Showcase your cassette deck

Used Nakamachi BX-100E purchased 3 months ago in excellent condition.

2wm4ei0.jpg
Where did you buy it from?

Where did you buy it from?
Got it from one second hand dealer at Santacruz, Mumbai. But personally if you ask me, i liked the Sony Tape Deck TC-FX44 SQ and sound signature to be better than the Naks (though this is my personal opinion). The Sony Deck was more sweeter in the mids and the highs compared to the Naks. I am still exploring if i can substitute the Sony PCB with the Naks for the audio section only. The reason being the Sony mechanism has completed its life cycle and replacement is not available. But i am still mesmerised by the Sony audio quality which i am not able to get with the Naks.

27z96pv.jpg

got this one (along with a bunch of other decks for a song) from a gentleman who had bought it in germany, and had used it for recording classical music concerts here in india.

It was not working, Opened it up to find some major jugaad done on the transport. Only play was working, and even for that, had to throw out some parts. New belt for tape counter, idler tire, grease here and there, Cleaned the record/Playback switch + cosmetic cleanup.

Todo : Fix the spring for the cassette lid (broken, araldite curing in progress)
Recap - there is a slight hum in one of the channels
Change the backlight on L VU meter
Slight W&F , so could use a new belt - It uses a puny square belt!

On the plus side, despite it's colorful life, the F&F head sounds great for its age and shows no wear at all, and the deck looks gorgeous.
It's my first top loader and my oldest yet!

Last edited:
27z96pv.jpg

got this one (along with a bunch of other decks for a song) from a gentleman who had bought it in germany, and had used it for recording classical music concerts here in india.

It was not working, Opened it up to find some major jugaad done on the transport. Only play was working, and even for that, had to throw out some parts. New belt for tape counter, idler tire, grease here and there, Cleaned the record/Playback switch + cosmetic cleanup.

Todo : Fix the spring for the cassette lid (broken, araldite curing in progress)
Recap - there is a slight hum in one of the channels
Change the backlight on L VU meter
Slight W&F , so could use a new belt - It uses a puny square belt!

On the plus side, despite it's colorful life, the F&F head sounds great for its age and shows no wear at all, and the deck looks gorgeous.
It's my first top loader and my oldest yet!

Cool man!..Would like to see it running/playing a good song and a recording session if possible (YT vdo).

yesterday, I listened to a 2 cassette vintage 1990s album titled 'Lata - An era in an evening". What a lovely live recording by Sony. Brilliant mastering and it sounded almost holy, on my NAK.
here's the LP version of this album:

lata-an-era-in-an-evening-400x400-imadffyffvhryfja.jpeg

This cassette album was part of a collection gifted to me by my good friend, FM Simon_wires. Sony, on the cover credits claims that the tape used was imported from Sony Corp / United States.

I am big fan of open cassette comportment design decks with VU meters. For me the visual and feel of playing such deck is similar like playing a record player. I was on search since 2007 for such a deck in good cosmetic condition. Finally I got mine and picked last week.:) Yamaha K-850 which manufactured in late seventies.

Playing well. Need a small cleaning, lubrication and a fix yes erase function is not working when recording

Selvin, I was unable to locate the service manual for your deck (online). If the erase function is not working, check the erase head (assume it does not throw up an open circuit). Also check the volts across the erase head. If you don't get any reading, check the wiring from the PCB to the erase head, if that's ok you'll need to run a check on the bias oscillator (usually its got to be the semiconductors or the coils (transformer), check the semicondictors, these are likely to be the suspects. You may have a blown transistor (or integrated circuit).

wow !!!! thanks to all you guys !!!!I'm rediscovering the joys of listening to music again !!!! Listening to quicksilver messenger service "sons of mercury " recorded on a TDK MA tape , on my technics deck (which i hadnt used for a long time , still works perfectly ). seriously , this forum rocks !!!!!:clapping:

Attachments

• Picture 035-001.jpg
    Picture 035-001.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 173
I"ve a good sony TC - S1 cassette deck available. Very good analog sound stage. Also avail 200-300 english cassettes. If anyone interested please inform me

I"ve a good sony TC - S1 cassette deck available. Very good analog sound stage. Also avail 200-300 english cassettes. If anyone interested please inform me

Is it a front loading cassette deck like the car cassette decks or does it have a tray mechanism like a cd player?

Also could be very useful if you can post a list of the cassettes for sale. A lot of us are on the look out for American/UK recordings of english music. I have searched a lot but have only come across local stuff from Magnasound, Sony, BMG, etc. Even if they are Indian recordings and in good shape, many would be interested.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back