Showcase your cassette deck

Cassette Decks with me:
1. Nakamichi 600:
DaJlCgw.jpg

2. Sansui D-190:
6WpzY2X.jpg

Here is my new Nakamichi lineup...Not the best ...but hey I am just getting started....

P3270153_zpsggcsqnpu.jpg

My first Nakamichi 480Z...Got it dysfunctional due to a logic issue...Fixed and replaced all rubber part (belts and idler tire)...ended up replacing all orange caps...The Sound from this Nakamichi is something special...I use it for critical listening...Got to understand the working of a classic transport...really neat how the potentiometer in the cam drive is used by an op amp as a feedback loop to detect the various cam positions... it was a great experience restoring it...

P3270159_zpszbciduoj.jpg

BX-300... A good 3 head deck..got it in pristine condition...Ended replacing the back tension belt which turned into Goo...luckily the idler was in top condition..A really good start up 3 header for someone who likes to get a feel of Nak... Great frequency response...

P3270154%202_zpsmo8mwwlw.jpg

Lastly a CR-1 ...BOTL basic deck but certainly does deliver the Nakamichi sound.It uses a sankyo transport really great for everyday use...
The Reels hubs are gear driven which make it more reliable...

P3270153%202_zpsy6bektgr.jpg

I would like to express my gratitude to FM Jayants and ReubenSM, who from day one persuaded me to get a Nak...And ofcourse FM Ram who took the time to explain the nitty gritty of a nak transport and why it is superior to others...I am convinced that Naks are the best when it comes to performance of a cassette deck ..of reliability is completely a different thing...
Guess this not bad for a start...Ofcouse I do have a few technics deck in my prized possession which I will not let go...Will post pics later...
I am really looking forward to add a RX-505 and ZX9 to my collection..

Great start!!

BX 300 u got it from India or abroad?

Here is my new Nakamichi lineup...Not the best ...but hey I am just getting started....

P3270153_zpsggcsqnpu.jpg

My first Nakamichi 480Z...Got it dysfunctional due to a logic issue...Fixed and replaced all rubber part (belts and idler tire)...ended up replacing all orange caps...The Sound from this Nakamichi is something special...I use it for critical listening...Got to understand the working of a classic transport...really neat how the potentiometer in the cam drive is used by an op amp as a feedback loop to detect the various cam positions... it was a great experience restoring it...

P3270159_zpszbciduoj.jpg

BX-300... A good 3 head deck..got it in pristine condition...Ended replacing the back tension belt which turned into Goo...luckily the idler was in top condition..A really good start up 3 header for someone who likes to get a feel of Nak... Great frequency response...

P3270154%202_zpsmo8mwwlw.jpg

Lastly a CR-1 ...BOTL basic deck but certainly does deliver the Nakamichi sound.It uses a sankyo transport really great for everyday use...
The Reels hubs are gear driven which make it more reliable...

P3270153%202_zpsy6bektgr.jpg

I would like to express my gratitude to FM Jayants and ReubenSM, who from day one persuaded me to get a Nak...And ofcourse FM Ram who took the time to explain the nitty gritty of a nak transport and why it is superior to others...I am convinced that Naks are the best when it comes to performance of a cassette deck ..of reliability is completely a different thing...
Guess this not bad for a start...Ofcouse I do have a few technics deck in my prized possession which I will not let go...Will post pics later...
I am really looking forward to add a RX-505 and ZX9 to my collection..

Here are some videos.

https://youtu.be/7bOwI_dj4iA
https://youtu.be/PxK28HcfmuY
https://youtu.be/bYaa3dZSo7s

The third song is a mighty hot recording hitting +10dB throughout. Please don't attempt to do it on your decks. Even though this one was well calibrated and triple checked, I was praying (I still do when I play it) to God to protect the Dolby Chips. Since I fund the THD was very low, in this deck, I just wanted to know how it will sound at +10. I would never ever do this again to any of my decks.

Will upload some videos tomorrow.

Hi tapeheads!!

Would be nice if you can showcase your tape decks. There are many of us out there who still own and enjoy tape deck performance.

I own a Nakamichi DR3 in great condition. The sound of this deck is amazing and miles ahead of any other deck i've heard till date.

Looking forward to seeing your cassette decks.

I have a

1. RX-505
2. DR3 (like yours)
3. Sansui 3110

I think the DR3 is the best bang for the buck deck. Sounds like the RX-505 even though its a 2 head deck. Its door is better than the 505 in terms of loading cassettes and jamming.

The 505 is the WOW factor on the auto reverse flip. But its HUGE vs the DR3 will not fit in a standard rack. My DR3 fits with room to spare.

For just sound I really like the DR3, the RX-505 is really really cool but can't say that it sounds way better.

They all sound good enough, this is tape, its not a FLAC, and it can't be better than the source (record) so no tape is going to be perfect like digital.

Hiss, pops from the recording etc. It just retro, and I appreciate the engineering that it took to make these old decks. Somehow a mp3 does do it for me like vinyl or a decent tape.

I really wish...I wonder if anyone living now knows those formulations. Super Avilyn, Epitaxial etc...Also BASF had done some massive work on tapes..all in the dust now. I think with the technology available today. They can be made much easily and may be cheaper too.

cool stuff, I wish cassettes could make a comeback like vinyl

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back