Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

Here is my setup with details of the chain

Source Hardware: Mac Mini late 2009 model.
Configuration: Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM with two hard disks.
The main hard disk runs OS and the program files.
The 2nd 1TB hard disk takes the place of the optical drive and stores music files.
Will soon be upgrading the boot HDD to SSD and the music HDD to 5 TB.
The mac mini runs a heavily stripped Windows 7 OS with most background processes disabled and connected to the network via ethernet port.
Wifi and bluetooth are disabled.

DAC cum preamp
Dual mono design Teac UD-301 DSD DAC connected via USB to mac mini.

Audio Player:
Default TEAC player with ASIO drivers or optimized Foobar with WASAPI

Mac Mini Control:
With my laptop using Remote Desktop.

Power Supply 1:
Since both mac mini and the DAC are 110 volt devices, I am using a Maxine Auto Would step down transformer

Power Amplifier:
Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFA-4302 Class A dual mono amplifier rated for 30 watt RMS at 4 ohms per channel.
Separate gain control for each channel.

Power Supply 2:
A 220 volt AC to 12 volts DC inverter to power the Adcom amplifier

Subwoofer:
Wharfedale SW150 10 inch active subwoofer.

Speakers:
A heavily DIY modified Infinity RS425 2-way infinite baffle (sealed) bookshelf speakers with 6.5 inch IMG (graphite) woofer and polycell ferrofluid cooled tweeters. Tweeters/Midbass crossed at 3.1khz / 12 db slope.

Speaker Modifications from the original design:
Changed the surrounds of the midbass as they had weakened. Purchased the surround repair kit from simplyspeakers.com.
Removed the passive radiators and sealed the opening.
Front baffle reinforced with another 18mm MDF panel.
Internal panels damped for reducing enclosure resonance.
Midbass and tweeters flush mounted, tweeters a little further recessed to improve time alignment with the woofer.
Minor changes to the crossover.
Added some wool based sheets inside the enclosure to reduce impact of back waves.

Changes it made to the sound/tonality:
Improved midrange
Though the removal of the passive radiators made bass to roll off earlier, it became more taut, cleaned the lower midrange, improved clarity and the integration with the subwoofer was much better.

Speaker Stands:
Hand made with tree trunks.

Cable chain:
1. ATAAudio 6 inch USB cable between the DAC and mac mini
2. Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnect between the DAC and subwoofer input
3. Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnect between the subwoofer output and amplifier input
4. Amplifier secondary inputs shorted with good quality phono connectors
5. Klotz 12 awg speaker cables between the amplifier and speakers. Heavy duty MX gold plated banana plugs used for terminating the speaker cables.

Amplifier/Subwoofer Gain Setting:
Power amp gains set with sine waves/multimeter and listening sessions after adjusting idle current and bias.
Subwoofer crossed at around 63hz at 12db slope. Attenuated to the bookshelf by listening.

Listening area:
10 x 10 space which is open on the left side and has a wall with windows on the right side.
Listening position roughly 6/7 feet from the speakers and 3/4 feet from the rear wall

Speakers Position:
Speakers placed 1.5 feet from the rear wall and around 4 feet from the side walls.
Distance between speakers around 6 feet
No toe in.
Subwoofer similarly placed bang in the middle of the two speakers.

No EQ or acoustic room correction

A pic of the setup:

setup1.jpg

The 2nd 1TB hard disk takes the place of the optical drive and stores music files.
The mac mini runs a heavily stripped Windows 7 OS with most background processes disabled and connected to the network via ethernet port.

DAC cum preamp

Audio Player:

Mac Mini Control:

Power Supply 1:
Since both mac mini and the DAC are 110 volt devices, I am using a Maxine Auto Would step down transformer

Power Amplifier:
Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFA-4302 Class A dual mono amplifier rated for 30 watt RMS at 4 ohms per channel.

Power Supply 2:

Subwoofer:

Speakers:
A heavily DIY modified Infinity RS425 2-way infinite baffle (sealed) bookshelf speakers with 6.5 inch IMG (graphite) woofer and polycell ferrofluid cooled tweeters. Tweeters/Midbass crossed at 3.1khz / 12 db slope.

Changed the surrounds of the midbass as they had weakened. Purchased the surround repair kit from simplyspeakers.com.
Midbass and tweeters flush mounted, tweeters a little further recessed to improve time alignment with the woofer.
Added some wool based sheets inside the enclosure to reduce impact of back waves.

Improved midrange
Though the removal of the passive radiators made bass to roll off earlier, it became more taut, cleaned the lower midrange, improved clarity and the integration with the subwoofer was much better.

