Should I sell my 2-day old Marantz CD5004?

Make an offer to 'thatguy' which he can not refuse and retain the Arcam permanent. ;)

'GOD father made an offer to the him (producer of the movie), which he couldn't refuse. He said either you give him the role or take the bullet'...Cliche but best of classics

UPDATE
I know that a natural amp choice for the Marantz CDP would be one of the Marantz PMs, but what other amps could be a good fit?
Thanks

What is the opinion of Rahul between the SQ of BDP and CDP and how much difference he found between the two and are there any areas you both differred in opinions on auditioning them. Regarding the choice of amps - definitely marantz amps suits to CD 5004 than Arcam though arcam makes fine amps. If you feel more power at reasonable price audition Cambridge amp Azur 650A which is cheaper than Marantz at the given rating but without phono stage.

I guess we shared the same opinion that the detail in the sound and the separation of the instruments was much better in the CDP + AMP combo as compared to the BDP + AVR combo. Also, in some tracks, the vocals were much better in case of CDP + Amp. I am a newbie, and cant explain in technical terms, but overall, both me and my wife felt that the CDP + AMP sounded much better.

Thanks,
Rahul

What is the opinion of Rahul between the SQ of BDP and CDP and how much difference he found between the two and are there any areas you both differred in opinions on auditioning them. Regarding the choice of amps - definitely marantz amps suits to CD 5004 than Arcam though arcam makes fine amps. If you feel more power at reasonable price audition Cambridge amp Azur 650A which is cheaper than Marantz at the given rating but without phono stage.

If I had your setup, I will not buy a CD5004 and hope it to improve over my existing sound.

To have an improved playback from a dedicated CDP over analogue, you need to spend significantly more (around 1000-1200 USD) on a CDP and a good interconnect. Unless you do that, don't expect a day-night difference.

Couldn't agree with you more. Been there, done that.

I hope the answer at the end of this discussion will be a 'no', but I'm far away from that at this point.

I purchased the Marantz CD5004 earlier this week hoping that a dedicated CDP will outwit the stereo SQ that my current setup (Sony BDP -> HDMI -> Onkyo NR 609 -> Kef Q300) delivers - which was/is very good. But that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact so far it seems to be the other way around.

To answer your question, No. You need not sell it just yet.

CD5004 has a decent headphone output for its price. Borrow a good quality headphone from someone and see how different it sounds directly out of the CDP than compared to the rest of your chain. I see that you have started noticing the differences with your amp auditions lately. So start saving up for a dedicated stereo amp. Not sure about your particular avr but if it comes with some kind of direct mode, experiment with that for the time being. Also if open to it, get in touch with our fellow b'lore member hifipal4all for an interim solution via the used route.

A little snobbish, but let me just say it out loud anyways. Most of us started off with an entry level hifi system. Our expectations, however were of larger than life euphoric audiophile sonic nirvana - even when our starter systems were often basic simple baby steps to this fascinating (and expensive) hobby. Over time, we learned to differentiate and hence appreciate various levels of purity in music reproduction. This unfortunately comes at a price. While we can all debate over the merits of audiophile diminishing returns or cost vs. value matrix, good components do cost substantially more and often for good reasons as well. However, there is a wealth of knowledge out there for anyone in this hobby to tweak their system to their individual preferences, in any budget. So take your time and experiment. Listen more, learn more.

Cheers.

sage advice...

IMHO, if you follow the advice, you'll turn out happier than most...

Couldn't agree with you more. Been there, done that.

To answer your question, No. You need not sell it just yet.

CD5004 has a decent headphone output for its price. Borrow a good quality headphone from someone and see how different it sounds directly out of the CDP than compared to the rest of your chain. I see that you have started noticing the differences with your amp auditions lately. So start saving up for a dedicated stereo amp. Not sure about your particular avr but if it comes with some kind of direct mode, experiment with that for the time being. Also if open to it, get in touch with our fellow b'lore member hifipal4all for an interim solution via the used route.

A little snobbish, but let me just say it out loud anyways. Most of us started off with an entry level hifi system. Our expectations, however were of larger than life euphoric audiophile sonic nirvana - even when our starter systems were often basic simple baby steps to this fascinating (and expensive) hobby. Over time, we learned to differentiate and hence appreciate various levels of purity in music reproduction. This unfortunately comes at a price. While we can all debate over the merits of audiophile diminishing returns or cost vs. value matrix, good components do cost substantially more and often for good reasons as well. However, there is a wealth of knowledge out there for anyone in this hobby to tweak their system to their individual preferences, in any budget. So take your time and experiment. Listen more, learn more.

Cheers.

Hi Murali,

The audition was done with the PM5004. Is the PM6004 a big step up from the PM5004? I did read that the 6004 has separate circuits for pre and power amp...anything else that is different (and better)?

Thanks.

Hi vraned,

As expected you have heard a positive diffrence in sound compared to your AVR. :clapping:

Try the PM6004/5004 models from Marantz, they must be definitely, pairing well with your KEF Q300.

Anyway pl audition before you take a final call.

N.Murali

Interesting thread.

Although, your final update has nothing to do with the premise this thread started with. All it proves is that the analog circuitry of the stereo amp is better than that of the AVR. Which is kind of a given anyway

Your test was simply comparing [source A with amplification B] with [source C with amplification D]. Unless you've also paired your BDP analog outputs (if any) with the stereo amp..your original question still remains unanswered.

Yes, it might be a given, but it was worth going through the exercise for my benefit (and hopefully to others too).

I've paired with the BDP (through Arcam) and the SQ through CDP is definitely better.

Interesting thread.

All it proves is that the analog circuitry of the stereo amp is better than that of the AVR. Which is kind of a given anyway

Your test was simply comparing [source A with amplification B] with [source C with amplification D]. Unless you've also paired your BDP analog outputs (if any) with the stereo amp..your original question still remains unanswered.

Interesting thread.

Although, your final update has nothing to do with the premise this thread started with. All it proves is that the analog circuitry of the stereo amp is better than that of the AVR. Which is kind of a given anyway

Bang on! ............

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back