Showcase your cassette deck

It has been reserved for mbhangui since he was the first to express interest. If he is not interested I put it in the 'for sale thread' and first person to show interest (and obviously finish the deal) can have it !

I am now the proud new owner of flanker's deck. I opened it and the inside too is lovely. Took around 2 hours to wipe minor dust inside and now it looks new inside too. The whole of Saturday night went in listening to my old tapes. It is a pleasure getting hold of this deck

I am now the proud new owner of flanker's deck. I opened it and the inside too is lovely. Took around 2 hours to wipe minor dust inside and now it looks new inside too. The whole of Saturday night went in listening to my old tapes. It is a pleasure getting hold of this deck

although i have seen this deck in person, nearly 3 years ago, would be great if you can post a pic or two

I am glad it has ended up with someone who knows the value of it. Wish you many hours of happy listening .

Yes Reuben, it is the same deck and is in the same excellent condition. With it now in another passionate owner's possession I am sure it will remain that way.

Just saw this, thanks for starting this thread.Here's a pic of my Tandberg 440A - heads with record azimuth calibration, peak reading meters that shows levels after recording equalization, rewind & forward times of 45 secs for 60 minute tape, 3 motor drive with back voltage control of the reel and spooling motors, tremendous headroom on metal tape - separate VU scale for type IV. All aluminium construction. These were workhorses to found in many a recording studio..

Attachments

• Tandberg440A.jpg
    Tandberg440A.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 408
bought it from an elderly person from our vicinity and i gifted the whole rack to my dad but my dad grew soo fond of it he does not allow me to operate it alone ..

all i have is 2 words..."simply fantastic"

sometimes i really miss by father around, would have loved to show off my rack to him...we used to sit and talk about audio for hours back in the day

I use these cassette decks:

Revox B710

4037568478_37a060f117_z.jpg

Tandberg TCD 440A

4036818169_ff27e1e21c_z.jpg

Tandberg TCD 910

4037646358_f4c265b300_z.jpg

And this Open Reel Tape Deck

Lyrec PTR-1 Frida

4037603896_ae52fb6d7f_z.jpg

Niklas

I still have the same deck up and running with the Sony SSS 440 speakers, bought way back in 1988 .... with my accumulated 'first job' salaries .. :)

I still have the SSS440 speakers with me and the TA-AX 44 amplifiers which i am still using. The SSS440 speakers are now kept in the attic. This was gifted to me by my elder brother along with TC-FX 44 when my brother was working in SONY ORSON.

Did you used to walk around with it on your shoulder, ghetto-blaster style? ;)

"growing up," I was more used to something like this

Last edited:
Did you used to walk around with it on your shoulder, ghetto-blaster style? ;)

"growing up," I was more used to something like this

Oh, yours is the most popular model for family picnics:eek:hyeah:. I have always seen them in such occasions and that too being played by the neighbourhood picnicer :). Even picnics have dissappeared with cassettes. Were they all made for each other:sad:.

Regarding my Akai, no it was too heavy for me to carry on my shoulders, many times I used to lift it using both hands:). My dream those days was to get a Sonodyne Deck and speaker combo, and till now I am fascinated when I see that combo anywhere in our small town audio shops though there are hardly any left.

This thread brings back lots of childhood and teenage memories.

The first cassette player in the family was a mono Panasonic 2 in 1. It was very sturdily built. It survived a fall from the top of a 5 foot odd almirah with the only thing broken being the counter reset button. It absorbed lots of other abuses from us kids. I think my father paid Rs 1500 or thereabout in '78 or '79. Cassettes were mainly Hitachis, then later TDKs. I think each blank 60 minute cassette costed Rs 20 in those days. And it was very difficult to get good pre-recorded ones in the small town where I grew up. This deck still survives in my cousin's household as a radio receiver.

But the one deck I really coveted in those days had the model number 555. I don't remember whether it was a National Panasonic or a Technics. There were even bigger (and louder) models 9292 and 9696 (or was it 9494?) with dual decks and auto reverse and nice LED meters. Very good picnic boomboxes while the car batteries lasted:lol:

My greatest (secret) adventures was to pack this deck in a largish bag with a blank cassette and take it to a relative's home to record their Beatles LPs. This was before I was 10 years old:) It was a mutually beneficial arrangement - my relatives were fascinated to hear the new-fangled tapes, and I was fascinated to listen to their record player.

During my early teens, I listened to lot of Walkmans and Walkman clones, including some really good ones. The best in terms of sonics was a Crown. It was, I think, an UNICEF handout. I don't know how or where my friend got it. It looked cheap and plasticky but the sound was awesome. Later I got myself a walkman clone that had lousy sound. I don't know if the headphone was to blame.

In college I had a stereo 2-in-1 from Panasonic. All of 20 Watts, with no bass to speak of, but nice trebles. Enough to make lots of noise in my dorm room playing predominantly hard rock and metal.

Current deck is a Technics which is seeing very low service, but still retained due to the sheer number of cassettes I still have nicely packed up.

During my college days, and later in grad school, I lusted after the Nakamachi Dragon but could only afford the generic Sonys and Akais. Then, circa 1983, I bought an Aiwa F-770 that sounded amazing - in the mid-fi system I had then, I generally couldn't distinguish tapes recorded/played on that deck from the vinyl originals played on a Rega P3 and equalized by a NYAL Super-It phono preamplifier. When the Aiwa gave up the ghost after about 15 years, I finally got myself a Nakamichi ZX-7. I had stopped listening to tapes by then, but I had the money and had to have a Nakamichi! I used it to make recordings of some of rare LPs that I had, but the deck needed someone who could put it to better use, so I gifted it to a friend who uses it now to record live music. The deck is almost 30 years old and still functions flawlessly!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back