Speaker Stands:

Cable chain:
3. Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnect between the subwoofer output and amplifier input
5. Klotz 12 awg speaker cables between the amplifier and speakers. Heavy duty MX gold plated banana plugs used for terminating the speaker cables.

Power amp gains set with sine waves/multimeter and listening sessions after adjusting idle current and bias.
Subwoofer crossed at around 63hz at 12db slope. Attenuated to the bookshelf by listening.

Listening area:
10 x 10 space which is open on the left side and has a wall with windows on the right side.
Listening position roughly 6/7 feet from the speakers and 3/4 feet from the rear wall

Speakers Position:
Speakers placed 1.5 feet from the rear wall and around 4 feet from the side walls.
No toe in.

A pic of the setup:

View attachment 28360

Wow Fantastic setup.

These days this is what is keeping me company for morning music and basically anytime music..

lots music played ( any time / odd times ) over bluetooth..

The JBL Flip - a nice device for a small room..

Feels nice and weighty and it has speakers on 2 sides..

flip.jpg

These days this is what is keeping me company for morning music and basically anytime music..

lots music played ( any time / odd times ) over bluetooth..

The JBL Flip - a nice device for a small room..

Feels nice and weighty and it has speakers on 2 sides..

View attachment 28377
heh..My sister got the same one just last month. She is loving it for it's simplicity of use. Plays it the minute she enters home...LOL! Never seen her enjoy so much music.

so here is my system....

Philips CD750 - CD player
Akai AP D30 Turntable
Nagaoka MP30 cart
Lehmann Audio SE2 PWX - phono
Naim Supernait 2
Belden 8402 i/c's
Klotz LY240 speaker cables
Merlin TSM MMM BME standmount speakers
Soundfoundations Stands ( filled ) - made just for me ( the stand pipes are 3.5 inch dia each )
Sealed subwoofer with Dayton RSS265-HF4 driver and Hypex DS4 plate amplifier on
SVS Soundpath - isolation feet

what you dont see is lots of music....both on vinyl and CD

Nothing in comparison to what other music aficionados possess..but nevertheless...

IMG_1528.JPG

My rig is placed in the hall which is 1 side ( right side ) open so that brings its own acoustic challenges and i have to reconcile that i might not be able to move in a direction to work on my room...

sometimes the Bengal tiger turns back and fondly looks at the painting of the forest and wishes it could jump back into the forest...but thats all that it does... its a harmless loveable tiger :)

Dusty wants to fly too but - its grounded...as it has just enough weight to add to the bass emanating from the subwoofer :p

Hey guys here are some more pics of my entire set up . Finally got down to clicking some more over the weekend. I have also just added the SOtM sCLK -OCX10 external clock with a seperate sPS - 500 power supply to my existing set up . i Havent had time to listen to it in peace since i had people over . So hopefully over the coming weekend i should be able to do that too. Will post my listening experience with the new toys oncei do it at length :).

Regards
Anand

Attachments

• IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    477.4 KB · Views: 393

DAC cum preamp

Audio Player:

Mac Mini Control:

Power Supply 1:

Power Amplifier:

Power Supply 2:

Subwoofer:

Speakers:

Improved midrange

Speaker Stands:

Cable chain:

Listening area:

Speakers Position:
No toe in.

A pic of the setup:

View attachment 28360
Now only I saw your set up. Great!

Is that only one center channel playing ?? No fronts ???

Fronts Centre and sub. Mode Dolby sorround, so more than around 60% of all mids and highs must be coming from the center speaker. Although my phone might not have captured it exactly like that.

Good setup but i see room acoustics making mess of the good sound there . Have a thick carpet in front of speakers to avoid echo and have clean sound

The echo is not very obvious in the room. Could the phone have added it ? The wooden floors are one of the many problems of this room though and a carpet would definitely help. Will have to talk to my wife about it.

A photo of the room from the TV position.

20180711_181326.jpg

Ssf

Leave the way it is if you are enjoying the music

Njoi the hide n seek with the kiddo and the tent :)

Regards

Ssf

Leave the way it is if you are enjoying the music

Njoi the hide n seek with the kiddo and the tent :)

Regards

Sound advice, MPW, no pun intended. In my case, ignorance is indeed bliss. And my 5 year old is also my volume control. He doesn't allow me to play my music loud cause he says he cant hear his tab !!! Not exciting room modes enough as a result is the blessing in disguise. :)

Sound advice, MPW, no pun intended. In my case, ignorance is indeed bliss. And my 5 year old is also my volume control. He doesn't allow me to play my music loud cause he says he cant hear his tab !!! Not exciting room modes enough as a result is the blessing in disguise. :)

Disconnect the net for a few hours a day..

Kill 2 birds with 1 switch :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back