Showcase your cassette deck

Onkyo k-505tx from the Liverpool series. Sound quality is very good. Nice highs. Dolby B. The loading mechanism is what bowled me out. :eek:hyeah:

Attachments

• DECK.jpg
    DECK.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 481
I bought a dual-deck Sony player (Sony TC-WE405) used one US (120V) model from Lokesh (htstore.in) 6 months back. Works great.
I have a lot old cassettes and needed a cassette player after selling off my old Sony HTiB (DHC-AZ7D, it had a DVD player and 2 cassette decks). So I bought this one. You can see it on the top shelf of my rack in the below photo (not a good one) in my picasa album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/LA-7beIadcFw_ugCCUDmvIBmbUf9SF4SriWJaDci5Y4?feat=directlink

Here is my Nak DR-2. Its a 3 head deck and does not see duty too much these days. But whenever I listen to a few metal tapes recorded long time back on it (from times when CDs were not affordable and cost upwards of Rs 700), it puts a big grin in my face and always makes me wonder why did we had to transition from this to digital.

Anyway watchout for this deck as I dont use it much to justify its ownership with me. It might just end up in another thread that most of us so frantically keep looking. :)

Last edited:
Here is my Nak DR-2. Its a 3 head deck and does not see duty too much these days. But whenever I listen to a few metal tapes recorded long time back on it (from times when CDs were not affordable and cost upwards of Rs 700), it puts a big grin in my face and always makes me wonder why did we had to transition from this to digital.

Anyway watchout for this deck as I dont use it much to justify its ownership with me. It might just end up in another thread that most of us so frantically keep looking. :)

Nice one Raghav...i'm one of those who "frantically keep looking" :))

Me too ... but it looks as if the queue has already formed.

Are we like vultures? Circling the air waiting our chance? :lol:

It has been reserved for mbhangui since he was the first to express interest. If he is not interested I put it in the 'for sale thread' and first person to show interest (and obviously finish the deal) can have it !

Nak' 581 (not my player pix, but.....)

581.JPG

Nakamichi581_02k.jpg

(my player) pic also @http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/1167-showcase-your-audio-video-setup-here-19.html#post52033

Have sent you a PM :yahoo:

This would be a great buy. Raghav takes terrific care of his gear and usually owns great stuff. You'll definitely be in for a treat. Incidently, I am a proud owner of a Nak DR3, courtesy Raghav himself. He has contributed 3 of my 4 sources, my turntable, my cassette deck and my tuner. I use a Marantz CD63 cd player, Raghav actually offered me a CD63 MKII which my brother ended up buying and is thoroughly enjoying it.

This would be a great buy. Raghav takes terrific care of his gear and usually owns great stuff. You'll definitely be in for a treat. Incidently, I am a proud owner of a Nak DR3, courtesy Raghav himself. He has contributed 3 of my 4 sources, my turntable, my cassette deck and my tuner. I use a Marantz CD63 cd player, Raghav actually offered me a CD63 MKII which my brother ended up buying and is thoroughly enjoying it.

Indeed yes. With the help of google, have gone through some of the great stuff that he has done. I have no doubts on the quality of this gear that I am getting from him. Now more than getting the tape deck in my hands, I am waiting to meet him in person.

Currently, my full-size Sony deck is still awaiting a visit to the service centre to find out if its sickness is terminal.

However, I still have my Walkman Professional. You can see it showcased in this post. A real, proper deck in miniature, but lauded for its quality. Also a piece of cassette history.

Currently, my full-size Sony deck is still awaiting a visit to the service centre to find out if its sickness is terminal.

However, I still have my Walkman Professional. You can see it showcased in this post. A real, proper deck in miniature, but lauded for its quality. Also a piece of cassette history.

I used my Sony TC-FX 44 deck from 1986 till 2005. Now not able to get spare parts for the mechanism. The electronics is still good. Will have to replace the mechnism completely due to wear and tear.

Last edited:
Memories! Memories! ... I'm sure that was my first Sony Deck :)

Yours lasted a lot longer than mine. IIRC, mine stopped recording, and I eventually replaced it with the TC-K661S that I have now. I don't think I can put a year to that, I'll have to meditate on that!

The mechanism has locked solid. Whilst it could just be three generations of cat fur clogging the works, I doubt it will be that simple and, spares? Who knows!

all I have to say is 2 words....Simply Amazing!!

I have to take some pics and post but cassette decks became a bit of an obsession when the digitization bug bit me about a decade back as I had collected thousands of live shows I collected during the tape trading days...

The ones in the stable include-
Nakamichi Dragon (serviced to spec by Willy Hermann in early 2011)
Nakamichi CR7A
Nakamichi DR 2 and 3
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 and the Ltd Ed (in silver)
Nakamichi 582
NAD 6240
and a couple more in storage...

As you can guess by the models listed above, the passion for me was decks that allowed playback azimuth adjustment (I only use them to play - have not recorded on cassette tape in over 12 years now)...

To me the standard's I turn to always are the Nak Dragon and the CR7A...NOTHING comes close! That said, there is a subtle difference between the Dragon and the CR7...I find the Dragon sounds more warmer with better mids and lows while the CR7 sounds almost digital as it is very accurate so its highs have a slight edge over the Dragon but then the mids are slightly weaker...Between them its a toss up and also depends on the tape...

What I would love to compare the Nak's against someday is the Tandberg 3014A but that baby is hard to come by on eBay at a decent price and it is hard to repair and maintain...

Rajiv

I have to take some pics and post but cassette decks became a bit of an obsession when the digitization bug bit me about a decade back as I had collected thousands of live shows I collected during the tape trading days...

The ones in the stable include-
Nakamichi Dragon (serviced to spec by Willy Hermann in early 2011)
Nakamichi CR7A
Nakamichi DR 2 and 3
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 and the Ltd Ed (in silver)
Nakamichi 582
NAD 6240
and a couple more in storage...

As you can guess by the models listed above, the passion for me was decks that allowed playback azimuth adjustment (I only use them to play - have not recorded on cassette tape in over 12 years now)...

To me the standard's I turn to always are the Nak Dragon and the CR7A...NOTHING comes close! That said, there is a subtle difference between the Dragon and the CR7...I find the Dragon sounds more warmer with better mids and lows while the CR7 sounds almost digital as it is very accurate so its highs have a slight edge over the Dragon but then the mids are slightly weaker...Between them its a toss up and also depends on the tape...

What I would love to compare the Nak's against someday is the Tandberg 3014A but that baby is hard to come by on eBay at a decent price and it is hard to repair and maintain...

Rajiv

all I can say is WoW!!

I used my Sony TC-FX 44 deck from 1986 till 2005. Now not able to get spare parts for the mechanism. The electronics is still good. Will have to replace the mechnism completely due to wear and tear.

I still have the same deck up and running with the Sony SSS 440 speakers, bought way back in 1988 .... with my accumulated 'first job' salaries .. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back