Showcase your cassette deck

I have a Sony 3-CD 2 cassette deck which we bought way back in 2005. Was my life savior till the time I got my PC. Will post the pics in a day or two..

Guys can you still buy cassettes to listen to? Also, any ideas of how best to convert Cassettes to digital?

I have around 350 cassettes of priceless music rotting at home -- not sure whether I can ever find some of these in CDs. I have already converted a Shiv Kumar Sharma Raga Kirwani (1980) that I can't find in CDs to a CD format, but no longer have access to a cassette player.

Guys can you still buy cassettes to listen to? Also, any ideas of how best to convert Cassettes to digital?

I have around 350 cassettes of priceless music rotting at home -- not sure whether I can ever find some of these in CDs. I have already converted a Shiv Kumar Sharma Raga Kirwani (1980) that I can't find in CDs to a CD format, but no longer have access to a cassette player.

My 2 cents, it is better to listen to the cassettes themselves, if they are in good shape and if you have a decent deck. Pre-recorded cassettes are not manufactured any more in India, but you may still find a few in small-time shops.

I have around 350 cassettes of priceless music rotting at home...
You might not have meant this literally, but, in fact, they do. Not only does the signal weaken, but it also bleeds in the reel.

I have no idea ow long this takes for audio tapes, though. Maybe not really a practical concern. I remember being told, as a sys admin, that I should not keep data tapes for more than two years, and I remember, on the audio side, hearing that Grateful Dead masters had to have a lot of work done to restore them due to bleeding.

I wonder how my cassettes are doing, up there on the loft...

thank you sir.
you are right, i had a very bad experience with pioneer 25 cd changer, the changer had problems every now n then.

I remember being told, as a sys admin, that I should not keep data tapes for more than two years, and I remember, on the audio side, hearing that Grateful Dead masters had to have a lot of work done to restore them due to bleeding.

I wonder how my cassettes are doing, up there on the loft...

Cassettes can be stored for a long duration of wooden cabinets and not on metal cabinets due to moisture issues. If you plan to not use cassettes for long then i will recommend to keep some silica gel to prevent moisture build-up near by. Especially in humid locations as Mumbai the problem is more prevalent and hence wooden cabinets for storage is encouraged.

Waaah, Booo Hoo, WaaaaaaaH! :sad:

I miss my cassette deck! I had a great one when it was around, probably one of the Best in the world when it came out. Sold it and all my audio gear (miss my TT too) now I regret doing that but it was the only thing I could do at that time and had too. Kept my cassette tapes though. One day I will play them.:licklips:

TECHNICS RS-M95 - The Real Cassette Beast in my house! One of the best cassette deck ever made... - YouTube

Wow!! that's one beast of a cassette deck, I'm sure that it could have given the NAK Dragon, a run for its money!!

Hi all posting in a link for all the cassette decks for auction/sale in the USA.

Anyone interested in picking one up (assuming you have someone in the USA to bid and buy for you) can have a look.

Hope this helps someone in this thread.

[CASSETTE DECK] - price comparison

Vinod

This is a good reference point. However from what I've understood with the American pre-used market, there are generally 4 types of equipment available from non-commercial sellers, namely:

1) equipment stored away for long periods of time and not used, selling to dispose them off
2) equipment in faulty condition, being sold for repairs or for spare parts
3) equipment currently in use, usually claimed to be used in dust-free and smoke-free environments
4) equipment currently in use and also fully re-furbished or serviced by qualiified technicians

A particular model can fall into any of the above categories and prices will vary big time between these, category 4 being the most expensive.

However the article can be used as a reference point, quite effectively. While buying on eBay, the ground rule (that more often than not, works) is that, the less expensive the item, the poorer condition it is likely to be in. Sellers these days are clever and do their pre-sale online research. Gone are the days when you will come across the old granny, clearling her attic or the young kid selling off his grandfather's equipment just to clear the house.

Hi Guys, New here to the forum and I am crazy about cassettes too(Rock and Metal are my favorite genres of music). Luckily I have access to brand new audio tapes since I get mostly obscure metal music. Here's my deck that I picked up about 2 weeks ago... Denon DRW 585.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207371_10152566830785262_1385297922_a.jpg

P.S: I also run a small record label and released my first release Genocide Shrines on audio tape and cd (Death Metal from Sri Lanka)...Here's a picture.
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/735038_10152558707875262_1582054240_n.jpg

I found one teac [model no. V670] single cassette deck and one technics [model m215]....anyone can tell me which one is better...?

I have a Nakamichi BX100 cassettee deck and it works wounderful for me. Very warm and clean sound, good SQ and has lot of head room. Sounds pretty good.:)

Akai CS - F9

467004_652336378115351_692696974_o-1.jpg
Was there at the right place at the right time. Picked this up from a gentleman who had decided to keep his minicompo and sell this. It's the cheaper version of their CS-F11 (without the sendust head)

Got it for a 3 digit sum because the Rewind/FF doesnt work, and neither do the VU meters.

The Rew/FF motor is shorted. guess I'll need to take it apart and clean the commutator. Plan to get hold of some contact cleaner and just shotgun the motor first

The motor took the power supply regulation transistor with it when it shorted, and that killed the VU meter too. it's a 2SD894. Can't seem to find it or an equivalent. Worst case, would have to jugaad an LM 317 based supply. any advice welcome on sourcing the transistors

Last edited:
Used Nakamachi BX-100E purchased 3 months ago in excellent condition.

2wm4ei0.jpg

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back