Shure M44-7 or ortofone 2M red

vmscbe1974

Which is best for Indian film Music listening in Technics Turntable Sl1500 , Hk6550, Cambridge Azur Preamp, Sansui speakers Shure M44-7 or ortofon 2M red kindly guide
Thanks in advance
Regards
Srinivasan

For Indian Bollywood pressings, that too in pre-used condition, the M44-7 wins. If the records are great pressings and in pristine condition, other carts will outperform the M44-7.

In case you want Shure, go for the M97xe. If you look around the net a bit it can be had for under ten grand. Its a high compliance cartridge and will work well with a range of low mass budget arms and tracks beautifully. The brush actually helps deal with warped records.

Increase the budget over the 2M Red and get the DENON DL-110, DENON DL- 103 (if you have an MC step up) personally i feel these are great cartridges at any price range.

Last week i ordered the OM30 stylus. I will be replacing the heavy Pro-s stylus with these. Consignment expected in another 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Will Nagaoka MP-110 be better than the above said all the carts for Indian Bollywood records? Thanks.

the mp110 is a decent compromise between the two
I am comparing my MP110 stylus on a MP10 body with my M44-7 & an OM5.
The 2M is 2 generations newer than the OM ( OM-> OM Super -> 2M), but have been told the sound signature is similar, and styli are compatble

the M44 has a big forward and punchy sound, probably the best for old bollywood records, but the high end is not so refined. the OM gives better highs, but at the cost of the low end . the nagaoka gives both. another alternative is the M44 with an elliptical jico stylus.

the problem is that the MP110 is not worth the additional cost compared to the others. I would rather have an M44 with a regular & a jico elliptical stylus. the nagaoka gives that list bit of sparkle, but for me the cost is not worth it ( i bought it for cheap in japan, but us/uk prices for it are crazy)

Last edited:
I use the m-447 on my 1200 and the 1210 and they are great vfm carts. However there are many out there which will clearly out perform these. I use the m-97xe on my 401 :D

Seriously thinking of the 103 on one of the 1200s and the 401, will give this a shot soon.

Cheers...

the mp110 is a decent compromise between the two
I am comparing my MP110 stylus on a MP10 body with my M44-7 & an OM5.
The 2M is 2 generations newer than the OM ( OM-> OM Super -> 2M), but have been told the sound signature is similar, and styli are compatble

the M44 has a big forward and punchy sound, probably the best for old bollywood records, but the high end is not so refined. the OM gives better highs, but at the cost of the low end . the nagaoka gives both. another alternative is the M44 with an elliptical jico stylus.

the problem is that the MP110 is not worth the additional cost compared to the others. I would rather have an M44 with a regular & a jico elliptical stylus. the nagaoka gives that list bit of sparkle, but for me the cost is not worth it ( i bought it for cheap in japan, but us/uk prices for it are crazy)

I am using M 44-7 with JICO stylus. The purpose is to reduce the biggie bass and toning smooth highs. And JICO does this with ease and so well. Very good performance for old bollywood records

Thanks,
Sourav

I bought the jico from their website, shipping is a tad on the higher side plus I paid about 500 rupees customs....

Wanted the denon 103 but I think I'll settle for the nagaoka mp 110 since I believe the denon is not very forgiving to the kind of records we get here locally....

I am using Shure M44-7 with Jico, bollywood sounds very good and the cart tracks even warped records easily, infact I have nick named it 'horse cart' !:eek:hyeah:

I bought JICO stylus (M 44-7) from JICO official site. Next purchase will be JICO SAS for Shure V15 type III.

Thanks,
Sourav

Sourav, is your JICO M44-7 SAS? What are the sound qualities between regular stylus of JICO and JICO SAS?.

Back