditioning is best done in your environment (if possible).

It is better if you audition both the CD and BDP in some AV high end shops on varuious amps availble with them along with one of our forum member who is experianced. Just 2 or more pair of ears better than one I feel.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I have auditioned my MS Aviano-2 with both an AVR-Denon 1611 and my Marantz PM 6003, and Norge 1000 amps. The difference was not only day and night, but summer & winter. :licklips:

In both cases source was my CD 5003.

N.Murali

+1 to this note by Murali...I have auditioned my Marantz CD63SE through a Sony AVR using my same BPL 700T speakers. The sound of this combination, when compared to my staple NAD106 + NAD 216thx combine was pathetic. The NAD combo was way superior in overall sound quality and presentation. However, you have not mentioned the type of music you generally listen to. AVRs tend to be designed with mid frequency roll-offs, which help them reproduce movie soundtrack audio (from DVDs), more effectively. If you are a guy who is used to listening to shrill highs and deep lows (especially with rock music), you are bound to find equipment like the NAD, very dull and boring. Again, it is up to individual taste and the type of music listened to.

Here's an interesting article, do have a look:

Why Your Dad’s Old Stereo System Sounds Better Than Your New One | Gizmodo Australia

Last edited:
vraned -

i was using my Philips DVD player with Marantz PM 7001 and quad speakers to begin with for a month ....the sound was better than my old panasonic system which i was used to for nearly 8 yrs ......then i purchased CD6003 and the difference in sound ...initially was not much ....

but now the difference is very clear .... Marantz sound is much more detailed .....i can hear a lot of instruments which i had not heard earlier ....i still have my Philips DVD plugged on ..... i have tried a lot of new cd's on both and the difference is stark ....let it run ....give it some time ....and then decide

I am not sure about this Marantz + Onkyo + Yamaha combo that u have ...u should try your bluray and marantz on some other system to find out the difference ....

How is your Philips DVD player connected to your amp? Analog? Coax?

I see a lot of responses here about not-so-good experiences of listening to CDs via a DVDP, but I think the difference here is my BDP-AVR connection is through HDMI (not analog or coax) and I think that is making all the difference in SQ. This is my reference point for comparison.

My Yamaha doesn't come into the picture here, since those are just my rear/centre speakers. The main components for this thread/post are my BDP, Onkyo 609, Marantz CDP 5004 and Kef Q300 (fronts).

I will be testing the CDP with a dedicated stereo amp shortly and I think there will be clarity (and I hope revelation too). :)

vraned -

i was using my Philips DVD player with Marantz PM 7001 and quad speakers to begin with for a month ....the sound was better than my old panasonic system which i was used to for nearly 8 yrs ......then i purchased CD6003 and the difference in sound ...initially was not much ....

but now the difference is very clear .... Marantz sound is much more detailed .....i can hear a lot of instruments which i had not heard earlier ....i still have my Philips DVD plugged on ..... i have tried a lot of new cd's on both and the difference is stark ....let it run ....give it some time ....and then decide

I am not sure about this Marantz + Onkyo + Yamaha combo that u have ...u should try your bluray and marantz on some other system to find out the difference ....

I have seen this. Audio over HDMI Being way better than that over coax. Difficult to explain technically but there was a BIG difference.

I have seen this. Audio over HDMI Being way better than that over coax. Difficult to explain technically but there was a BIG difference.

This is great topic for another long thread :)

All I can think of is the upsampling done in the blu-ray if any. Does it up sample Audio as well?

Last edited:
Does it up sample Audio as well?

It depends. Some do, some don't. The only way to find out is to pass the signal to a DAC which indicates the incoming signal rate. Some AVRs do have some indicator lights or other mechanism to indicate the incoming signal data rate, but not all of them do.

vraned [B said:
I will be testing the CDP with a dedicated stereo amp shortly and I think there will be clarity (and I hope revelation too). :)
[/B]

I too was in a similar stage some time back with my Onkyo 576 and sony DVD.
What I observed is my AVR SQ is airy and I could not find the diifference between a DVD and Marantz CD 5004 and I initially liked the SQ of my 576. After some time I auditioned my DVD and CD Player in a AV store on various amps. As i tested them on amps from entry level to high end the CD player out beaten the DVD and scored more points as the lelvel of amps increased and ultimately the difference reached a stage when the DVD seen as a crap in front of CD 5004. The amp is a Denon, which is 1.4 lakh and the speakers are B&W towers, number of both not remembered. Even now I play them on my CA Azur 650A with Wharf 9.5 and I find the difference around 20%. Both my amp, speakers, DVD and CD player are entry level only.

Where in Bangalore are you based ? PM me your location. I recently bought PM5004 from HiFiMart and would like to hear how the combo of PM5004 & CD5004 sound. So, getting together for this test would serve both of us :)

Thanks

Alright folks, I ran a few more tests based on the various suggestions to try the setup in a "pure direct" mode. All processing of the 609 were turned off. I used the same test tracks for all the setups, and all were set for a listen at the same volume level on the AVR. Here's what I found:

CDP -> Analog -> AVR
I didn't find a big difference from the "stereo" mode in terms of SQ.

CDP -> Coax -> AVR
Slightly better than the above "analog" setup

BDP -> HDMI -> AVR
Clarity, detail and SQ still the best. You don't need to concentrate to make out a difference.

Please note: i'm not saying that the SQ from the Marantz CDP is bad, its just that the output from the BDP is much better given the amp I'm using for stereo is my AVR.

The only option left is to test this with a dedicated stereo amp at home, and according to all the opinions/theories/popular belief, the SQ should knock the socks off what I'm currently experiencing .

UPDATE

I finally tested the CD5004 along with the PM5004 over the weekend - thanks to Rahul (who had the amp but wanted to check out the CDP), and here's what came out of it (compared to my BDP->HDMI->AVR setup for 2.0):

1. Sound signature and SQ is definitely different and better
2. The above was more evident with some test tracks as opposed to others
3. Vocals are definitely more pronounced than what I was used to on my BDP
4. Sound separation is also very evident

Bottomline: it does look like I need to get a stereo amp (and Rahul a CDP:). The next decision is which one??......we all know that's an easy decision ;-))

I have just started using the Arcam A28 - thanks to 'thatguy' who was very nice to lend it to me - along with my Marantz CDP5004.

I know that a natural amp choice for the Marantz CDP would be one of the Marantz PMs, but what other amps could be a good fit?

Thanks

Marantz CDP 5004 will suit you just fine.. dont spend more money than whats absolutely essential and just about meets your needs.

enjoy..

mpw

UPDATE

I finally tested the CD5004 along with the PM5004 over the weekend - thanks to Rahul (who had the amp but wanted to check out the CDP), and here's what came out of it (compared to my BDP->HDMI->AVR setup for 2.0):

1. Sound signature and SQ is definitely different and better
2. The above was more evident with some test tracks as opposed to others
3. Vocals are definitely more pronounced than what I was used to on my BDP
4. Sound separation is also very evident

Bottomline: it does look like I need to get a stereo amp (and Rahul a CDP:). The next decision is which one??......we all know that's an easy decision ;-))

I have just started using the Arcam A28 - thanks to 'thatguy' who was very nice to lend it to me - along with my Marantz CDP5004.

I know that a natural amp choice for the Marantz CDP would be one of the Marantz PMs, but what other amps could be a good fit?

Thanks

Hi vraned,

As expected you have heard a positive diffrence in sound compared to your AVR. :clapping:

Try the PM6004/5004 models from Marantz, they must be definitely, pairing well with your KEF Q300.

Anyway pl audition before you take a final call.

N.Murali

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back