• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Showcase your audio/video setup here!......

sandeepmohan

My Vintage build.
Man oh man. I would give up my high end stereo for one of these any day (Even if it is a trade off in sound quality). Hope you have this paired with a similar era loud speaker.

Those subtle lights, tiny buttons that did something or nothing, all adds to the charm owning one of these.

I owned a Technics SU-800, RS-TR165, SH-8038 paired to a SB-G750 not too long ago. Not to be compared to your gear but reasonably good Hi Fi. Gave it up for the high end world. I sold it for double the price I bought it! You don't hear of this with anything you try and sell today.

Where did you manage to source these components from? We never got Mini Disc in India

SPONSORED ADS
Last edited:

SPONSORED ADS

Pavan1112

Man oh man. I would give up my high end stereo for one of these any day (Even if it is a trade off in sound quality). Hope you have this paired with a similar era loud speaker.

Those subtle lights, tiny buttons that did something or nothing, all adds to the charm owning one of these.

I owned a Technics SU-800, RS-TR165, SH-8038 paired to a SB-G750 not too long ago. Not to be compared to your gear but reasonably good Hi Fi. Gave it up for the high end world. I sold it for double the price I bought it! You don't hear of this with anything you try and sell today.

Where did you manage to source these components from? We never got Mini Disc in India
So glad to know that people still appreciate Vintage equipment. Have loads of Vintage equipment. Have imported all of them as the ones you find here aren’t well maintained.
If you’re based in Bangalore do drop by. Will pm my number if you’re interested. Cheers!!!

Love4sound

Attachments

Pavan1112

Wow..
Looks absolutely delicious with all the glowing EQ and VU meters. I bet it's as much a feast for the eyes, as it is for the ears. Gosh...Iam still drooling at this stuff....off to get my towel now :D
Absolutely spot on. Glad you like it. Cheers!!

newlash09

This is what it stood about a couple months ago.
Tweaked it further. Will share pics sometime next week. Cheers!!!
View attachment 35220
Lovely looking setup there, with spot on aesthetics. I was very Interested in JBL studio 590, and read some awesome reviews about them. But in the end, I sadly couldn't find a place in hyderabad to audition them. And didn't want to risk buying blind, as they were monosterous in size :D

Would like to hear them some time for sure...and Iam still smitten with their darth vader looks :)

Pavan1112

Lovely looking setup there, with spot on aesthetics. I was very Interested in JBL studio 590, and read some awesome reviews about them. But in the end, I sadly couldn't find a place in hyderabad to audition them. And didn't want to risk buying blind, as they were monosterous in size :D

Would like to hear them some time for sure...and Iam still smitten with their darth vader looks :)
Thank you @newlash09. In all honesty would be the best blind buy anyone would make. Just my opinion. Fabulous piece of gear. Have 2 pairs and I don’t think I would ever get rid of them. Just brilliant.

newlash09

Thank you @newlash09. In all honesty would be the best blind buy anyone would make. Just my opinion. Fabulous piece of gear. Have 2 pairs and I don’t think I would ever get rid of them. Just brilliant.
Most welcome pavan:)

And thanks for the reassurance on the JBL studio 590 part too. I went to the JBL dealer in Hyderabad, located in jubilee hills. But sadly he only had their Bluetooth speakers and HT combo systems..he wasn't even willing to get one for audition, even when I was definitely and seriously interested.

Subsequently I've gone in a different direction. But it is such a shame, that in our usual speakers discussion, their name is never uttered. And it shows JBL's poor marketing. Honestly i wasn't expecting to find a studio 590 in our forums ever..And Iam happy to see them here finally. Enjoy those great speakers :)

newlash09

IMG-20190503-WA0000.jpgIMG-20190503-WA0001.jpgThats the internals of a class A amp. If anyone thought the parasound in the background was big. The krell swallows it whole. And still won't look pregnant :)

One huge transformer and 2 beer can sized caps per side :D. Also note those thick wires running everywhere. No visible printed circuit boards anywhere . They would probably melt in the heat.

100 W into 8 ohms, and just keeps doubling as impedance halves, right down to 1600w into 0.5 ohm.

The apogee scintilla speakers used to set amps on fire with their massive impedance drops. This was the amp to tame them. And this put Dan D'agostino on the world map. Brute unflappable power irrespective of speaker or load was what he set out to achieve. And his name is proof of that achievement. Just my 2 cents rant about my amp :D

Last edited:

manniraj

Class A amp and those heat sinks doesn't gel together with the size from the pics ;)

Not sure what size are those heat sinks

newlash09

Class A amp and those heat sinks doesn't gel together with the size from the pics ;)

Not sure what size are those heat sinks
You are very right. These are forced cooled by 2 fans blowing upwards when the amp is running. Adding heat sinks to dissipate that heat passively would have made this amp bigger and heavier. So they employed pfaft fans for cooling. Though subsequent amps went down the passive cooling route with heat sinks .

SPONSORED ADS